• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The “12 days after Thanksgiving” doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with Thanksgiving since deaths reported are often weeks or months behind when the death occurred.

The figure was for deaths that day, not delayed reporting.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Then it’s incomplete because of the lag in reporting

And unfortunately whatever lag there is will likely not change the fact it was the highest single day death toll from the virus in this country since the pandemic began, thus far.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
And unfortunately whatever lag there is will likely not change the fact it was the highest single day death toll from the virus in this country since the pandemic began, thus far.
There’s always Christmas but the way previous spikes have gone, hopefully not

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
There seems to be a growing amount of information that Ivermectin used as a prophylactic could be a great tool - and its cheap. What's confusing big Pharma and traditional MD's are calling this quackery but a lot of scientists are pushing back. There is some politics wrapped up in all this.

SlickAg

pilot
Or maybe people are just being people and ignoring mask mandates enough to spread the virus. I've worked in two places the past few months with large populations of employees with mandated mask wearing, that has been strictly enforced, along with other mitigations and both places have had minimal cases and even less spread of the virus (less than 100 cases of a total population for both of well over 20,000) even as cases in the surrounding areas have increased. This is with both having a full time workforce on site almost every workday.

Coupled with fact that every health professional I know personally, friend and family, along with the entire international public health establishment to include any local, state or national public health agency saying that wearing a mask along with social distancing other risk mitigations are critical in helping stop the spread of the virus, I'll heed their advice and not that of random folks on the internet no matter how many posts they produce an hour.
You’re right, we should continue heeding their advice. It’s worked out well, just ask California!

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Serious question since I am in Japan and don't see ordinary life in the States, but in your and everyone else's experience on the forums here matching this data? I'd be willing to say in Japan those numbers hold - it remains an uncommon sight to see someone maskless nowadays outside of their own home, but I'd be shocked if these numbers were actually true in the U.S. I know for sure that at least one side of my family feels like it's a crock of bull and they find opportunities or excuses to go maskless it seems like. My perception is that matches the news.

Having just come from California, I saw nearly 100% mask wearing and compliance with restrictions.

On a side note, here is a new report backing up the Chinese data that shows asymptomatic transmission is not statistically significant.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Does that study break out asymptomatic vs presymptomatic? Some literature out there uses the terms interchangeably but there is a subtle but distinct difference. A lot of people don't even realize those are two different words (not intended as a slight on people's intelligence, just a point about how things are in the world).

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Because masks work and if masks aren’t working it’s because people aren’t wearing masks because masks work? I’ll add you and taxi1 to the list of circular logic offenders within the past couple days.
That's pretty much exactly what's happening.

In the NE where they do contact tracing, fewer than 1% of COVID-19 cases occur in public places where CDC guidelines are rigorously followed. People are having friends and family at their residence, aren't following the guidelines when doing so, and some of those people are showing up with minor symptoms but it's clearly not covid-19 because they're not dying (my own Pancho Villa is I don't believe in asymptomatic spread, I just think people lie about minor illnesses because they have to work to make money).

Personally I don't give a shit because my black heart says if you want to kill yourself then go right ahead. I also think that life is too short and precious to spend major events in isolation, and missing some for deployments has amplified that feeling. So if you're going to tell me that I have a 0.001% chance of dying for spending Thanksgiving with my family I'd prefer to roll that dice and have fun reminiscing over dinner. If I die from Covid-19 then I would be happy I spent my last year living life.

But don't rail against the state and municipal guidance when the reason the vast majority of people who get sick is they decided not to follow the guidelines.

Last edited: