• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

Treetop Flyer

pilot
That's pretty much exactly what's happening.

In the NE where they do contact tracing, fewer than 1% of COVID-19 cases occur in public places where CDC guidelines are rigorously followed. People are having friends and family at their residence, aren't following the guidelines when doing so, and some of those people are showing up with minor symptoms but it's clearly not covid-19 because they're not dying (my own Pancho Villa is I don't believe in asymptomatic spread, I just think people lie about minor illnesses because they have to work to make money).

Personally I don't give a shit because my black heart says if you want to kill yourself then go right ahead. I also think that life is too short and precious to spend major events in isolation, and missing some for deployments has amplified that feeling. So if you're going to tell me that I have a 0.001% chance of dying for spending Thanksgiving with my family I'd prefer to roll that dice and have fun reminiscing over dinner. If I die from Covid-19 then I would be happy I spent my last year living life.

But don't rail against the state and municipal guidance when the reason the vast majority of people who get sick is they decided not to follow the guidelines.
Then the guidance should be to isolate if you have symptoms. Masks have always been pointless.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Because masks work and if masks aren’t working it’s because people aren’t wearing masks because masks work? I’ll add you and taxi1 to the list of circular logic offenders within the past couple days.

Actually, not at all because of that, but striclty based on anecdotal evidence (family saying they don't see friends wearing masks, buddies in San Diego saying they don't, friends' facebook and IG stories that show they clearly aren't wearing masks) and based on news reports indicating that mask wearing in the U.S. is less than many other countries.

Mos

None
Just curious if anyone can explain where the flu has gone this year?

View attachment 28667
Here's the CDC's study of the issue. Proposes that the main thing that's different from last year (pandemic mitigation measures) probably had an effect on the transmission of flu.

SlickAg

pilot
Curious where this is from since this is purporting to show where symptoms are worst; aren't most of the COVID symptoms... "ILI?"
Initially from Dr. David Samadi’s Twitter page, but here’s some screencaps I grabbed myself. I highly recommend checking out the CDC’s weekly flu report. That’s where the data I posted below in the response to @Mos is coming from.

Last edited:

SlickAg

pilot
Here's the CDC's study of the issue. Proposes that the main thing that's different from last year (pandemic mitigation measures) probably had an effect on the transmission of flu.
Let me get that right: the CDC is essentially saying that mask wearing, social distancing, and washing your hands is working to mitigate the flu...if that’s the case then how do we explain the rise in covid cases?

These numbers are insane. Five year historical average of 15.8% positive compared to .1% this year? Something clearly doesn’t add up.

Last edited:

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Let me get that right: the CDC is essentially saying that mask wearing, social distancing, and washing your hands is working to mitigate the flu...if that’s the case then how do we explain the rise in covid cases?

These numbers are insane. Five year historical average of 15.8% positive compared to .1% this year? Something clearly doesn’t add up.

View attachment 28669

;)

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Actually, not at all because of that, but striclty based on anecdotal evidence (family saying they don't see friends wearing masks, buddies in San Diego saying they don't, friends' facebook and IG stories that show they clearly aren't wearing masks) and based on news reports indicating that mask wearing in the U.S. is less than many other countries.

The same news that said the riots were just "peaceful protests"? Most major news outlets have their own agenda when it comes to this virus. I'll believe what I see with my own 2 eyes, again, where I live in MD you aren't going into any store or building without a face covering. If you're outside and not within 6ft of another human for more than 15 minutes why wear a mask? Should I wear a mask while jogging or riding my bike, surf fishing on the beach, playing in the park with my kids?

Sonog

pilot

View attachment 28669

The flu has a vaccine. The strong COVID mitigations combined with broad herd immunity provided by a widely distributed vaccine is very effective.

SlickAg

pilot
The flu has a vaccine. The strong COVID mitigations combined with broad herd immunity provided by a widely distributed vaccine is very effective.
The flu has had a vaccine for decades. It’s not even well known if flu shots work in people aged over 65. Besides, flu shot numbers haven’t even doubled from 2019.

So if you want to credit a 118% reduction in flu cases this year due to covid mitigation measures, how come these same measures that for all intents and purposes are eradicating the flu are seemingly so ineffective against covid?

P.S. Isn’t it more enlightening to engage I’m informed discussion instead of ad hominem attacks?

Last edited:

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot

I tend to agree, and I also think masks have some effectiveness greater than 0% but obviously less than 100%. No one solution is key, it takes a few things to make a dent (it'll never be 100%). Also, FWIW, staying home while you're sick has been part of the official guidance since day 1. That used to be considered common sense... although I recognize not everyone has a choice.

Unfortunately, we are just about to the point where someone could say the sky is blue, and half of America would be preparing to disagree, simply based on their opinion of that person or group, rather than the objective statement. Civil discourse is unfortunately not our strong suit as a nation or culture. Many people also seem primed to believe in a conspiracy, even when the logistics of that conspiracy indicate it is extremely unlikely.

Just my $0.02.

Last edited:

taxi1

pilot
how come these same measures that for all intents and purposes are eradicating the flu are seemingly so ineffective against covid?
COVID is more contagious.

What we’ve done has been effective in lowering COVID’s R0, it just has been bouncing around near R0=1. The same actions would drive the flu’s R0 to well below 1.

The new variant supposedly adds .3 - .5 to R0.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Then the guidance should be to isolate if you have symptoms. Masks have always been pointless.
That is the guidance. Except it's impossible for most people to execute because if they don't work then they don't get paid, especially most workers in essential businesses like big box retailers and grocery stores. Why we haven't passed any laws that require workers to get paid sick days regardless of part / full time employment status instead of writing checks every 6 months is beyond me.

No one guideline is a silver bull to preventing the spread of COVID-19. They work together.

exNavyOffRec

That is the guidance. Except it's impossible for most people to execute because if they don't work then they don't get paid, especially most workers in essential businesses like big box retailers and grocery stores. Why we haven't passed any laws that require workers to get paid sick days regardless of part / full time employment status instead of writing checks every 6 months is beyond me.

No one guideline is a silver bull to preventing the spread of COVID-19. They work together.
Some companies gave sick days for people who had or had been exposed to COVID early on, not sure how many still are, I know one person who told his manager he had been around a person that had tested positive for COVID, he was given 14 days paid sick leave just like that. I have a friend who has a son who works at a company close to me, twice during the past 6 months he felt ill at work displaying COVID symptoms, he was sent home and under their policy was given COVID sick leave until a negative test came back.