• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

SlickAg

pilot
Another interesting set of graphs, the data is from Europe so clearly it doesn’t apply to America (sarcasm), but it doesn’t appear as though lockdowns impacted the curve of deaths.

In other news, Gavin Newsom just closed all restaurants and bars in the state of California to contain the spread of covid. In other words, he’s saying it’s safer to stay at home than it is to eat outside.

taxi1

pilot
Pretty fascinating. I don’t see how you can look at this data and not see the clear effect that the media hysteria has had on people.
These young people look hysterical.

im-189679
well-bar-getty-mediumSquareAt3X.jpg

We just had a weekend which is traditionally a big party one (ArtsFest, Nittany03 knows about it) and although the fest was cancelled, lots of students showed up anyway. Lots of loud mask-free partying going on all weekend. Not sending a good signal for the campus reopening in the Fall.

SlickAg

pilot
These young people look hysterical.

im-189679
well-bar-getty-mediumSquareAt3X.jpg

We just had a weekend which is traditionally a big party one (ArtsFest, Nittany03 knows about it) and although the fest was cancelled, lots of students showed up anyway. Lots of loud mask-free partying going on all weekend. Not sending a good signal for the campus reopening in the Fall.
I can also find pictures of young people not wearing masks while out and about.

But yes, when a demographic has been led to believe that the virus is 30 times deadlier for them it actually is, I think we could fairly call that a result of media hysteria.

So to be clear, you’re upset about the lack of mask-wearing, but NOT about the gathering in groups over 10 (or whatever the arbitrary number is in your jurisdiction)?

taxi1

pilot
But yes, when a demographic has been led to believe that the virus is 30 times deadlier for them it actually is, I think we could fairly call that a result of media hysteria.
Actions speak louder than words, and their actions say that they think they're immortal. Like all young people.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Actions speak louder than words, and their actions say that they think they're immortal. Like all young people.
Those young people in the bar face more risk from other viruses they can contract from there than COVID.

Oh and speaking of lockdowns not being effective, California is shutting down pretty much everything indoors, again.

taxi1

pilot
Those young people in the bar face more risk from other viruses they can contract from there than COVID.
It's not too much about them getting sick (although we've had a 21 year old student die from it already) as it is propagating through the University and the town.

We had a survey of all students, faculty, and staff here. For all categories, the fear was much more of transmitting it to someone else who then dies, rather than their own health risk. This actually gives me hope we can pull this off, if people can stay selfless.

SlickAg

pilot
Yeah and it turns out the data is heavily on their side. 18-34 year olds in California have a .073% chance of dying from covid. I’m not an actuary but I feel like there’s a lot riskier behavior in which people their age could be participating.

In fact, in California, almost 47% of the population, those 34 and under, represent only 1.2% of deaths.

Do you think the numbers in Pennsylvania will be significantly different?
https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/Pages/COVID-19/COVID-19-Cases-by-Age-Group.aspx

SlickAg

pilot
It's not too much about them getting sick (although we've had a 21 year old student die from it already) as it is propagating through the University and the town.

We had a survey of all students, faculty, and staff here. For all categories, the fear was much more of transmitting it to someone else who then dies, rather than their own health risk. This actually gives me hope we can pull this off, if people can stay selfless.
But if everyone wears a mask there’s virtually zero risk right?

taxi1

pilot
But if everyone wears a mask there’s virtually zero risk right?
Almost.

If everyone wears a mask, it drives the risk towards zero by making R0 < 1.

New Zealand and Taiwan are both back open and operating normally, mask-free. They were smart. We're not.

They’ve mandated masks for a while.
Mandating != actually doing it, unfortunately.

SlickAg

pilot
Almost.

New Zealand and Taiwan are both back open and operating normally, mask-free. They were smart. We're not.

So you're saying it's because New Zealand wore masks?

See, I would say it's because of their absolute border lockdown and mandatory testing and subsequent 14 day quarantine of EVERYONE who came into the country.

But I guess we're entitled to our own opinion.

Almost.

Okay, so if California has had mandatory masking for almost a month now (since June 18th), you're saying it's because statewide, the people (who have voted into office some of the most liberal politicians in this country) are NOT complying with the mandatory mask order that their elected officials have mandated?

There's two scenarios at play here:
  1. Scientific/medical: Masks aren't this panacea which everyone claims. End result: masks don't work.
  2. Ethical/Philosophical/Moral: People are willfully violating this order for various reasons. State decides to lock down again. End result: de jure - mandatory mask orders don't work; de facto - masks don't work if people can’t/won’t wear them.
Clearly, you believe in scenario 2, so what steps should the government take to ensure that their mandatory mask order is followed?

Last edited:

Treetop Flyer

pilot
So you're saying it's because New Zealand wore masks?

See, I would say it's because of their absolute border lockdown and mandatory testing and subsequent 14 day quarantine of EVERYONE who came into the country.

But I guess we're entitled to our own opinion.

Okay, so if California has had mandatory masking for almost a month now (since June 18th), you're saying it's because statewide, the people (who have voted into office some of the most liberal politicians in this country) are NOT complying with the mandatory mask order that their elected officials have mandated?

There's two scenarios at play here:
  1. Scientific/medical: Masks aren't this panacea which everyone claims. End result: masks don't work.
  2. Ethical/Philosophical/Moral: People are willfully violating this order for various reasons. State decides to lock down again. End result: de jure - mandatory mask orders don't work; de facto - masks don't work if people can’t/won’t wear them.
Clearly, you believe in scenario 2, so what steps should the government take to ensure that their mandatory mask order is followed?
He already told us masks would do away with the virus. So if it’s increasing despite the mask mandate then obviously it’s because people aren’t wearing masks.