• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

SlickAg

pilot
Yes, but what about the non-coastal agricultural areas and border cities that have had increases?

California is a "blue" state that is also having large "spikes". Just my humble opinion, but it seems that some members of the media are attributing the rise in cases in Florida, Texas, and Arizona due to their Republican governors' opening up policies. California has had mandatory mask rules, closed beaches and restaurants, and yet their numbers still go up. But they're never really mentioned in the same breath as the those other three states.

Perhaps because a blue state with lockdowns still getting increases in number of cases doesn't jive with the narrative?
@Spekkio this is what I was driving at in terms of California not getting the same mentions as FL, TX, and AZ. And it’s from Bloomberg, so I don’t think anyone can claim that they’re biased, much less hyper-partisan.

“It’s pretty obvious why California and Newsom haven’t been pummeled the way Florida, Texas and Arizona have. California is a Democratic state. Newsom is a Democratic governor. Bringing up California’s pandemic woes punctures the critics’ narrative that Republican mismanagement is the reason for the scary surge in infections.”

taxi1

pilot
“It’s pretty obvious why California and Newsom haven’t been pummeled the way Florida, Texas and Arizona have. California is a Democratic state. Newsom is a Democratic governor. Bringing up California’s pandemic woes punctures the critics’ narrative that Republican mismanagement is the reason for the scary surge in infections.”
An article...

On March 1, California seemed destined to be pummeled by the coronavirus. America’s most populous state has large, crowded cities and a diverse population, and travel between it and Asia and Europe is prodigious. Seattle, another West Coast hub, had just become the first U.S. city to be hit by the virus, and a cruise ship crawling with COVID-19 was about to enter San Francisco Bay.

Three months later, California had weathered the virus’s first storm. By June 1, the state had experienced a total of 115,000 cases and 4,200 deaths. In contrast, New York State, its population half that of California, had seen 372,000 cases and 29,900 deaths, not counting thousands more who died at home. Had California’s per capita mortality rate equaled New York’s, 55,000 more people would have died.

I and others dubbed it the “California miracle.”

A month later, the miracle has evaporated. Case and hospitalization rates in California have doubled since early June. Although mortality rates have lagged, deaths will invariably follow. So will finger-pointing. How did the Golden State manage to screw things up after such a promising start? California’s experience shows that doing the right thing matters—but gives you no special privilege when you stop doing it.

original.png

SlickAg

pilot
An article...

On March 1, California seemed destined to be pummeled by the coronavirus. America’s most populous state has large, crowded cities and a diverse population, and travel between it and Asia and Europe is prodigious. Seattle, another West Coast hub, had just become the first U.S. city to be hit by the virus, and a cruise ship crawling with COVID-19 was about to enter San Francisco Bay.

Three months later, California had weathered the virus’s first storm. By June 1, the state had experienced a total of 115,000 cases and 4,200 deaths. In contrast, New York State, its population half that of California, had seen 372,000 cases and 29,900 deaths, not counting thousands more who died at home. Had California’s per capita mortality rate equaled New York’s, 55,000 more people would have died.

A month later, the miracle has evaporated. Case and hospitalization rates in California have doubled since early June. Although mortality rates have lagged, deaths will invariably follow. So will finger-pointing. How did the Golden State manage to screw things up after such a promising start? California’s experience shows that doing the right thing matters—but gives you no special privilege when you stop doing it.

original.png
Got a graph that shows the normalized death rates compared to every other state? Cases are going up, but the death rates still don’t come anywhere close to what we saw in March/April. And now of course the media continues their shift to rising cases as the justification to shut everything down again.

Did you ever get a chance to watch those videos? I think it would help you understand what the author of that paper you read thinks his findings mean.

Also never saw a post with your views about why Canada is calling for no more lockdowns, Europe has already reopened schools, science doesn’t support lockdowns, and yet the media and the left here is calling for another round of lockdowns.

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
An article...

original.png
Love this part:
“Regardless of the reason Californians lowered their defenses, the virus seized the opportunity. The coronavirus doesn’t care that you had a terrific March and April, nor is it interested in who you vote for, that you don’t like the look or feel of masks, or that you’re desperate to get your job back and see your friends. It is interested only in whether it can find a warm, moist home in the back of your throat or nose. And, in June, too many Californians made those parts of their anatomy available to the coronavirus.”

The very end of the article tees up an interesting challenge for California to do its creative best to normalize COVID-19 fighting behavior. Best example I can think of is “Don’t Mess With Texas.” Possibly the world’s most effective behavior change initiative. They successfully equated road littering with being un-Texan. They added a simple and brilliant marketing campaign complete with Willy Nelson. The campaign paid for itself so many times over I’m amazed it hasn’t been replicated since.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
If you're going to bring up theoretical deaths of people who haven't yet perished on account of COVID19, you have to also discuss the deaths caused by lockdown -- poverty, depression, drugs, alcohol, suicide, etc. Yes, the lockdown causes death. I said it.
I read the cited paper, that’s not what it says.
An article...
It must be nice to be able to gloss over a serious issue and feel, what...is it nothing? Is that what a lack of empathy feels like?

Did you ever get a chance to watch those videos? I think it would help you understand what the author of that paper you read thinks his findings mean.
@SlickAg, you don't seriously think he's taking anything in, do you? I don't agree with everything you guys post, but I do my best to consider it all. He's on transmit and the freq is jammed. It's hard to watch this back and forth without any real productive discussion or exchange of ideas.

taxi1

pilot
Got a graph that shows the normalized death rates compared to every other state?

original.png

I don't know about you, but having to be admitted to the hospital is no small deal. They close them off from elective procedures, the stays are incredibly expensive, the people are often messed up for long periods of time afterward. Hardly something to brag about

This is from another article from The Atlantic.

taxi1

pilot
Is that what a lack of empathy feels like?
Seriously?

Thanks to the absolute failure of leadership by the current administration probably a 100,000 US citizens are going to unnecessarily die while its supporters argue about T-Cell immunity. While they say the dead were going to die soon anyway so they don't matter.

Any SAR pilots here ever think, "They're old and will die soon, I'll skip the rescue?" That is essentially the argument being made. Unbelievable.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
original.png

I don't know about you, but having to be admitted to the hospital is no small deal. They close them off from elective procedures, the stays are incredibly expensive, the people are often messed up for long periods of time afterward. Hardly something to brag about

This is from another article from The Atlantic.

You just claimed that a declining death rate is “hardly something to brag about”? First of all who is “bragging”? Perhaps you should take a breather.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Seriously?

Thanks to the absolute failure of leadership by the current administration probably a 100,000 US citizens are going to unnecessarily die while its supporters argue about T-Cell immunity. While they say the dead were going to die soon anyway so they don't matter.

Any SAR pilots here ever think, "They're old and will die soon, I'll skip the rescue?" That is essentially the argument being made. Unbelievable.
That’s not the argument, that’s your idiotic counter because you’re mad your chicken little shtick isn’t working

Edit: also, most of us are providing opinions of scientists and doctors. Thanks for repeatedly providing partisan opinion pieces from The Atlantic

SlickAg

pilot
No, I just sad a rapidly increasing number of hospitalizations is hardly something to brag about.
That’s what hospitals are there for. No one is saying it’s a “good” thing. But relatively speaking, the death rate going down from this is a GREAT thing. The hospitalizations stays are shorter and most people are getting less critically ill.

These infections were always going to happen.

The point of the lockdowns was to flatten the curve so hospitals didn’t get overwhelmed. NOT to make the virus disappear completely. What is hard to understand about this? This was always going to happen the first time there was community spread. The area under the curve stays the same, it’s just stretched out further on the x-axis.

SlickAg

pilot
@SlickAg, you don't seriously think he's taking anything in, do you? I don't agree with everything you guys post, but I do my best to consider it all. He's on transmit and the freq is jammed. It's hard to watch this back and forth without any real productive discussion or exchange of ideas.
Not really. It’s always been political for people like him. It always comes back to Orange Man Bad. Case in point: “Thanks to the absolute failure of leadership by the current administration probably a 100,000 US citizens are going to unnecessarily die while its supporters argue about T-Cell immunity.” He can’t even grasp that T cell immunity could be a MAJOR reason why the death rate hasn’t been higher. He’s just angry that I posted articles and links about it instead of disparaging the current administration’s response.

I don’t think we should all live in this echo chamber where we’re just aggressively agreeing with each other’s opinions, quite the contrary. The people whose videos and twitter feeds I’ve been sharing have been saying this all along: this group think mindset where no one questions the herd mentality can have catastrophic consequences.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Seriously?

No, I would never send my SAR swimmer into a capsized boat.

Respectfully, I'm asking you to really read what I've written and engage in a discussion about it. I am just as horrified as you about all the people who have died and will likely die due to COVID. But I am also horrified by the unintended ramifications of the lockdown and the government's slow response and inability to change its approach. The devastating side-effects of the lockdown are far reaching beyond anything we have really discussed here. I'm asking you to come out of the trench and consider that, perhaps, there is more to this than what we all see on the 24/7 news. I'm not asking you to agree with everything @SlickAg and @Treetop Flyer says, but to come to an understanding that there is a middle path forward.

You can throw another graph up of how many people have died. I get it. Or we can have a productive discussion about how to mitigate the devastation going forward. If we can't do that here, as relatively civil Naval Aviators, how can we expect the rest of the country to talk to each other?

SlickAg

pilot
On Sweden’s impending herd immunity:

“Intensive care units are getting empty, the wards are getting empty, we are really seeing a decrease — and that despite that people are really loosening up. The beaches are crowded, social distancing is not kept very well … but still the numbers are really decreasing. That means that something else is happening – we are actually getting closer to herd immunity. I can’t really see another reason.”

On pesky T cells:

“We found that if you have a mild case you can be negative for antibodies afterwards … in those almost all of them had strong T-cell activity. This study says that there are cases that you can have a strong T-cell response even though you have not had antibodies, meaning that you have encountered the virus and built up immunity.”