• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Consequences for Veterans and/or retirees in the 2021 DC Riots

GroundPounder

Weird that it was so widely reported that he was murdered with a fire extinguisher

I have seen video where a guy chunks a fire extinguisher that hits what appears to be a police officer in the head. The shots that I have seen make it look like the person had a helmet on, and it bounced off. I don't doubt that in all the chaos a lot of what got reported did not happen the way they say.

Just so I don't get misquoted, I am not saying that there was any organized disinformation conspiracy, just misreporting as it relates to this part of the event.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
No, it's not. It's job is to make money. You keep confusing what you want the media to do with what the media actually does.
I think you’re wrong. The media themselves claim (often) to serve a public purpose. The news media get credentials and access in war zones to embed with U.S. troops as war correspondents. Raytheon, Blackwater, and Halliburton don’t get that kind of embedded access and protection, but obviously it’d be to their benefit. The news media frequently cite sources secretly and wear it as a badge of honor to reject court subpoenas seeking to reveal their sources. Normal private sector companies don’t have that luxury - nor do they even claim to. The media have published and continue to publish classified information. Regular Americans would be arrested and their communications would be searched with a warrant if they were posting classified info online. The media have regular access to the press gallery in Congress, to the White House briefing room, etc. - access that for-profit lobbyists would kill for - but the press get for free because it’s acknowledged that they are there to provide a public service. When the financial media learn about a scandal from someone inside a company (eg Enron), it’s considered protected freedom of the press and not insider trading or corporate espionage to gain those proprietary details from a corporate insider.

SlickAg

pilot
I think you’re wrong. The media themselves claim (often) to serve a public purpose. The news media get credentials and access in war zones to embed with U.S. troops as war correspondents. Raytheon, Blackwater, and Halliburton don’t get that kind of embedded access and protection, but obviously it’d be to their benefit. The news media frequently cite sources secretly and wear it as a badge of honor to reject court subpoenas seeking to reveal their sources. Normal private sector companies don’t have that luxury - nor do they even claim to. The media have published and continue to publish classified information. Regular Americans would be arrested and their communications would be searched with a warrant if they were posting classified info online. The media have regular access to the press gallery in Congress, to the White House briefing room, etc. - access that for-profit lobbyists would kill for - but the press get for free because it’s acknowledged that they are there to provide a public service. When the financial media learn about a scandal from someone inside a company (eg Enron), it’s considered protected freedom of the press and not insider trading or corporate espionage to gain those proprietary details from a corporate insider.
Couldn’t agree more. @Pags, I’d love to see your response to this, because I’m in firm agreement with him here.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think it would be more honest if our 24/7 cable "news" outlets were not even called "news" channels. There will always be editing of news stories and that editing will reflect a certain left/right orientation. How many times have we seen a headline that is completely misrepresentative of the story below, or contradictory facts in the same story buried two columns in? We, however, are at a place where the big opinion personalities on the news stations influence content on other programs that are ostensibly hard news. Non-journalists that are nothing more than partisan spokespersons appear to provide "analysist" and "comment". Stars like Hannity and Cuomo will appear in other programs to comment. WTF? I have no idea what value these people bring to a story about covid vaccine logistics, the B737 MAX return to service or even the minimum wage. I think there are enough econ profs, public health and logistics experts and former FAA certification people to provide analysis. Donna Bazile, Karl Rove and Van Jones have nothing of news value to offer.

Our cable news offerings should be called 'Infotainment" programing and they should drop any pretense of being news outlets. Take a look at the 24 hour line up of programs. Even being generous with the definition of news content, only a couple programs are hard news in 24 hours of content. Everything else is your Rachel Maddow, Hannity, Morning Joe, Don Lemon, Steve Hinton, etc. That is all opinion and infotainment. They have become TMZ, and Inside Edition. Interestingly, CNN, FOX, and MSNBC websites have pretty straight news articles. CBS, ABC, NBC, my local non-affiliated stations, all have news programs, proportionally not much less than CNN or FOX, and no one considers them news channels.

There is lots of talk now about dropping social media accounts. I know folks that have done so. I suggest simply dropping cable news. I rarely see it. My local news will reliable inform me of the blizzard in the north east, coup in Burma, the shooting on the west side and as a bonus, the weatherman doing a remote with a Gila Monster as Punxsutawney Phil. Hey, support your local business. Ditch Big News. Free your brain.

Pags

N/A
pilot
You're welcome to think whatever you like.

I think the media saying they serve a public purpose is part of their business so that you think they're helping you and are willing to give them money. However, as Americans I think we want a free press for various reasons but that's a different discussion then how the media sells their wares.

Media gets special access because the govt gives it to them. The govt gives it them because there are some people who are smart enough to know that having some modicum of control over the narrative is a better idea than not offering them access. Otherwise the newsmen will get there somehow and say whatever they want. The CSSs don't get that because they said they'd do what was in their contract. They took that risk as private businesses.

You're confusing rules for people who are employed either directly or via contracts with the US Government with Free Enterprise. It's illegal for folks who can access secrets to give them out. But I don't think there's much that can be done once they get out as most of those rules and associated punishments only extend to employees of the govt (and their contractors). If a private individual was super smart and reverse engineered stealth technology in their garage using their own money and made it open source there's not much the govt could do to that guy other than be really mad and maybe offer him a job.

I'm no lawyer but I'd imagine that protecting sources is covered under business rules akin to NDAs and other contractual agreements. Also, there's no law for them have to reveal sources. I'd imagine it's akin to a private business dealing and proprietary type information. Also, there's that whole 1st amendment thing and the media companies have good lawyers backed up by the 1st amendment.

Again, there's only so much control the government can have over a business in a capitalist society.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
... the weatherman doing a remote with a Gila Monster as Punxsutawney Phil.
If the weatherman pronounces that G in Gila with a guttural sound instead of a soft h then I might be a fan for life. If they use a hard g sound then I'm changing the channel.

(I might be a shitposter but I'm kind of a renaissance man at the same time.)

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
If the weatherman pronounces that G in Gila with a guttural sound instead of a soft h then I might be a fan for life. If they use a hard g sound then I'm changing the channel.

I dig it. I would be traumatized if I had to watch Mahilla Hoyrillia.

alwyn2nd

Getting back to the topic at hand so to speak regarding retirees storming or strolling through the Capitol building on Jan 6, 2021 and being arrested and charged. I would like for Lt Col larry brock to be the poster boy for the insurrection by intimidation until a more senior officer can replace him. I love the following to happen IF found guilty. Obviously he WON'T. Loss of job, expensive attorney fees, loss of military pension and why not a 10 year prison sentence. Out in 5 for good behavior. Wait a minute, he did loose his job, he is asking for a public defender due to a lack of funds, and his ex wife turned him in. Good job lady. Even Maj Gen Benedict Arnold served honorably before becoming a traitor to our nation. When you want to overturn a national election verified by Congress through intimidation in my eyes you are just that, a traitor. Recall him back to active duty for sentencing. What charge you may asked? How about unbecoming as a Military Officer. He took the oath in defending the Constitution several times, not in destroying it. An extreme example must be made of military Officers whether serving active, reserve or retired. I'm afraid our democracy is still an experiment after 244 years and was tested on the Capitol steps on Jan 6, 2021.

Served as an officer in Vietnam and Desert Storm before retiring. I didn't pull multiple tours in the Mid East as he did but I was shot down twice in RVN.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Doesnt happen in AZ.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
You're welcome to think whatever you like.

I think the media saying they serve a public purpose is part of their business so that you think they're helping you and are willing to give them money. However, as Americans I think we want a free press for various reasons but that's a different discussion then how the media sells their wares.

Media gets special access because the govt gives it to them. The govt gives it them because there are some people who are smart enough to know that having some modicum of control over the narrative is a better idea than not offering them access. Otherwise the newsmen will get there somehow and say whatever they want. The CSSs don't get that because they said they'd do what was in their contract. They took that risk as private businesses.

You're confusing rules for people who are employed either directly or via contracts with the US Government with Free Enterprise. It's illegal for folks who can access secrets to give them out. But I don't think there's much that can be done once they get out as most of those rules and associated punishments only extend to employees of the govt (and their contractors). If a private individual was super smart and reverse engineered stealth technology in their garage using their own money and made it open source there's not much the govt could do to that guy other than be really mad and maybe offer him a job.

I'm no lawyer but I'd imagine that protecting sources is covered under business rules akin to NDAs and other contractual agreements. Also, there's no law for them have to reveal sources. I'd imagine it's akin to a private business dealing and proprietary type information. Also, there's that whole 1st amendment thing and the media companies have good lawyers backed up by the 1st amendment.

Again, there's only so much control the government can have over a business in a capitalist society.
Your post shows a complete ignorance and disregard for an established profession that has long standing norms and ethics.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Your post shows a complete ignorance and disregard for an established profession that has long standing norms and ethics.
Journalism? Really? Means nothing if you don't follow them and the profession imposes consequences for violating norms and ethics.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
There is lots of talk now about dropping social media accounts. I know folks that have done so. I suggest simply dropping cable news. I rarely see it. My local news will reliable inform me of the blizzard in the north east, coup in Burma, the shooting on the west side and as a bonus, the weatherman doing a remote with a Gila Monster as Punxsutawney Phil. Hey, support your local business. Ditch Big News. Free your brain.

Agreed!

A half hour of news is all you really need. Local news is important. You want someone reporting on the city council meeting. Its easy to get wrapped up in national politics, but local politics in important too.

I happen to prefer text based news, so enjoy local newspapers. My local paper has to be the Washington Post. I pay for a digital subscription. They provide provide plenty of local news in addition to the political coverage which they are know for elsewhere. But your local city paper is great.

After your city paper, I would consider the Wall Street Journal, New York Times, or Economist for a more national or international perspective.

If you expect good news coverage, expect to pay for it.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have to admit my consumption of international and more nich periodicals has dwindled since I quit flying. Like all good captains I didn't want to pay for good news sources. I picked them up along the way for free from hotels, gate areas and the first class cabin. Sorry to say I haven't read a complete Economist, IBD or Financial Times in 2+ years. I'm just catching occasional articles online. ?