• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Consequences for Veterans and/or retirees in the 2021 DC Riots

Pags

N/A
pilot
The author of that article is the “I” here, and no I don’t think a Republican would write an article proposing that President Biden would be able to appoint, without any oversight, a “Reality Czar”.

“I’ve spent the past several years reporting on our national reality crisis, and I worry that unless the Biden administration treats conspiracy theories and disinformation as the urgent threats they are, our parallel universes will only drift further apart, and the potential for violent unrest and civic dysfunction will only grow.”

Having read that quote again, I’m actually sure you’re right, and the author and everyone he interviewed is a card-carrying Trump-votin’ Republican! In fact, come to think of it, I bet it IS a Republican ploy after all and they’re just using your theory of “hands across the aisle” and reaching out to Big Media and giving the Government-appointed Censorship Czar the power they want so they can get more favorable press coverage! Brilliant!
So the author says disinformation is bad. And you can tell he's a Dem how? Maybe he's a dedicated and ethical journalist who's reporting on his assigned beat. He can't be concerned about disinformation and be a republican at the same time?

How about the quote where he writes:
"Several experts I spoke with recommended that the Biden administration put together a cross-agency task force to tackle disinformation and domestic extremism, which would be led by something like a “reality czar." It sounds a little dystopian, I’ll grant. But let’s hear them out."

i don't see anywhere where the author recommends a reality Czar, he merely reports on it with opinions from experts in the field of disinformation.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
What does that have to do with your original question? And how much of that credentialing is handled by the government and how much is self inflicted journalism cool kids club? The white House could turn the press room into a billiards hall and never talk to the press again. But most don't because they realize the importance of marketing and having their story told.

Just because journalists have an ethos it doesn't mean anything about how the business side of a newspaper is run.
Instead of me trying to convince you that a credentialed news reporter (e.g. one that has a permanent ID pass to be in the press pool at the WH, Capitol, or Pentagon) is in a fundamentally different profession and business than a Marvel comic TV series, a Hardee’s franchise owner, a high powered Beltway law firm, the gym dude selling fat burning pills on youtube, or the company I just hired to build a backyard shed, why don’t you try to convince us that it’s not.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Instead of me trying to convince you that a credentialed news reporter (e.g. one that has a permanent ID pass to be in the press pool at the WH, Capitol, or Pentagon) is in a fundamentally different profession and business than a Marvel comic TV series, a Hardee’s franchise owner, a high powered Beltway law firm, the gym dude selling fat burning pills on youtube, or the company I just hired to build a backyard shed, why don’t you try to convince me that it’s not.
Because that's not how it works. YOU present YOUR argument and then YOU present YOUR supporting facts and analysis to back it up.

You guys keep coming back to "journalism has ethics" but journalists still work for media companies. And journalists and media companies, while similar things, aren't the same thing. And I was making a point about MEDIA BUSINESSES and not the journalists who work for them. A corollary: Doctors take a hippocratic oath, but the Hospital Board and CEO don't.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Because that's not how it works. YOU present YOUR argument and then YOU present YOUR supporting facts and analysis to back it up.

You guys keep coming back to "journalism has ethics" but journalists still work for media companies. And journalists and media companies, while similar things, aren't the same thing. And I was making a point about MEDIA BUSINESSES and not the journalists who work for them. A corollary: Doctors take a hippocratic oath, but the Hospital Board and CEO don't.
I’m pretty sure you’re the outlier, and you made the first claim.

But I think I understand your argument now. You’re saying that no matter how good a journalist is at sourcing and reporting the facts to the American people, the Washington Post, New York Times, CNN, and local TV stations across the country are so fundamentally twisted and warped by their desire to make a profit that the editors and directors of those media organizations will dramatically edit and twist the reporting content (and facts) so that their media business makes more money. Did I capture that correctly?

Pags

N/A
pilot
I’m pretty sure you’re the outlier, and you made the first claim.

But I think I understand your argument now. You’re saying that no matter how good a journalist is at sourcing and reporting the facts to the American people, the Washington Post, New York Times, CNN, and local TV stations across the country are so fundamentally twisted and warped by their desire to make a profit that the editors and directors of those media organizations will dramatically edit and twist the reporting content (and facts) so that their media business makes more money. Did I capture that correctly?
How does being an outlier change how we debate?

You're taking my thought to an extreme. But they don't have to twist facts, they can just not run a story. Or keep a story going because it sells. What bleeds leads. Or keep boring things in the later pages. Or present a story in a way that makes their audience more likely to read it. You know, business things to ensure that their content is being consumed. And those businesses have their bottom line in mind well before the public welfare. Or perhaps they're only concerned about public welfare as far as long as it sells papers.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
How does being an outlier change how we debate?

You're taking my thought to an extreme. But they don't have to twist facts, they can just not run a story. Or keep a story going because it sells. What bleeds leads. Or keep boring things in the later pages. Or present a story in a way that makes their audience more likely to read it. You know, business things to ensure that their content is being consumed. And those businesses have their bottom line in mind well before the public welfare. Or perhaps they're only concerned about public welfare as far as long as it sells papers.
It sounds like you are noting a problem with the media. What’s your solution?

SlickAg

pilot
The democratic and republican parties encompass a wide variety of people with a broad spectrum of opinions. We should not conflate the views of individual politicians with the official party platforms.

Anytime you're using the phrase "the Democrats / Republicans want to..." based on a quote from an individual, you're falling into a faulty generalization fallacy.
Nope. This site’s members (heck not just members but MODERATORS) have taught me that high-ranking elected officials are the de facto head of their respective parties. That’s why all Republicans are MAGA redhat Trump cultists and insurrectionists.

SlickAg

pilot
Look at this Republican newspaper printing this article written by a Republican. It’s yet another example of the NYT’s efforts to print stories by the GOP, about the GOP, in order to get more favorable coverage by the media.

I mean, she doesn’t come out and SAY she’s a Republican, but I can tell she is one: “I had wanted my children to be afraid of this virus so that they’d be protected. So that our family and the community and the world would be, too. But I am also preternaturally anxious, someone who relies on therapy and medication to breathe evenly. My children have seen me distraught over seven-day averages and incautious loved ones and an immoral president who helped accelerate the spread.”

Pags

N/A
pilot
It sounds like you are noting a problem with the media. What’s your solution?
I'm acknowledging the reality of how the business works vice pointing out a problem. Therefore I have no need for a solution. I'm not exactly thrilled with it but I acknowledge it for what it is and as a citizen I do my best to understand how that business model affects how I am presented, receive, and digest news. Or I control what I can and make my peace with what I can't.

taxi1

pilot
I believe reporter's motives are stew of idealism, ideology, personal promotion, fear, greed, altruism, and all of the other things that motivate the rest of us members of the crooked timber of humanity.

How many military officers are in the military just for the privilege of serving? Without regard for the details of pay?

The Founding Fathers knew all this when they placed the various elements of the government in tension with each other. Their blind spot was political parties, though.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
All part of the carefully crafted narrative . . .

Have you ever been part of or seen reporting on an incident where early reporting was only partially accurate at best? Like pretty much every mishap or attack, ever?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Refresh my memory, did you not take out your jump to conclusions mat

You mean the fact a police officer was injured during the riot/insurrection and subsequently collapsed, was taken to the hopital then died the next day? But sure, why don't you quibble over whether or not a fire extingusher killed him.

with the rest of the never-Trumpers here?

Your go to is 'never-Trumper'? Because I am angered by what happened on 6 January? Really? Pathetic. How about I am a patriot who doesn't like the fact a bunch of losers, morons, idiots and cowards violently stormed the Capitol with the express purpose of overthrowing the election and causing harm to those that oppose them.