• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Consequences for Veterans and/or retirees in the 2021 DC Riots

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
I'm curious about the consequences that any retirees would/should face if they participated in the DC Riots at the Capital. Just saw on the news that the chap climbing over seats in the Senate chambers with zip cuffs is a retired Air Force Lieutenant Colonel. So, what's going to happen to his benefits? Personally I think the consequences for participating in this event should be swift and severe. Thoughts?

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Going for the zero defect retiree now? Where do you draw the line? Why aren’t the regular criminal consequences enough for you? Does this negate the 20+ years of honorable service that he completed?

my opinion is one is not linked to the other. He’s going to face consequences in criminal court proceedings. That’s enough in my mind.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
A military retiree is subject to be obligatorily returned to active duty for reasons deemed appropriate by the military. The U.S. Supreme Court has upheld the Defense Department's authority to prosecute retired service members for crimes they commit, even after retirement.

BT

I am really loving the crowdsourcing on identifying the rioters. Pure schadenfreude.

One of the rioters identified is an attorney who was fired from his job after being identified. I'm pretty sure his actions will also impact his law license as anyone who believes a lawyer has violated the State Bar's rules can file a grievance with the Office of Chief Disciplinary Counsel, the results of which can range from a temporary suspension of law license or disbarment.

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
Zero defect? I don't think expecting a retiree collecting a government pension and benefits to refrain from participating in activities that could be construed as overtaking the nation's capital building and interfering with governance is a particularly high standard to meet nor an unreasonable expectation. Pretty sure we all promised we wouldn't do that a few time in our careers.

EDIT: grammar

Last edited:

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
They broke the law, they should be prosecuted, just the same as other people caught breaking and entering, destroying public property, etc.

As far as retiree benefits, the precedent of witholding retiree benefits after criminal disloyalty to the United States could be applied here, though I wouldn't venture to say if that will happen. I even think a case for domestic terrorism can- and should- be made, but I have yet to see that charge be suggested publicly. Things are so bizarre these days, it's hard to know what standards will be upheld, which will be ignored, and which will be made up on the spot.

But I'm no expert, and if I were, the average American would know better anyway. :rolleyes:

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Going for the zero defect retiree now? Where do you draw the line? Why aren’t the regular criminal consequences enough for you? Does this negate the 20+ years of honorable service that he completed?

my opinion is one is not linked to the other. He’s going to face consequences in criminal court proceedings. That’s enough in my mind.

Come on, man. Zero defect? It's not like they got stopped for a DUI or cheated on their taxes.

Yes, the way you conduct yourself after leaving military service can have consequences.

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
I do not think that any of these protesters are going to enjoy threir pending interactions with the DOJ and the Federal Courts.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
Just like @sevenhelmet said, they did something wrong they should pay the price, the same way everyone who rioted earlier in the year should pay the price for their crimes.

He participated in an armed and violent attempt to overthrow the federal government, and is a traitor. I can think of few other crimes that are as serious for any citizen, let alone a military officer who recited the oath.
I suppose that depends on how they defined, "support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against all enemies, foreign and domestic".

Pags

N/A
pilot
Just like @sevenhelmet said, they did something wrong they should pay the price, the same way everyone who rioted earlier in the year should pay the price for their crimes.

I suppose that depends on how they defined, "support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against all enemies, foreign and domestic".
Not up to the individual to determine who the enemy is. While some may feel that rival political parties are their enemy that's not the same as a legally recognized enemy of the state.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The entire point of that phrase in the oath is to defend against insurrection, not to commit it. If a retired O-5 is committing sedition, they should be recalled, sent to a general court-martial, and dismissed.