• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Consequences for Veterans and/or retirees in the 2021 DC Riots

Mos

None
Interesting day in the senate. I didn't expect the Dems to ever turn enough votes, but would've like to have seen a deposition of Beutler or other relevant witnesses (for both sides) play out. Guess we'll be left to wonder. Hopefully the country can just move on now.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Interesting day in the senate. I didn't expect the Dems to ever turn enough votes, but would've like to have seen a deposition of Beutler or other relevant witnesses (for both sides) play out. Guess we'll be left to wonder. Hopefully the country can just move on now.

As much as I wish the country would, not likely.

jmcquate

Contributor
As much as I wish the country would, not likely.
Well, my city, your Capital, is still scarred by temporary fencing and constantine wire. Office buildings and businesses boarded up, and Army checkpoints. Interested to see what happens next week. If these security measures start to get dismantled or not. If not, I'm not so sure how much will there is to "move on".

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Randy, I really don't other than to say his trade policies were not within the normal conservative orthodoxy on free trade. Also, Peter Navarro was a kook who got hired bc he was on FoxNews, and should have never been near the Oval Office.

Also, nuking the TPP treaty was stupid and handed China more leverage

Historically, the US was protectionist as the nation become an industrial power - only since the end of WW2 has the mantra of "free trade" been preached and tariff rates dramatically reduced. Some argue that "free trade" actually was nothing more than a global economic bribe to join the US against the Soviet Union, in other words "free trade" was a security policy, not an economic policy, that has now outlived its reason for existence, especially as China's metric of success is full employment and market share for which their government will subsidize. If you want to take a look at the wikipedia article, here you go: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tariff_in_United_States_history And if you want a historical quote from a Republican, here is Lincoln: "Give us a protective tariff and we will have the greatest nation on earth." Lincoln warned that "the abandonment of the protective policy by the American Government… must produce want and ruin among our people."

Peter Navarro became famous for his book "Death By China". Far more important than Navarro was Robert Lighthizer who handled trade negotiations with South Korea, Japan and the new NAFTA. I am curious to see in what direction President Biden goes with trade policy - he has already hammered Canada far worse than aluminum tariffs by killing the Keystone Pipeline. (sidenote: I thought the aluminum tariffs were in response to dairy tariffs that Canada levied on milk products coming in from the US Midwest.)

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Would just be nice to see the nation collectively calm the F down. The world didn't end under President Trump, and I don't think it will under President Biden. I hope we can get past this thought process of "this is our last chance, if we don't win, it is all over". It's a war drum that extremists from both sides have been beating in the last 5-10 years. It needs to stop.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Would just be nice to see the nation collectively calm the F down. The world didn't end under President Trump, and I don't think it will under President Biden. I hope we can get past this thought process of "this is our last chance, if we don't win, it is all over". It's a war drum that extremists from both sides have been beating in the last 5-10 years. It needs to stop.
This. And take a step back and realize compromise is a thing. You don't gain anything other than an utter enemy when you pass legislation aimed to screw over the other "side" in their minds, whether or not you think those beliefs are valid. Put someone's back to the wall, and they're going to come out swinging.

Sometimes good governance comes from a deal that leaves both sides shaking their head and muttering profanity as they leave the table. But if you dare mention that in some circles these days, it's "tHaT'S BoThSiDeSiSm hOw dArE YoU RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!"

Hair Warrior

Contributor
@MIDNJAC @nittany03

I agree with both of you. But historically in the (past 30 yrs) when both sides can find common ground, it sometimes isn’t in the area of good governance. For example, bailouts for big business and an ecomomy that still doesn’t help grow the middle class. Both sides end up pointing at the outcome (no matter who is in charge) and saying “see? told you so - they just gave it away to special interests.” And the media isn’t helping.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
A quick pause to pay respects to another WW2 Marine that passed last week: former Secretary of State George Shultz. After serving as a Marine Corps artillery officer at Peleliu, he entered government service to become 1 of only 2 people to hold 4 different cabinet positions: Secretary of Labor, Director of OMB, Secretary of the Treasury and finally Secretary of State under Reagan (coincidentally, Shultz passed away at the age of 100 on 6 Feb which is Reagan’s birthday)

Secretary of State George Shultz with President Reagan outside the Oval Office, December 1986

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
@MIDNJAC @nittany03

I agree with both of you. But historically in the (past 30 yrs) when both sides can find common ground, it sometimes isn’t in the area of good governance. For example, bailouts for big business and an ecomomy that still doesn’t help grow the middle class. Both sides end up pointing at the outcome (no matter who is in charge) and saying “see? told you so - they just gave it away to special interests.” And the media isn’t helping.

Sure, I guess I was speaking more towards the American public than politicians. However they obviously go hand in hand to some extent (in a chicken vs egg sense).

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Sure, I guess I was speaking more towards the American public than politicians. However they obviously go hand in hand to some extent (in a chicken vs egg sense).

I think it would help if everyone, or at least more people, were starting with the same basic information. We all used to tune in to the essentially the same news updates at 6 and/or 10. Now most content is online, and the news is so algorithmically tailored that even people living in the same house see different stories on any given day, so it's much harder to get people to agree on even the least-contentious issues.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Okay, putting on my sea-lawyer hat here, bear with me:

Would a lawyer defending a veteran, especially one who was enlisted, be able to put the Federal prosecutors in a catch-22 by claiming they were following what they believed to be a lawful order from a sitting President in defense of the constitution?

Would that put a judge, especially one who was a Clinton/Obama appointee, in the position of acknowledging personal liability for the actions of the rioters on the 6th, if they disagree with that argument? If you find the rioter was acting under their own volition, and not under the orders of a sitting President, does that not then absolve said President of culpability and set a precedent for any future liability defense for said president?

Woukd be an interesting argument to see from a creative lawyer...most of the people who did nothing more than illegally enter would be risking, at worst, a wrist slap either way...