• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Consequences for Veterans and/or retirees in the 2021 DC Riots

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The same words that you can’t seem to show me?
I think you'll be surprised in reading the trial transcripts as these cases move forward that the standard for incitement doesn't align with the one you're demanding here. One needn't explicitly tell a hit man to murder someone to be found guilty of that crime.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I forgot to add that your take reminded me that Trump is getting a pension and that might be the way to pull him back in...interesting.
You don’t need to go looking for “hooks,” because this has already been done before in 1876. The Senate has already determined that it holds impeachment jurisdiction over former government officials, and can bar them from holding future office, and this has been the case for 145 years.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think the burden of proof in this case is such that there is a singificant chance Trump will be acquitted. In which case, all this impeachment will have done is create a distracting public spectacle and emboldened a potential Trump 2024 campaign.
We still don’t know what the SDNY and State of New York are going to do about alleged tax fraud at the Trump Organization.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
We still don’t know what the SDNY and State of New York are going to do about alleged tax fraud at the Trump Organization.

Nope, we sure don't. That's completely separate from the impeachment, though, isn't it?

I could be wrong, we live in the upside down...

taxi1

pilot
Nice article...it baffles me how some of you are struggling with the concept of responsibility and accountability.

Ezra Cohen, another of Miller’s top confidants, believes that his colleagues’ words and deeds may be well and good, but are beside the point: “The president threw us under the bus. And when I say ‘us,’ I don’t mean only us political appointees or only us Republicans. He threw America under the bus. He caused a lot of damage to the fabric of this country. Did he go and storm the Capitol himself? No. But he, I believe, had an opportunity to tamp things down and he chose not to. And that’s really the fatal flaw. I mean, he’s in charge. And when you’re in charge, you’re responsible for what goes wrong.”

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nope, we sure don't. That's completely separate from the impeachment, though, isn't it?

I could be wrong, we live in the upside down...
It is, but if there’s a conviction before 2024, it’d make it difficult to run for office.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
You don’t need to go looking for “hooks,” because this has already been done before in 1876. The Senate has already determined that it holds impeachment jurisdiction over former government officials, and can bar them from holding future office, and this has been the case for 145 years.
Negative. It was determined Belknap could be tried because he “resigned ahead of charges.” All Senators agreed that Belknap had done something illegal, but 23 who voted for acquittal believed that the Senate did not have jurisdiction - a de facto dismissal of any precedent.

That said, I am not saying it is not possible, but it will have to be justified to the public.

Last edited:

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
It is, but if there’s a conviction before 2024, it’d make it difficult to run for office.

How about 2022? If the Republicans win the House in 2 years, the Republican congressman could elect Trump as Speaker of the House. (Per Article I, Section II of the Constitution, you do not have to be a Congressman to be Speaker although that is the tradition.). Probable no, technically legal yes. I imagine Trump as Speaker would be interesting.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dershowitz thinks impeaching Trump after the end of his term is unconstitutional. (Sorry, could not get past the WSJ paywall for the primary source.) Clearly it is debatable. I'd love to hear the constitutional support for this impeachment beyond that offered by random partisan politicians, cable news guests, and internet forum posts.

There is still a chance this kabuki theater will have a plot twist, and Biden pardons Trump after the spectacle and before the vote, or maybe after for maximum drama.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
How about 2022? If the Republicans win the House in 2 years, the Republican congressman could elect Trump as Speaker of the House. (Per Article I, Section II of the Constitution, you do not have to be a Congressman to be Speaker although that is the tradition.). Probable no, technically legal yes. I imagine Trump as Speaker would be interesting.

Ouch...I couldin’t imagine a bigger “fuck you” to America!

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

The punishment for conviction does not only include the option for removal from office but also the disqualification of holding a federal job ever again, to include elected office:

Article I, Section 3, Clause 7:

Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The punishment for conviction does not only include the option for removal from office but also the disqualification of holding a federal job ever again, to include elected office:

Article I, Section 3, Clause 7:
Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States
I think we’re confusing two things. My point was that the Trump Organization is under investigation for alleged tax fraud, and so his criminal exposure in that regard is still unclear. Impeachment aside, there’s a chance that the SDNY tax case blows up or the NYS AG finds something to go after him for.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think we’re confusing two things. My point was that the Trump Organization is under investigation for alleged tax fraud, and so his criminal exposure in that regard is still unclear. Impeachment aside, there’s a chance that the SDNY tax case blows up or the NYS AG finds something to go after him for.

Ah, gotcha.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
You mean those investigations looking for a crime? The investigations started without any evidence of criminal actions except "he's Trump, he must have committed a crime"? Those investigations started for solely political reasons by Trump haters?

What happens if NY convicts him but FL refuses to extradite him?