• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Congrats to LT. Swegle (aka Charles Edward never-ending question thread)

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
The timing of your O-4 board will probably mean you don’t have to do a second sea tour as a JO. Helo and Maritime dudes would gladly trade places with you there.

This is actually already more common than you would think. But it would be interesting if this actually becomes the norm than the onesy-twosies

MGoBrew11

pilot
This is actually already more common than you would think. But it would be interesting if this actually becomes the norm than the onesy-twosies
Yeah, definitely one of the bonuses for longer time to train for jet peeps.

At the time I thought it was cool to wing as an ENS and make HAC as a LTJG. Now I’m staring down a long boat tour.

IwannabeaPHROGdvr69

pilot
You’re on Uncle Sam’s dime, partner. It’s not really your time anymore.

I know this might be difficult to comprehend, but the people getting paid the big bucks to make the decisions don’t typically go around asking for SNA input. There’s a LOT of factors at play here that are WAY above your paygrade.

I’m basing this off your earlier response to me and some others on here, but if I could offer you one piece of advice it would be this: don’t show up to advanced and be the guy with all the answers. No one is going to be impressed, and you’ll just single yourself out. If you haven’t figured it out yet, the only person here who feels sorry for you is...you.
Well whatever the “big bucks” guys are doing sure isnt working

you also sure you aren’t the token genius O-4 airline reservist who rolls in every 20 days but has all the navy’s problems figured out?

Last edited:

SlickAg

pilot
There is more than one person out there who waited a year between winging and flying the rhino for the first time.
Sounds like a 122 problem.

Or, if you’re referring to the “Newly Winged Aviator” glory days of 2014-2015, that was when the RAG mafia told the VTJs to slow down production because they couldn’t keep up and it was making them look bad.

This problem has ebbed and flowed for a while. Things were getting cranking again following the NOBOGS debacle, and then noblades happened, and now they’re making big syllabus changes, and in a few years the RAGs will come back and say CNATRA cut too much and the quality of the product they’re getting isn’t good enough so they need more flights in the VTs to prepare them.

Well whatever the “big bucks” guys are doing sure isnt working
False. Sustained, superior performance.

On a less light-hearted note, this is what happens when you lose months of production due to maintenance issues. See also: T-2 grounding in the late 90s. Isn’t the first time, won’t be the last time.

Duc'-guy25

pilot
/rant
Some of this has been addressed but for emphasis here it is again.

Why is this news?

Is this a serious question? We have had black men serving as tactical carrier based aviators since 1946. Women have been flying jets for the Navy since 1974, and carrier based combat roles since 1994. You don't find it shocking that this is the first black woman to fly jets off carriers based on US demographics? Statiscally she shouldn't be the first. Someone else should have pursued it and been successful by now.

Are the black and female pilots in the community well integrated with the other pilots? I certainly hope that they are just as qualified as the others.

Again, are you serious? "I certainly hope they are just as qualified as the others." You really think Navy/Marine TACAIR in 2020 is going to compromise on who can fly tactical jets and who can't for publicity? They didn't even know she was going to a first until a few days before she was done with the syllabus. Do you think females or minorities in our community are only passed because of demographics? A. No, that's absolute bullshit. Most of the women I've met while flying jets have been absolute savages at flying/fighting, and if they aren't they are told they suck just like anyone else in a debrief. B. Stop taking away from their accomplishments. They met or surpassed a standard, and that standard is uncompromising.

Yeah...so, what happens if she turns out to be a lousy fleet pilot? I most certainly do not wish that on her or anyone else, but it is possible, correct? Would that not then be a public relations disaster for the navy?

Stop. Stop right there. Guess what? People turn out to be lousy fleet pilots no matter their gender, race, orientation, or any other definition. Also guess what? There's great fleet pilots out there and their gender, race, orientation or any other definition doesn't contribute to that. You know who are some of the lousiest fleet pilots I know? White dudes.

There is also a woman now who has become the first Special Forces soldier in the Army. I wonder how the male candidates who dropped out must feel that a female was able to complete the training.

So, can we expect the first female SEAL soon?

Are you implying that the dudes that sucked are butthurt because a woman was better than them? That makes them a sexist asshole that didn't meet the standard.

Haha, nailed it. The other side of that coin is that she's a perfectly capable fleet pilot who's normal progression is lauded while her non-minority brethren fight the same fight, which could also negatively single her out amongst her peers.

Our business is not one of public spectacle. The public during WWII championed fighter pilots and kept count along with them as they tore through the skies with bullets flying and metal tearing around them. Much different public back then. Different kind of pilots too.

Dude, don't encourage this. If this isn't a question you're asking about any of the kids you're winging out of the training command, then it isn't something you should be wondering about her. She will most likely go on to have a normal career like the rest of us. I highly doubt this will have any implications (which it shouldn't if TACAIR is the meritocracy everyone claims it to be) positive or negative on her career.

@Charles Edward I seriously cannot tell if you're a troll. Graduate student? Reservist? These are the questions you're asking? If you want to be an officer you need to ask yourself, "Can I ask these questions in front of/to all of my Sailors?" If the answer is no, then its probably not a question you should be asking, or issue you should be commenting on.

Swegle, if you're on this board I hope you go on to have a good career and trust that your accomplishments aren't due to anything other than you're own commitment, intelligence, and hard work. Ignore the doubters, celebrate this with your community, you will be an inspiration to the next generation of the Naval Aviation Enterprise.

/endrant

FinkUFreaky

pilot
Yah, this topic got off track as they all seem to here (not always a bad thing). But Congrats to LTJG Swegle, hopes for the best! I also don't think it's necessarily good for all the media attention as I wouldn't have wanted it on myself in any way, shape, or form while going through flight school, or even being someone that now people are going to track the progress of.

But I definitely see the good in a good story that might encourage some that have never thought of it as a possibility

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Yeah sheesh....def the most talked about SNA in the last 30 days, if not many years. I'd guess her status was as much of a shock to her as it was to the rest of us. Let her enjoy the FRS, make her mistakes like any cat 1 would do, and have a great career. That isn't to say that the publicity isn't possibly exciting some girls around the country who are years or a decade away from doing this. Hopefully that is the case. In spite of the apparent track record, we are an equal opportunity employer. The missing link is people from diverse backgrounds with the desire (and means of course) to make it happen. I think most of my friends who are any sort of minority have generally agreed that this career wasn't even on their radar without a very specific person guiding the way.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
First black female TACAIR pilot. Not the first Black Female in TACAIR. Christine Taylor cruised with VF-213 and CVW-11 in 1995.

JWL

I’m on team equity and love this for many factors (which, as I think about it, are mostly based on my [our] assumptions about her experiences based on her gender and declared race and how that could be a positive for the over-represented women of color in our enlisted ranks—she could be just as polo/pink short/boat shoe as the rest of Annapolis).

However, knowing my navy, I fear there’s a fair amount of showponyism here. Not fair to that aviator. Didn’t go well for that USAF Viper pilot when she didn’t turn out to actually be Miss Marvel. I hope she succeeds because we need officers and pilots at a time when a lot don’t want to join and even fewer want to stay.
Why was she removed?

She looks pretty hot.

https://airshowstuff.com/v4/tag/capt-zoe-kotnik/