• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Congrats to LT. Swegle (aka Charles Edward never-ending question thread)

SlickAg

pilot
You're being paid right? How many weeks (or years) of paid vacation have you had? I get the want to finish, start the eight-year timer, etc... But it could be a lot worse. Everyone else in your shoes is in the same boat unless it's a medical hold.
I mean it could be worse...you could be waiting around for months for NFO training...amirite??

Everyone lighten up it’s just a joke.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
And I was trying to make the point that it is currently taking the Navy 3 times as long to do that same training.

The syllabus is not the reason flight school takes so long right now. It is absurd how long the Navy is having SNAs wait around doing nothing.
I'd be interested to know why you think it's absurd and how the situation could be resolved.

FinkUFreaky

pilot
I'd be interested to know why you think it's absurd and how the situation could be resolved.
He might have the answer to OBOGS, and compressor blades throwing themselves. And the weather. And maintenance contracts, PERS mistakes leading to A-pool holdups, terrorist shootings at API slowing things down and everything else that can cause problems in time to train.

@RandomGoat1248 I know I'm giving you a lot of shit. It's not really aimed directly at you. Just at students in general that think they have it all figured out (hey I've been there, done that). Trust me, the Navy doesn't have it out to keep you a couple extra years as an SNA. If anything they are losing big-time in this deal, and plenty of SNAs are getting paid to party. Or learn a new language. Or whatever it is you like to do for fun.

RandomGoat1248

You're being paid right? How many weeks (or years) of paid vacation have you had? I get the want to finish, start the eight-year timer, etc... But it could be a lot worse. Everyone else in your shoes is in the same boat unless it's a medical hold.

Edit: If it's that big of a drag on your life, DOR is a thing. I loved the months off waiting to class up.

Going on 15 months total of waiting around so far, currently on month 3 of a projected 7 month wait before I class up for advanced. I know I am complaining but it wouldn’t be as annoying if the commitment was counting and it was not just wasted time sitting around.

I’m not going to DOR because as cheesy as it is, I love flying and actually love flight school when I am actually in training. It is incredibly frustrating though to sit around and just having my time wasted.

RandomGoat1248

He might have the answer to OBOGS, and compressor blades throwing themselves. And the weather. And maintenance contracts, PERS mistakes leading to A-pool holdups, terrorist shootings at API slowing things down and everything else that can cause problems in time to train.

@RandomGoat1248 I know I'm giving you a lot of shit. It's not really aimed directly at you. Just at students in general that think they have it all figured out (hey I've been there, done that). Trust me, the Navy doesn't have it out to keep you a couple extra years as an SNA. If anything they are losing big-time in this deal, and plenty of SNAs are getting paid to party. Or learn a new language. Or whatever it is you like to do for fun.

I don’t mind, I have a thick skin. I know I am complaining about it, but I don’t think a lot of posters here, or a lot of a lot of IPs realize how bad the delays in flight school has gotten or how frustrating it is for students.

I would also argue that the Navy isn’t losing on this, the Navy has us for 8 years after we wing regardless how long training takes. Yes they are paying us to sit around now, but they have us for the years they care about regardless so there is no incentive to fix the delays.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don’t mind, I have a thick skin. I know I am complaining about it, but I don’t think a lot of posters here, or a lot of a lot of IPs realize how bad the delays in flight school has gotten or how frustrating it is for students.

I would also argue that the Navy isn’t losing on this, the Navy has us for 8 years after we wing regardless how long training takes. Yes they are paying us to sit around now, but they have us for the years they care about regardless so there is no incentive to fix the delays.
If you only knew. Get comfortable with the idea that most of your insights about this issue are wrong.

SlickAg

pilot
Going on 15 months total of waiting around so far, currently on month 3 of a projected 7 month wait before I class up for advanced. I know I am complaining but it wouldn’t be as annoying if the commitment was counting and it was not just wasted time sitting around.

I’m not going to DOR because as cheesy as it is, I love flying and actually love flight school when I am actually in training. It is incredibly frustrating though to sit around and just having my time wasted.
You’re on Uncle Sam’s dime, partner. It’s not really your time anymore.

I know this might be difficult to comprehend, but the people getting paid the big bucks to make the decisions don’t typically go around asking for SNA input. There’s a LOT of factors at play here that are WAY above your paygrade.

I’m basing this off your earlier response to me and some others on here, but if I could offer you one piece of advice it would be this: don’t show up to advanced and be the guy with all the answers. No one is going to be impressed, and you’ll just single yourself out. If you haven’t figured it out yet, the only person here who feels sorry for you is...you.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The length of syllables isn’t the reason it takes us so long to wing and get to the fleet.
Thank goodness. I'd hate to see what kind of prestidigitation and legerdemain CNATRA would have to use if that were the problem. :D

FinkUFreaky

pilot

Appreciate you being a good sport. But yes, the Navy is hurting on this. A lot of aviators have been leaving recently due to the airline hiring; obviously things are in a turn now, thanks to COVID, and this might help the fleet in the short term at least. The economy always has an impact on retention.

But fleet squadrons need replacement pilots. Badly. Especially in jetland. If there was an easy way to speed things up, it would have happened. They need 4 things basically: up aircraft, good weather, a student ready to go and a qualified IP to get an X. Add an available carrier for CQ where you're at, and if one that was supposed to be available has an issue, or is extended on deployment, etc. expect more FCLPs for the SNAs as more of a priority for the squadron.

I'm not in VTJ, just in a different VT as an IP for the past four years. And every single day, it is one of those four things that sets a cap on the next day's flight schedule. It's the same across the TWs. And any of those going out of whack can impact student time to train. So sure, let's just get more IP's right? Where are you going to get them from without impacting the fleet? They have even been taking non-tailhook guys to IP there in order to help out with that. Aircraft availability is a far different issue and has impacted the T-45 a lot over the past few years. COVID tracking has put entire ground school classes in ROM for 14 days. I got to the fleet two months before putting on LT, with 8 months waiting for API, a 3 month stash in Las Cruces, and various delays between training stations (every PCS; NASP to Whiting to meridian to Corpus to Norfolk). I found a way to enjoy every single paid delay. I guess my only advice would be to enjoy your time off. If flying is where you get your kicks then do some on the side.

Last edited:

MGoBrew11

pilot

Getting delayed pre-wings isn’t such a bad thing. The timing of your O-4 board will probably mean you don’t have to do a second sea tour as a JO. Helo and Maritime dudes would gladly trade places with you there.

Just enjoy getting paid to do nothing while you can.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
But fleet squadrons need replacement pilots. Badly.

The interesting "fix" over the last few years, post T-45 shutdown, has been filling what would have been nugget jobs with the Super JO. Hot fills for any current FRS IP in particular. Not that this is necessarily bad......flying grey jets in a squadron is mo betta than being on some CAG staff or whatever else. And for the squadron, it is a bonus to have experienced guys coming back that can help out by instructing SFWT events. The downside is that when you combine this with the VFA DH shortage, you have a lot of LT's not getting the bonus yet filling DH jobs which is I suppose either a pain or an opportunity depending on your outlook.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
People aren’t even getting done with intermediate until 3 years in. The length of syllables isn’t the reason it takes us so long to wing and get to the fleet.

Wow....that is interesting data. I honestly had no idea this was a thing. This will be an interesting group of aviators when it comes to their O-4 boards. Long time to be a NOB. If guys are hitting the fleet as 5+ yr officers, that puts them in their first look well before any kind of competitive shore FITREP timing (though obviously first tour high water is the real predictor there). And it also puts them at FOSx2 before their wings+8 is over I believe. Gonna get weird I'd imagine.