• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Concealed Carry Permit

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Wow, sorry I missed all this. I was away from my computer for the weekend (My nephew was born so I pretty much forgot about this thread). Anyway, I just wanted a CCW so that I could drive around with the thing (and in case I forgot it from the range) and not worry about getting any flack about it in different states (mostyl AL and MS). I appreciate all the help on this.

It was pretty funny to hear people argue about my 1st amendment rights online.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
alabama_matt said:

It's only because we love YOU man, really!!!

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
alabama_matt said:
Wow, sorry I missed all this. I was away from my computer for the weekend (My nephew was born so I pretty much forgot about this thread). Anyway, I just wanted a CCW so that I could drive around with the thing (and in case I forgot it from the range) and not worry about getting any flack about it in different states (mostyl AL and MS). I appreciate all the help on this.

You don't need a CCW to drive back and forth from the range... or to legally transport them state to state... unless you want to carry them on your person.

Fre@kshow!!

Yes, I really was in the circus.
None
Fly Navy said:
You don't need a CCW to drive back and forth from the range... or to legally transport them state to state... unless you want to carry them on your person.

That's funny, I thought I covered that in my first post. Whaddya know?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fre@kshow!! said:
That's funny, I thought I covered that in my first post. Whaddya know?

And I quote:

You don't need one to carry in your car

Let's investigate what this could mean:

A) "You don't need a CCL to carry a firearm, on your person, in the car." Since "carry" usually means concealed carry, this is not true in most states. So, a license may be required, depending where you are.

B) "You don't need a CCL to drive with a firearm in your car". This is what you said you meant. This is correct.

C) "You don't need to carry a gun in your car." I read it as this initially, erroneously. My bad. That's what I took issue with, because that's a load of shit, as we've discussed.

Don't be sore because some of us jumped on your arguments. It's AW... welcome to the club ;)

Fre@kshow!!

Yes, I really was in the circus.
None
Fly Navy said:
And I quote:

Let's investigate what this could mean:

A) "You don't need a CCL to carry a firearm, on your person, in the car." Since "carry" usually means concealed carry, this is not true in most states. So, a license may be required, depending where you are.

B) "You don't need a CCL to drive with a firearm in your car". This is what you said you meant. This is correct.

C) "You don't need to carry a gun in your car." I read it as this initially, erroneously. My bad. That's what I took issue with, because that's a load of shit, as we've discussed.

Don't be sore because some of us jumped on your arguments. It's AW... welcome to the club ;)

To be continued via PM..... OK, Fly and I are friends again. You can all go back to your lives now!

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fre@kshow!! said:
To be continued via PM.

PM received.

To all concerned, my previous post is in no way meant to be scathing. It was to show how I wrongly misinterpreted a statement (my fault) and how else it could be interpreted.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Fre@kshow!! said:
CCW Forbidden Places
790.06 (12) License to Carry Concealed Weapon or Firearm
Any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05

any polling place;
any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof;
any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms;
any school administration building;
any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose;
any area vocational-technical center;
any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile;

In addition, Section 790.11 prohibits firearms in National Forests except during hunting season. This does not apply to a firearm securely stored within a vehicle on a state road.

62-D-2.014 of the State Administrative Code: Allows State Parks to restrict the carrying of firearms in all Florida State Parks. Even those with a Valid License to Carry in Florida can not carry in Florida State Parks.

Florida Statute 823.05 defines a place of nuisance as a "place which tends to annoy the community or injure the health of the community...or any house or place of prostitution, assignation, lewdness or place or building where games of chance are engaged in violation of law or any place where any law of the state is violated."

Insightful thread. I've considered getting a CCW for quite some time. After reading this, i'm not sure it would do much good! Isn't the purpose of the CCW to recognize that you have the knowledge and skills necessary to responsibly exercise the use of a firearm?

I deleted all the limitations above that made good sense. There are a few that don't. The bar and "place of nuissance" are the big ones. Of all the places, I would think that these two call for a method of self defense the most. A law preventing someone from drinking and packing at the same time would make more sense to me.

All in all, i'm probably the least knowledgable person in regards to firearms posting on this thread, but I thought i'd kick in my worthless .02 anyways.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Lawman said:
Seriously, go to the training thats provided by certified firearms instructors. Ask around a little till you find a good trainer. Its not the handling and safety portion of the class you need to worry about, its the legal understanding of when and how you can employ your weapon as well as where you can take it, ect.

Ignorance of the law will not work as a defense the day your in court for doing something that sounded right. And there are to many people trying to use your mistake as a rallying cry for the anti-gun movement that you cant afford to slip up.

Yeah I agree - the training is important. Not so much in how to handle a weapon but the instructor will go over very very thoroughly what the CCW law entitles you to, how to carry, when you could ever even draw your weapon, etc. I was really surprised how much sh!t you can get yourself into if you violate even a small technicality.

Definetly go.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ChuckMK23 said:
Yeah I agree - the training is important. Not so much in how to handle a weapon but the instructor will go over very very thoroughly what the CCW law entitles you to, how to carry, when you could ever even draw your weapon, etc. I was really surprised how much sh!t you can get yourself into if you violate even a small technicality.

Definetly go.

Yup, but also make sure you do your own research too. If you're in a state such as Massachusetts, the firearms laws are so convoluted, that the police officers are just as confused about the laws as Joe Citizen. It's a mess. Get familiar with the laws, intimately so. If you live in a convoluted state, like MA, get legal advice if you need it.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
The the Right gets a "shall issue" CCW law, and then the guys on the Left dumb it down with so much BS on where you can carry and can't that it isn't even worth it.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ChuckMK23 said:
The the Right gets a "shall issue" CCW law, and then the guys on the Left dumb it down with so much BS on where you can carry and can't that it isn't even worth it.

Oh it's worse than that in MA. MA is a "may issue" state. Not only is it "may issue", but it's down to the local level. Some towns will flat out reject any and all applications for License to Carry. For those not in the know, there are 4 licenses in MA:

Firearms ID Class D - Purchase, own, and carry pepper spray.
Firearms ID Class C - Low capacity rifles and shotguns.
License to Carry Class B - High capacity rifles and shotguns, low capacity handguns
License to Carry Class A- High capacity rifles, shotguns, and handguns. Concealed carry, if not restricted.

As you can see, an anti-gun police chief can effectively destroy the gun ownership rights of the citizens (subjects?) if their town. The police chief in my home town would flat out deny all Class A applications, even those not seeking concealed carry.

The town of Carver's police chief denied all applications except Class D. They took him to court, found him unconstitutional, and he lost his job. One of the few victories in MA.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
"May issue" CCP laws ... you gotta love the hypocrisy.

Way back when --- after the notorious murder in city municipal offices of a homosexual city supervisor (supervisor=the SFO equivalent of a city council member) by a "conservative" nut-case (I add the adjective "homosexual" as is what got the incident so much publicity -- "conservative" also .... so don't go all PC on me) .... then SFO supervisor Diane Feinstein received one of the three (3) CCP's that were issued to the ENTIRE civilian population of SFO at the time on a "may issue" basis.

I guess she felt she needed the protection offered by carrying her S&W Chief's Special ??? At the time ... she said:

"..... I know the sense of helplessness that people feel. I know the urge to arm yourself because that's what I did. I was trained in firearms. I'd walk to the hospital when my husband was sick. I carried a concealed weapon. I made the determination that if somebody was going to try to take me out, I was going to take them with me."

Since then ... the position of the good lady has evidently matured and taken on a whole new face ... perhaps .... a "second" face???

"Banning guns addresses a fundamental right of all Americans to feel safe."
--U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein Associated Press 11/18/93

"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an out right ban,
picking up every one of them... "Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in,
"I would have done it. I could not do that. The votes weren't here."
--U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA), CBS-TV's "60 Minutes," 2/5/95

.... please note the position of the good lady's "trigger finger". Hope that gun doesn't "just go off" .... you know how they are prone to doing that .... :)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Feinstein is the definition of hypocrisy. She is the definition of the priviledged elite. She can protect herself, but her subjects can not. They do not deserve it.

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
Sort of like good old Hillary...who wanted all Americans disarmed, except, of course, for the Secret Service agents who protect her.