• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Concealed Carry Permit

Ex Rigger

pilot
eddie said:
For the record, I think there has been a major mis-communication here.
I don't....I think he is contributing to a fundamental problem which seems to plague our nation. Why should he have to discuss his need for a CCW anymore than a person should have to discuss their reasons why they want to shop at Kroger's. It's their own business...and none of yours. While his inquisition may have seemed innocent, behind it was the sense that there had to be some underlying reason for him wanting to get the license. He can get it because it's right.....as much as it is his right to speak in public. The question he should be asking is why does owning a firearm seem to be such a taboo for a law-abiding citizen.....why should he feel obligated to explain his reasons....

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fre@kshow!! said:
but as an officer and a gentlemen, I wanted to be sure that he has decided for himself to carry for the right reasons and in the right places. It is all of our business to help each other out as military to make good decisions based on all available information.

True, I won't dispute that. I was clearly saying it's none of yours, mine, or anyone's business why he wants to carry. The military doesn't need to know you have a carry permit or that you carry, none of their business either. I know I'm a young officer with no real Navy experience, but... well... it really is none of their business.

Forgive me if I sound like I've stood at too many Captains Masts, but I've been there numerous times supporting my troops who've just done some of the stupidest things imaginable... so if I choose help educate a brother a little as to his own motives and a little Florida state law... then that's just what the internet is for. So chill out.

That's fine, and we're all chill here.

If you're just a gun nut or like the feeling of power or are scared of getting shot in the mall or feel it's your constitutional rite then by all means, get yourself a CCW. I wasn't arguing that. I just want people to think a little before they go do something just because it's cool. Like carrying a gun.

Give me a break. Gun nut? Feeling of power? I'm sorry, but you may not totally understand why people carry in the first place, if those are your main arguments. Out of all the people I know who carry, none of them do it because they are a gun nut or need power. John Wayne was cool... but it's not about being John Wayne. Maybe for a minority few, but hey, there are always bad examples.

YOU DON'T NEED A CCW TO HAVE A LOADED FIREARM IN YOUR VEHICLE IN THE STATE OF FLORIDA(that was the point I was trying to make there that you missed Fly.)

This I know, I lived in FL for 1.5 years. Wasn't aware you were trying to make that specific point. That law was one that actually was very weird for me, coming from MA. That and being able to buy ammo without a permit.

By most local laws, you may also not CCW in a populated place like a mall, bar, concert, park, etc...(common sense my ass)

Mall? Since when. Not in FL. Parks, well you run into that in MS. Weird law. Bar, concert... all typical. Would you mix alcohol and guns? Not me. Fact of the matter is you can carry in the majority of places.

So in the very likely case that you happen to be breaking the law at the time your CCW comes in handy, you'll probably end up getting kicked out of the Navy when you're convicted of a weapons charge and get sued by the family of your victim for every penny you have.

I won't get into the flaws of the court system, but better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6. I'm not advocating illegal carry, but if you had to use it in the first place, so the heck what that you were in an "illegal" location, you probably almost died... if you are truly justified.

Fre@kshow!!

Yes, I really was in the circus.
None
Scratch that... I don't give up. Have some of you reall really read what I've said. I'm trying to help out here, not cause problems. Stop with the nobody has to justify anything to anybody lawyer crap BS here on the internet. This is an open forum where we can all speak our minds, or choose not to. I can ask a question the same as someone can choose not to answer it.

Like I've said... whatever your personal motives are, great. I just listed some examples, not necessarily your own. However, it has been my experience that when it comes to guns, most people don't give anything about them
enough thought... especially young males. Guns are fun, loud, look cool,
make big holes in things, what's not to love. And they can change your life in an instant if you don't have a firm grasp of why you own one or choose to CCW. For some reason you all think I'm the bad guy anti-gun activist. Calm down!!! If you feel you need to carry, then go ahead and do it. Great. As long as you've thought it through completely, for yourself. I know it's none of my business why anybody want's to carry. Can't I just ask though? Can't we have a nice discussion? WTF???? "Fundamental problem plaguing our nation" I just asked him why? This isn't some great Fre@kshow!! conspiracy to get you to become vegan and join Greenpeace... shit! I've got four guns in the house and make use of them regularly. No I don't have a CCW, just never appealed to me, but I thought about it and just couldn't find a good enough reason why I needed one.

As for some other things, A4, constitutional right or not, I know you know some people who own guns who you'd rather they didn't. Or maybe you don't, but you know the type I'm talking about. Some people just aren't in their right minds when they pick up a weapon. And for the record, I love the freedom we enjoy in this country, but it really scares me how easy it is for just about anybody to be able to go down and get a CCW in some states. The aforementioned "mind not right" people are the ones I'm afraid of whipping it out in the mall and opening up on the "bad guy" with no training and no discipline. You've seen the movies with the guy who's packing during the bank robbery decides to be a hero and gets himself and four others killed... Yah, that guy scares me. So when it comes to guns I like to talk a little. I like to discuss. I would love to hear what you all have to say about why you personally choose to CCW. Maybe you've thought of a good enough reason to change my mind about it.

And don't give me any more BS about who's business it is why we all don't have to justify anything to each other. This is open forum to anyone who chooses to comment. If you don't want anybody to know why you choose to CCW, then don't comment, but just be sure FOR YOURSELF... that you're not "that guy".

rare21

pilot
Contributor
crap, there are some cops out there that shouldnt be handling guns let alone have a badge.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fre@kshow!! said:
I know you know some people who own guns who you'd rather they didn't.

Of course, who doesn't? I also know people who shouldn't own a car, or have a kid, or whatnot.

but it really scares me how easy it is for just about anybody to be able to go down and get a CCW in some states.

Every state I've applied in or looked at applying in requires a background check, etc etc. Why does that scare you? In VT, there is no requirement to have any kind of license to carry. They don't kill each other left and right...

The aforementioned "mind not right" people are the ones I'm afraid of whipping it out in the mall and opening up on the "bad guy" with no training and no discipline.

CCW laws have been in effect for years in many states. In fact, most states. Got an example of this happening? Your fear is without merit.

You've seen the movies with the guy who's packing during the bank robbery decides to be a hero and gets himself and four others killed... Yah, that guy scares me.

Say it with me... movie. Not real. You know, being a gun owner yourself, that Hollywood has never portrayed firearms and gun owners accurately.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
rare21 said:
crap, there are some cops out there that shouldnt be handling guns let alone have a badge.

Cops can be the most ignorant of gun laws and gun handling you'll ever see.

Lawman

None
Fly Navy said:
Cops can be the most ignorant of gun laws and gun handling you'll ever see.

It really falls into two distinct catagories. You've got your no nothing, this is what they gave me, retoric spewing, poorly training fools *majority*. And then you have your shooters, people that own multiple weapons, people that provide there own sidearm when permitted. People that train religiously with them.

I love training with my weapons. I think the most fun Ive ever had shooting was training to exit a vehicle under fire and return fire on a threat. Another great thing to do is weapon retention (this is a must!).

Lawman

None
Fly Navy said:
Of course, who doesn't? I also know people who shouldn't own a car, or have a kid, or whatnot.

Im all for parental screening. And while were at it, lets throw in manditory driver recertification tests every 8 years, and every 3 after you turn 65. (My dads a Drivers Ed teacher.... the stories hes got...)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lawman said:
Im all for parental screening. And while were at it, lets throw in manditory driver recertification tests every 8 years, and every 3 after you turn 65. (My dads a Drivers Ed teacher.... the stories hes got...)
But Drew, how will all the Asians in SOCAL be able to get to work if they can no longer drive? ;)

Brett

Lawman

None
Brett327 said:
But Drew, how will all the Asians in SOCAL be able to get to work if they can no longer drive? ;)

Brett

What you think people in cities actually give a damn about the drivers license part of driving a car? You wanna guess how many people used to get out of their cars with an open container visible and hand me a non-driver State ID before heading into the club with their Hommie G's? Put it this way, assume everyone driving around you would just as soon leave you for dead if they hit you walking through a cross walk, because they gots warrants and theys aint going to jail again.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Brett327 said:

Brett
Or ... how will they get their guns if they cannot drive to the black market .... ???? :confused: