• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Concealed Carry Permit

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Ok, so I picked up an application for a concealed carry permit today and it said that for proof of valid training that members of the armed forces could send in a copy of a DD214 form. I have no idea what it is not do I know if I have one available. Not sure if it matters, but I qualified Expert in both pistol and rifle.

Figured that with all the gun threads started here that someone must have a concealed carry permit (at least in FL) and can offer some help.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Thanks, but I'd seen that link before and it didn't answer my questions.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
alabama_matt said:
Thanks, but I'd seen that link before and it didn't answer my questions.
DD214 is the form that esentially shows record of your discharge from military service and would presumably be used by someone to show proof of military training if they're no longer on active duty. Obviously, this would not apply to you.

Brett

Lawman

None
Seriously, go to the training thats provided by certified firearms instructors. Ask around a little till you find a good trainer. Its not the handling and safety portion of the class you need to worry about, its the legal understanding of when and how you can employ your weapon as well as where you can take it, ect.

Ignorance of the law will not work as a defense the day your in court for doing something that sounded right. And there are to many people trying to use your mistake as a rallying cry for the anti-gun movement that you cant afford to slip up.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Damn near impossible to get a CCW in Maryland.

You need documented threats on your life or similar...that need to be police verified.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
alabama_matt said:
Ok, so I picked up an application for a concealed carry permit today and it said that for proof of valid training that members of the armed forces could send in a copy of a DD214 form. I have no idea what it is not do I know if I have one available. Not sure if it matters, but I qualified Expert in both pistol and rifle.

Figured that with all the gun threads started here that someone must have a concealed carry permit (at least in FL) and can offer some help.

1. Call the county sheriff's office for forms and procedures and requirements.

2. Call the NRA for certified trainers in your area.

3. Take (and pay for -- nothing is free in life -- certainly not the time of the instructors) the certified, state/locality required training. It is an insurance policy against the future. Like ... why are you carrying concealed, anyway? You may have to use the firearm at some point in time --- the training will document that you are a responsible individual, got proper training, and carried responsibly ....

4. Obey the local and state ordnances and ... did I mention ??? ..... carry responsibly .... :)

Lawman

None
A4sForever said:
3. Take (and pay for -- nothing is free in life -- certainly not the time of the instructors) the certified, state/locality required training. It is an insurance policy against the future. Like ... why are you carrying concealed, anyway? You may have to use the firearm at some point in time --- the training will document that you are a responsible individual, got proper training, and carried responsibly ....

Spot on. You can always call your trainer to court if you someday are involved in a lethal force scenario. A good trainer will maintain documentation on all their students, for just this occasion. He will be able to testify as to your personality as well, make a good impression as a responcible firearms bearer and they will go to bat for you. This can really come in handy especially in Civil court where your training and your state of mind will be used against you by the attacker/his babys mama's Lawyer. Its another card to play, and you want to be holding the deck in court whenever possible.

Fre@kshow!!

Yes, I really was in the circus.
None
Just so I didn't miss anything earlier... you don't plan on carrying on base do you? I doubt if it would result in a court martial, but a quick administrative discharge would be in your future if you were caught on base with a firearm. But check into it at base security what their rules are. Also, any particular reason you need a CCW? Where do you plan on carrying? You don't need one to carry in your car, and you use it anywhere there are people around, like malls or bars or concerts, so why?

Check out this website as well:
http://www.packing.org/state/florida/

790.25 (5)(5) Lawful Ownership, Possession, and Use of Firearms and Other Weapons
It is not necessary to have a license or permit to carry a loaded firearm in a private vehicle, so long as the gun is "securely encased". Florida law defines a weapon as being securely encased if the firearm is in a glove compartment, whether or not locked, in a snapped holster (not worn on your body!), in a zippered gun case or in a box or other container that requires a lid or cover to be lifted or opened in order to gain access to the firearm. These restrictions do not apply to any person who holds a valid Florida Concealed Weapon License or a reciprocal state license/permit.

CCW Forbidden Places
790.06 (12) License to Carry Concealed Weapon or Firearm
Any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05
any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station;
any detention facility, prison, or jail;
any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom;
any polling place;
any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district;
any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof;
any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms;
any school administration building;
any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose;
any elementary or secondary school facility;
any area vocational-technical center;
any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile;
inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or
any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law
In addition, Section 790.11 prohibits firearms in National Forests except during hunting season. This does not apply to a firearm securely stored within a vehicle on a state road.
62-D-2.014 of the State Administrative Code: Allows State Parks to restrict the carrying of firearms in all Florida State Parks. Even those with a Valid License to Carry in Florida can not carry in Florida State Parks.
Florida Statute 823.05 defines a place of nuisance as a "place which tends to annoy the community or injure the health of the community...or any house or place of prostitution, assignation, lewdness or place or building where games of chance are engaged in violation of law or any place where any law of the state is violated."

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
IF THIS IS FOR A FLORIDA CCW PERMIT, A PHOTOCOPY OF YOUR MILITARY ID, FRONT AND BACK, IS PERFECTLY ACCEPTABLE. THIS IS HOW I OBTAINED MY FLORIDA CCW PERMIT.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fre@kshow!! said:
But check into it at base security what their rules are.
Don't bother. Personal firearms are prohibited - period.

Brett

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Brett327 said:

Brett
Close ..... but not quite .... personal firearms ARE permitted on base ... i.e., in Capehart Housing. If you live "aboard" ... you must register your firearm(s) AND yourself (obviously) with station security and the firearm MUST be off your body .... in the trunk -- not "carried" .... when you pass through gate security on your way to your on-base residence. You cannot have them at work, either --- in the car or otherwise --- which means you are effectively disarmed if and when you venture outside the base perimeter. That's the unintended consequense of your government being there to "help" you .... :)

The reverse procedure applies when you travel from your Capehart residence through the gate and enter the Danger Zone ... i.e., when the goblins and monsters prowl. Civie street ..... that's where the danger is --- not aboard the NAS.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Brett327 said:

Brett

Not always. I had a base hunting permit at Whidbey and that was fine to keep a shotgun in the car. Got checked twice going on base and they said no problem. Things may have changed after 911 though. When I first came to Andrews (the NAF side)the skeet range was on base so that was fine. Used to go shoot a couple rounds on drill weekend as late as three or four years ago until they dozed the range. It had been there since 1947 and they decided that it was in the runway impact zone so it had to go. Surprise with the Air Farce though they built a third base golf course there.

Pugs

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pugs said:
Not always. I had a base hunting permit at Whidbey and that was fine to keep a shotgun in the car. Got checked twice going on base and they said no problem. Things may have changed after 911 though. When I first came to Andrews (the NAF side)the skeet range was on base so that was fine. Used to go shoot a couple rounds on drill weekend as late as three or four years ago until they dozed the range. It had been there since 1947 and they decided that it was in the runway impact zone so it had to go. Surprise with the Air Farce though they built a third base golf course there.

Pugs

But can you carry? Never ever seen a base you can CCW on.