• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Compare Navy OCS to USMC OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

usanavypilot

One more thing (and for oohrah this is not gospel)...I know that you have a lot more chances at Navy OCS. You can fail an inspection and be able to take it again...and if you fail it again you are put in holding company. Other people that get injured also go into holding company. There are some people there that have been at OCS for a year because they can't get their **** together. The Navy is a lot more lenient.

gunnydhe

gunnydhe
Well here are the differences. Being a 3 tour DI I can offer some insight.

Marine OCS focuses on two things. PT and leadership. There scheduled PT sessions are far more intense than the Navy's. The Navy tends to run as the slowest man. IPT/RPT or mashing is non-existant at Quantico. The feeling is the PT sessions do that job.
The leadership aspect is far more intense at Quantico also. The Sergeant Instructors (they are not allowed to be called Drill Instructors/a bad word to Marine Officers) do have a large amount of attrite power. Over all it is allot more organized and regimented than the Navy. Everytime you get someone new in charge of the Navy's they want to change the entire cirriculium.

Now what the Navy does have is the Marine Drill Instructor and nothing less. At P'cola he holds many powers that he would never have at Quantico. One is to be able to IPT/Mash. The other is a tremendous attrite power depending on how weak his class Chief and Officer are. He also has the ability to change and alter daily PT. I am sad to say that the PT standard at NOCS has gone down drastically. It is hard to convince a Navy Commander who is a fat piece of **** that PT needs to be more intense. Still once we get behind the security of four walls we can more than make up for it. Hope this helps somewhat.

Oh yeah, NOCS waste countless hours on academics that you will never and I mean never use. But it does help weed out some turds. Semper Fi Mac.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Great info, and from a realiable source, which this site needs more of. When and where did you DI?

gunnydhe

gunnydhe
Thisguy said:
If you don't mind me asking, what was your last class at Navy OCS? I was there at the tail end of '02.

I am not even sure, maybe 28-01. It was September of 2001 then I just helped with all the other classes until I retired. Who was your Drill Instructor?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
"Helped out" huh? Yeah, it was always nice when the other DIs "helped" us eat. ;)
My Class Drill Instructor was GySgt Hanson. So you were basically done at the end of 2001?

gunnydhe

gunnydhe
Thisguy said:
"Helped out" huh? Yeah, it was always nice when the other DIs "helped" us eat. ;)
My Class Drill Instructor was GySgt Hanson. So you were basically done at the end of 2001?
Yes, that is what we do is help out. I know Gunny Hanson. He seemed pretty level headed and seemed like he was going to do a good job there. If you want to know who I am, I am the guy in the recruiting video (if they even show that anymore).

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
gunnydhe said:
If you want to know who I am, I am the guy in the recruiting video (if they even show that anymore).

That is awesome. They showed it to me. "SHUT UP MACKLIN! YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING!!!"

thumper

gunnydhe,

That was an awesome video. I went through Navy OCS in 2003 and alot of wished it had been alot more intense PT-wise and I thought the academics were retarded. I wish they had us climb obstacles or some other task that pushed us and did more to prepare us for the fleet.

spr

Still wondering about the commment made earlier about the 12 hours between chows for the Navy OCS...was that just a typo?

trt23

if there's one thing i can't stand, it is people arguing about how their training is tougher than someone else's.

trust me, if you think you are tough then you're probably not

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
spr said:
Still wondering about the commment made earlier about the 12 hours between chows for the Navy OCS...was that just a typo?

Yes, you eat lunch, they're training you down in P-cola, not running a concentration camp.

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
Ahh yess.. Navy OCS... been about a year since graduation. Had me so brainwashed I was clipping IP's off my flight suit and tie-ing ALL my laces outboard over inboard. I have a lot of respect for the DI's though... especially GySgt. Hanson. The man would walk up to a Commander and tell him his uniform was unsat.

I think the first 4 weeks are about as tough as it can get. Regardless of how much harder Marine OCS does PT. After day 3 of getting mashed by DI's everyone's just trying their hardest to get by. I remember our class president (SEAL candidate) was getting mashed and in the course of a few minutes got so fatigued but wanted to show that he "had heart" and so he kept trying and he slipped in his own puddle of sweat and hit his chin on the deck and started bleeding... we all thought that was the funniest thing. Our DI had this look of bewilderment...

Status
Not open for further replies.