• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Common Aviation Quotes / Pearls of Wisdom

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Some more...good to see you all again...

1) It's not the falling out of the sky that will kill you. It's the abrupt stop at the end.
2) No one ever died hitting air... ("Climb to Cope")

And my personal 3 favorites...
3) Don't EVER bust a BINGO.
4) Don't EVER pass up a chance to get fuel.
5) Don't EVER stick anything up your butt.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
ChunksJR said:
Some more...good to see you all again...

1) It's not the falling out of the sky that will kill you. It's the abrupt stop at the end.
2) No one ever died hitting air... ("Climb to Cope")

And my personal 3 favorites...
3) Don't EVER bust a BINGO.
4) Don't EVER pass up a chance to get fuel.
5) Don't EVER stick anything up your butt.
LOVE the last one... fabulous advice for ALL situations!

Lawman

None
eddie said:
LOVE the last one... fabulous advice for ALL situations!

Wait till your Flight Physical.;) Then again I guess that rule doesnt apply if its the doctor doing the sticking.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Lawman said:
Wait till your Flight Physical.;) Then again I guess that rule doesnt apply if its the doctor doing the sticking.

Actually the digital rectal exam is very much out of vogue these days. I asked my MD about this last year and he said that particular examination serves little purpose and what seems to happen is a doctor will detect a false positive if nothing else. If an MD does it it's more likely a case of "that's the way I was trained..blah blah blah". You can politely refuse. Unless you really look forward to it of course :)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lawman said:

I never had to do it for my flight physicals.

Lawman

None
ChuckMK23 said:
Actually the digital rectal exam is very much out of vogue these days. I asked my MD about this last year and he said that particular examination serves little purpose and what seems to happen is a doctor will detect a false positive if nothing else. If an MD does it it's more likely a case of "that's the way I was trained..blah blah blah". You can politely refuse. Unless you really look forward to it of course :)

Talk about saved by the bell, I have one in .... 5 hours.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
I never had to do it for my flight physicals.
I think it's an "age" thing ... kinda like EKG's on your FAA flight physicals ---- I get the "finger wave" every six months AND an EKG every 12 months. :eek: :eek: Age .... you gotta love it.

The only real problem with the "wave" is my AME usually gets a running start .....

virtu050 said:
Thought I'd start a thread on common things I've heard IP's tell studs... pilot's confucianism if you will...

1. Aviate, Navigate, Communicate
2. You control the aircraft. Don't let the aircraft control you.
3. You're the PIC, you tell me.
4. Don't make excuses.
5. Never accept being off parameters... if you're 10' off altitude.. correct

got more? let's hear 'em.

Bad day when you're outta airspeed, altitude and ideas.

plc67

pilot
The most memorable debrief happened when I was learning to hover a
Sea Ranger. My instructor, a dead pan LCDR who flew for HC7 in RVN lead a conversation that went like this:
IP: Lieutenant, when you're trying to hover do you feel any resistance on the controls?
Me(after reflecting): Why yes sir, I do.
IP: Well, that's me. You're trying to kill us, I'm trying to save us. Don't fight me lieutenant.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not exactly a truism, a T-56 surely will if it's a stiff breeze blowing in the tail pipe. Compressor stall, they will "pop" out the behind.

Case in point, we were taxiing towards the hold short in Kef with 80-90 Kts of wind going up the tailpipe and we flamed out the #4 motor. Decided to not go flying that night.

Brett

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
"You'll never get stars on your collar by sticking one thumb in your mouth and the other up your butt and waiting for someone to yell 'switch.'"

Probably the most brown-shoeish black-shoe O-6 I've ever met used that in a staff meeting one day. As my old boss, we could have used him on the aviation side (he even preferred wearing brown shoes w/ his khakis).