• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Common Aviation Quotes / Pearls of Wisdom

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
Thought I'd start a thread on common things I've heard IP's tell studs... pilot's confucianism if you will...

1. Aviate, Navigate, Communicate
2. You control the aircraft. Don't let the aircraft control you.
3. You're the PIC, you tell me.
4. Don't make excuses.
5. Never accept being off parameters... if you're 10' off altitude.. correct

got more? let's hear 'em.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
6. Trim, Trim, Trim.
7. Get on centerline.
8. Fly the plane first, worry about all the other **** later.
9. Strive for perfection.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
10. It's more important to handle the problem you have in the air than it is to radio your plight to someone on the ground incapable of understanding it or helping you.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
From one of the cooler IPs I flew with in Corpus:
-Always look/sound as cool as humanly possible at all times.
-Never hit your head on anything.
-Always use the fact that you're a pilot to get laid as often as possible.

May sound like funny BS, but it all goes back to one of the greatest aviation/military quotes I've ever heard:

"A little levity is appropriate in a dangerous profession."

Oh, and one regarding my own worst shortcoming: "Stop trying to squeeze the black out of the frigging stick."

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
nittany03 said:
10. It's more important to handle the problem you have in the air than it is to radio your plight to someone on the ground incapable of understanding it or helping you.

Tempered by the fact that someone on the ground may, infact, be able to help you. They may just know systems (squadron rep/tower flower) can give you min safe altitudes, vectors to nearest field,etc. You should absolutely control the aircraft before you talk to anyone. Complete checklists without having to answer questions about souls on board and fuel state. But do use every resource on the other end of the radio. CRM

11. My favorite: The first thing you do in any emergency is hack the clock. The reason is that often the first move you make under stress is the wrong one. Starting the clock is something you are not likely to screw up, can't hurt you if you screw it up, forces a very small time lag so you have delt with the adrenalin rush, and in many procedures a time hack is a necessary part of the trouble shooting.

Pags

N/A
pilot
12. Small and smooth control inputs.
13. Fly that last 50' of final as smooth as possible.
14. Be your own harshest critic.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
wink said:
Tempered by the fact that someone on the ground may, infact, be able to help you. They may just know systems (squadron rep/tower flower) can give you min safe altitudes, vectors to nearest field. You should absolutely control the aircraft before you talk to anyone. Complete checklists without having to answer questions about souls on board and fuel state. But do use every resource on the other end of the radio. CRM

Absolutely true. And speaking of systems,
15. NATOPS is written in blood.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Never lead a low ball.

Never center a high ball in-close.

Always lead a high ball.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
zab1001 said:
16. Hey FNG, STFU.

Ain't that the truth...

Sidenote: When the hell did I start saying ain't? I've been living in MS too long.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
A4sForever said:
DON'T DO WHAT I DO .... DO WHAT I SAY !!!

CAPT ALOHA :captain_1

I've always hated that one, especially as a student.

17. In every thing you do, it's all about finesse.

Singer6

Konichiwa *****es
Not really a pearl of wisdom, but I think its funny. (In the right context of course)

18. If you hit the ramp on speed you're a quitter.