• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CNAF/CNATRA Callsign Review Boards?

Farva01

BKR
pilot
As my first skipper said, you succeed in Naval Aviation by realizing that beyond a certain point, the "frat boy" act is just an act, and you still have to be a commissioned officer. But the Navy needs a group of contrarians, people who are willing to question the status quo, and be just irreverent enough to keep the pot boiling.

I didn't come up with the analogy, and can't remember who did. But each of our "big three" warfare areas brings a different approach to senior leadership and warfighting, and they're all needed. The SWO community is generally the keeper of Navy tradition and heritage, all the way back to the Six Frigates and the days of sail. The Sub Nuc community brings an engineer's mindset and a strict attention to detail, always with an eye on the long game. But it's the people wearing the Wings of Gold, especially TACAIR types, that prize disciplined aggression. We make sure the Navy honors Danton's old maxim: "l'audace, encore de l'audace, toujours de l'audace." Or in Halsey's words, "Hit hard, hit fast, hit often."
Nice post brother. I am definitely going to plagiarize that one.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
As my first skipper said, you succeed in Naval Aviation by realizing that beyond a certain point, the "frat boy" act is just an act, and you still have to be a commissioned officer. But the Navy needs a group of contrarians, people who are willing to question the status quo, and be just irreverent enough to keep the pot boiling.

I didn't come up with the analogy, and can't remember who did. But each of our "big three" warfare areas brings a different approach to senior leadership and warfighting, and they're all needed. The SWO community is generally the keeper of Navy tradition and heritage, all the way back to the Six Frigates and the days of sail. The Sub Nuc community brings an engineer's mindset and a strict attention to detail, always with an eye on the long game. But it's the people wearing the Wings of Gold, especially TACAIR types, that prize disciplined aggression. We make sure the Navy honors Danton's old maxim: "l'audace, encore de l'audace, toujours de l'audace." Or in Halsey's words, "Hit hard, hit fast, hit often."
I wanted to give you a thumbs up on this. I really like it. Then I remembered there are those (maybe even on this site) whose aggressiveness lies in the way they drink and promote the Koolaid.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wanted to give you a thumbs up on this. I really like it. Then I remembered there are those (maybe even on this site) whose aggressiveness lies in the way they drink and promote the Koolaid.
One could argue that's designator-agnostic. :)

HuggyU2

None

I didn't see this memo posted elsewhere.
So... are your Navy/Marine squadrons "assembling to review" the callsigns? I'm sure that's a fun way to spend a few hours.

Just curious: As we go forward, is "Huggy" sexually suggestive and inappropriate? If so, can I switch to a new and cooler callsign like "Slash" or "Burner"?

Y'all are rapidly catching up with the USAF on political correctness.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
5.a. is really hard to read. I recommend "green squiggly underline" (consider rephrasing) or "F7" (grammar check) for CNAF's new callsign.

I hope that's not too hostile.

Reactions: IKE

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
View attachment 27558View attachment 27559

I didn't see this memo posted elsewhere.
So... are your Navy/Marine squadrons "assembling to review" the callsigns? I'm sure that's a fun way to spend a few hours.

Just curious: As we go forward, is "Huggy" sexually suggestive and inappropriate? If so, can I switch to a new and cooler callsign like "Slash" or "Burner"?

Y'all are rapidly catching up with the USAF on political correctness.
My Skipper considered his signing of our Social Roster to be Commanding Officer Approval of all callsigns.

I do know of a DH in a sister squadron that called foul and demanded his callsigns be changed.....

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My Skipper considered his signing of our Social Roster to be Commanding Officer Approval of all callsigns.

I do know of a DH in a sister squadron that called foul and demanded his callsigns be changed.....
It seems to me this is a memo that's basically just formalizing what's gone on since at least when you and I were nuggets. Everyone's known since the VFA-137 fiasco that if a callsign generates an EO complaint, the Skipper's going to be in hot water, so the Skipper gets to nix potential callsigns. And I know of several people whose callsigns got sanitized throughout the course of their career.

Heck, you almost got one that might have been pushing it, but it got a "hell no" from Skipper. So it was back to the drawing board for the one you actually have. :)

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
It seems to me this is a memo that's basically just formalizing what's gone on since at least when you and I were nuggets. Everyone's known since the VFA-137 fiasco that if a callsign generates an EO complaint, the Skipper's going to be in hot water, so the Skipper gets to nix potential callsigns. And I know of several people whose callsigns got sanitized throughout the course of their career.

Heck, you almost got one that might have been pushing it, but it got a "hell no" from Skipper. So it was back to the drawing board for the one you actually have. :)
I just remember hearing "Goat Fucker" suggested....

jmcquate

Contributor
is "Huggy" sexually suggestive and inappropriate?
I think the real question is, is the call sign inappropriate, or the story behind it? Listened to a podcast today Huggy where the story about how "Lips" got his call sign was told.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
So former Blue Angel LT Packer can no longer go by Fudge? Do they need to try and recall all the airship souvenir programs stashed in homes around the country to fix this travesty?

(Edit: I know, out of the Navy a long, long time ago.)

Last edited: