• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CNAF/CNATRA Callsign Review Boards?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Maybe POTUS is a fan of steampunk?
Steampunk is a subgenre of science fiction or science fantasy that incorporates technology and aesthetic designs inspired by 19th-century industrial steam-powered machinery.[1][2]Although its literary origins are sometimes associated with the cyberpunk genre,[3]steampunk works are often set in an alternative history of the 19th century's British Victorian era or American "Wild West", in a future during which steam power has maintained mainstream usage, or in a fantasy world that similarly employs steam power.

UInavy

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nothing upsets me.

I'm just surprised that given the ultra/overly politically correct Navy culture we live in today.......
Bubblehead, I’m confused. Do you think that the Navy culture is ‘overly politically correct’, or is this all ‘like talking to a young child’? You do realize that a large percentage of the posters here are retired, resigned, or from another service, right? Their opinions are just as valid, but your generalized conclusion is shallow at best. Saying this thread speaks for Naval Aviators as a whole is like eating a gas station burrito and declaring that all Mexican food is terrible. Get some perspective.

Attachments

• B6B990F0-1E25-4246-B1D5-05E0689E2173.jpeg
    B6B990F0-1E25-4246-B1D5-05E0689E2173.jpeg
    105.3 KB · Views: 84

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Bubblehead, I’m confused. Do you think that the Navy culture is ‘overly politically correct’, or is this all ‘like talking to a young child’? You do realize that a large percentage of the posters here are retired, resigned, or from another service, right? Their opinions are just as valid, but your generalized conclusion is shallow at best. Saying this thread speaks for Naval Aviators as a whole is like eating a gas station burrito and declaring that all Mexican food is terrible. Get some perspective.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Yes, it's a sweeping generalization. My comments are not meant to offend or piss anyone off :) we sometimes have heated debates here and then we all hug a move on.

The current Navy culture speaks for itself. And yes, some folks respond like young children as if nothing is the matter with certain things in light of said Navy culture (sky d*cks, off color / walking the line call signs, POTUS patch).

I think back to what we used to do on subs back in the early 90's, as well as what some of my dive school instructors did during school. None of it would fly in today's Navy.

It is what it is.

Last edited:

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, it's a sweeping generalization. My comments are not meant to offend or piss anyone off :) we sometimes have heated debates here and then we all hug a move on.

The current Navy culture speaks for itself. And yes, some folks respond like young children as if nothing is the matter with certain things in light of said Navy culture (sky d*cks, off color / walking the line call signs, POTUS patch).

I think back to what we used to do on subs back in the early 90's, as well as what some of my dive school instructors did during school. None of it would fly in today's Navy.

It is what it is.
Naval Aviation culture has always been to walk the line, question seniors, and at least give the appearance of not giving a shit beyond the next flight. That has not changed. It is simply matter of degree. True enough, what we did in the 80s is in a different universe. But wherever the line is drawn , young naval aviators will push it. I hope that never changes. They are not SWOs or bubbleheads for a reason.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Naval Aviation culture has always been to walk the line, question seniors, and at least give the appearance of not giving a shit beyond the next flight. That has not changed. It is simply matter of degree. True enough, what we did in the 80s is in a different universe. But wherever the line is drawn , young naval aviators will push it. I hope that never changes. They are not SWOs or bubbleheads for a reason.
As my first skipper said, you succeed in Naval Aviation by realizing that beyond a certain point, the "frat boy" act is just an act, and you still have to be a commissioned officer. But the Navy needs a group of contrarians, people who are willing to question the status quo, and be just irreverent enough to keep the pot boiling.

I didn't come up with the analogy, and can't remember who did. But each of our "big three" warfare areas brings a different approach to senior leadership and warfighting, and they're all needed. The SWO community is generally the keeper of Navy tradition and heritage, all the way back to the Six Frigates and the days of sail. The Sub Nuc community brings an engineer's mindset and a strict attention to detail, always with an eye on the long game. But it's the people wearing the Wings of Gold, especially TACAIR types, that prize disciplined aggression. We make sure the Navy honors Danton's old maxim: "l'audace, encore de l'audace, toujours de l'audace." Or in Halsey's words, "Hit hard, hit fast, hit often."

Python

pilot
Contributor
As my first skipper said, you succeed in Naval Aviation by realizing that beyond a certain point, the "frat boy" act is just an act, and you still have to be a commissioned officer. But the Navy needs a group of contrarians, people who are willing to question the status quo, and be just irreverent enough to keep the pot boiling.

I didn't come up with the analogy, and can't remember who did. But each of our "big three" warfare areas brings a different approach to senior leadership and warfighting, and they're all needed. The SWO community is generally the keeper of Navy tradition and heritage, all the way back to the Six Frigates and the days of sail. The Sub Nuc community brings an engineer's mindset and a strict attention to detail, always with an eye on the long game. But it's the people wearing the Wings of Gold, especially TACAIR types, that prize disciplined aggression. We make sure the Navy honors Danton's old maxim: "l'audace, encore de l'audace, toujours de l'audace." Or in Halsey's words, "Hit hard, hit fast, hit often."

Hear, Hear!