• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Clearance fiasco..

Mckegger

pilot
I got to spend the holidays with my girlfriend (who ended up eventually being my wife) when my parents were stationed overseas and I couldn't travel. Getting ready to drive back home, her father was talking to me and said out of the blue, "Taxi1, what are your intentions?"

I looked him straight in the eye and replied, "Traffic shouldn't be too bad, so I'll take the beltway around DC. Be home in 6-7 hours."

It's ok to have opinions and then to change your mind Mckegger. :rolleyes:

I’d really like to recant that previous statement. Someday it’d be nice once I’m settled down. I’d really like to play with the new gadgets and toys until then though. Perhaps I’ll end up being a washed out Alaskan Bush pilot if this doesn’t work out. The world always needs plenty of bartenders as well... I’ve got options

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I got into it on this site ten years ago with A4’s about the airlines. I was finishing advanced/going to the FRS and all I wanted was to fly harriers and blow shit up. I remember telling him I had no interest in being a glorified bus driver.

Now I’ve been one for three years and it’s awesome. So was the harrier. I’d do it all again, but I had no idea how much I would change in 5-6 years. And I agree that trying to tell a motivated newly winged aviator his much the Navy sucks and “go to the show” is poor form.

FinkUFreaky

pilot
I'm not telling you to do the Navy half-assed or have an attitude of I'm only here for the future airline job. I'm just saying don't intentionally close the door on anything until you actually are at the point in your Navy career where it's a choice. You don't know what the future will bring or how you'll feel in 8 or 9 years. To just blatantly say F' the airlines at this point is just meaningless.
To piggy-back, I never had CO ambitions. But planned on doing the twenty, because what we do is awesome, pension, etc. I still look back at joining as the best decision I ever made. Things changed. Got REALLY sick of moving every year or 3. Airlines were hiring like no end. Things changed again. I'm still getting out, things are looking like it was still a great decision. Things might change again. Either way, yes good advice above. RIGHT now, you think "F the airlines". See what you are thinking 8 years from now when you actually have a choice in life again.

KTBQ

Naval Radiator
pilot
I’d really like to recant that previous statement. Someday it’d be nice once I’m settled down. I’d really like to play with the new gadgets and toys until then though. Perhaps I’ll end up being a washed out Alaskan Bush pilot if this doesn’t work out. The world always needs plenty of bartenders as well... I’ve got options
Don’t recant anything. You’ve stumbled across some butthurt snowflakes that can’t take an offhand, throwaway comment for what it is. Do you, figure it out as you go along like everyone else, and have some fun. You’ll come across hardos like this all the time, they’re easily identified and best given a wide berth.

FinkUFreaky

pilot
Don’t recant anything. You’ve stumbled across some butthurt snowflakes that can’t take an offhand, throwaway comment for what it is. Do you, figure it out as you go along like everyone else, and have some fun. You’ll come across hardos like this all the time, they’re easily identified and best given a wide berth.
All I'd say, is it's more common to find butthurt CO's that a JO decides to leave than it is to find butthurt Airline reservists that a JO decides to stay in. It isn't like guys are trying to "recruit" from the fleet. I don't think anyone was trying to convince this young man, or whatever gender pronoun they prefer, to get out. Just to keep their mind open, which I didn't really open myself until my shore tour. It is good advice. Enjoy your time in, as I mentioned previously, it's the best decision I've ever made. Don't close doors. Your mind may change a little bit when you've seen how the sausage is made. You may even be more into it, and if so, good on you!

KTBQ

Naval Radiator
pilot
All I'd say, is it's more common to find butthurt CO's that a JO decides to leave than it is to find butthurt Airline reservists that a JO decides to stay in. It isn't like guys are trying to "recruit" from the fleet. I don't think anyone was trying to convince this young man, or whatever gender pronoun they prefer, to get out. Just to keep their mind open, which I didn't really open myself until my shore tour. It is good advice. Enjoy your time in, as I mentioned previously, it's the best decision I've ever made. Don't close doors. Your mind may change a little bit when you've seen how the sausage is made. You may even be more into it, and if so, good on you!
You’re still doing it

FinkUFreaky

pilot
You’re still doing it
First off, I'm not an airline guy, nor am I trying to recruit anybody into any bullshit. Seems like you are "still doing it." Naval Aviation is an amazing experience. Awesome career for those that want it to be one. I haven't invited anyone into my secret "plan to become a millionaire" with my comments, so please don't insinuate such. Just telling truth, as are others. Even Astronauts have something to complain about ?

Last edited:

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
First off, I'm not an airline guy. Seems like you are "still doing it".
It's worth mentioning that a lot of us are "still doing it." LTs, Hinges, O5s, Captains and beyond. Most folks have an extremely rewarding experience, even if some don't. There are a thousand variables that go into whether any single tour, or the totality of one's Naval Aviation experience will be amazing, or lackluster. Roll the bones... the odds are in your favor.

FinkUFreaky

pilot
It's worth mentioning that a lot of us are "still doing it." LTs, Hinges, O5s, Captains and beyond. Most folks have an extremely rewarding experience, even if some don't. There are a thousand variables that go into whether any single tour, or the totality of one's Naval Aviation experience will be amazing, or lackluster. Roll the bones... the odds are in your favor.
Wow, I may have completely misread @primary28 's remarks as that I was "still doing it" IE recruiting folks to the airlines. If he meant, I'm still Active Duty Navy, then true for 18 more days :). Wouldn't ever go back and change joining, have had many amazing experiences..

But based on what I responded to: "You’ll come across hardos like this all the time, they’re easily identified and best given a wide berth." when talking about someone mentioning not all navy pilots have to become the next CNO....

Last edited:

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wow, I may have completely misread @primary28 's remarks as that I was "still doing it" IE recruiting folks to the airlines. If he meant, I'm still Active Duty Navy, then true for 18 more days :). Wouldn't ever go back and change joining, have had many amazing experiences..
Whatever he may have meant, I hope my meaning is clear. I wish you incredible success as you transition to the next chapter of your adventure!