• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CJCS circumvented POTUS?

Treetop Flyer

pilot
No, because then it would not be an unprovoked surprise attack. So no need to pre-emptively strike us. Stand down your forces.

What all was going on that made the Chinese consider the need for a pre-emptive strike, anyway? Anything in domestic US politics that concerned them?
He wasn’t talking about a pre-emptive attack by the Chinese. He was explicitly telling them that he thought we may order an attack and if so he’d warn them. Done with you on this topic since you refuse to read plain English

taxi1

pilot
He wasn’t talking about a pre-emptive attack by the Chinese.
Do you even read the shit you quote?

Believing that China could lash out if it felt at risk from an unpredictable and vengeful American president...

and

"Milley had reviewed intelligence suggesting that the Chinese believed the U.S. was preparing to attack at that time, and he feared a hair-trigger situation in which there could be miscalculation, or a preemptive strike by China in an attempt to fend this off or get ahead of it.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Do you even read the shit you quote?

Believing that China could lash out if it felt at risk from an unpredictable and vengeful American president...

and

"Milley had reviewed intelligence suggesting that the Chinese believed the U.S. was preparing to attack at that time, and he feared a hair-trigger situation in which there could be miscalculation, or a preemptive strike by China in an attempt to fend this off or get ahead of it.
He was telling them we may attack and he’d warn them. You can keep twisting all you want but there is no other way to interpret what the article claims he said.

taxi1

pilot
there is no other way to interpret what the article claims he said.
That is just plain stupid, and I assume you are doing it willfully.

So you have intel that says China is considering a pre-emptive strike on us because they are worried (appropriately) about the mental stability of the guy who lost the election but is still in charge. They are worried, for whatever reason, that he may launch a no-notice strike on Chinese interests to "wag the dog", especially after he already launched an attack on his own congress. What do you say to the Chinese to talk them down off the "might as well strike the US first" pre-emptive strike ledge?

Treetop Flyer

pilot
That is just plain stupid, and I assume you are doing it willfully.

So you have intel that says China is considering a pre-emptive strike on us because they are worried (appropriately) about the mental stability of the guy who lost the election but is still in charge. They are worried, for whatever reason, that he may launch a no-notice strike on Chinese interests to "wag the dog", especially after he already launched an attack on his own congress. What do you say to the Chinese to talk them down off the "might as well strike the US first" pre-emptive strike ledge?
One, I’d like to hear what he supposedly heard.

If I was CJCS and I legitimately thought the president was going to start a wag the dog style war with China, I’d resign and go public. I don’t think I’d tell them we’re stable by telling them I promise to warn them if we sneak attack. Nothing assures them of stability like telling them you’ll undermine your crazy president and side with them.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Some thoughts from someone who spent a couple years sitting in on calls like these in CJCS' office...

• Seems clear now that these calls happened in coordination with the interagency, and at the direction of SECDEF.
  • These kinds of calls are routine, and absolutely essential during times of heightened tensions.
  • Establishing trust and confidence building measures with our adversaries during potential crises is well within CJCS' wheelhouse.
  • CJCS telling his counterpart that he would consult with him before a US attack in the hopes of easing tensions is not the same as CJCS actually tipping off his counterpart prior to an actual US attack... something, mind you, that was never a likely outcome. While I can't get into Milley's head, sometimes you bend the truth when conducting diplomacy to get to a mutually beneficial outcome.