• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Chinese spy balloons floating over the US and latin america

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Was discussing sovereign airspace today with some colleagues, I found this answer (the practical limit of national airspace is somewhere between 100 Km (62 mi) and 160 Km (99 miles) above sea level). Does this jive with the knowledges of you smart folks?
Always thought it was as high as you can defend. Really, if it is higher than what you can enforce, what is to stop anyone from trespassing? Wasn't that theory of the SR 71 program?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Always thought it was as high as you can defend. Really, if it is higher than what you can enforce, what is to stop anyone from trespassing? Wasn't that theory of the SR 71 program?
We can certainly defend against satellites... so there goes that idea. :)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Was discussing sovereign airspace today with some colleagues, I found this answer (the practical limit of national airspace is somewhere between 100 Km (62 mi) and 160 Km (99 miles) above sea level). Does this jive with the knowledges of you smart folks?

That is about right, which is the Kármán line where space 'starts'. The United States defines space as starting at 50 miles while the international definition is 100 kilometers, which is how a pair of X-15 pilots are recognized by us as astronauts but not internationally, and that would the the 'limit' of our sovereign airspace.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Y'all should have given it the bird . . . just saying. :D

Edit . . . really?
The Pentagon's ability to so quickly release a higher-resolution copy of this picture after it had leaked online underscores entirely separate issues that have emerged about the U.S. government's transparency and overall messaging regarding this incident.
Oh, piss off, internet boy. Go cry in your beer that stuff that probably started at the TS/SCI level had to be screened and declassified before you could write your little internet column for the Cheeto-encrusted airshow nerds in Mommy's basement.

Last edited:

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Y'all should have given it the bird . . . just saying. :D

Edit . . . really?

Oh, piss off, internet boy. Go cry in your beer that stuff that probably started at the TS/SCI level had to be screened and declassified before you could write your little internet column for the Cheeto-encrusted airshow nerds in Mommy's basement.
But, but…how can I sim it into my DCS!?!

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
I don't like Cheetos really, But airshows give me (A) A chance to see what my tax dollars are doing and (B) A chance to see up close what Uncle is giving you all to work with.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Whoa, whoa, whoa!!

The Cheeto-encrusted airshow nerds are a completely different group than these Twitter
Clowns, and we take offense to your statement!

Get your dork-groups sorted out!
Didn't mean to imply that the entire airshow crowd was composed of Cheeto-encrusted nerds. I flew jets because my dad and I were part of said crowd in the 80s and 90s at Burke Lakefront Airport. :)

That said, anyone who's done that or who's done a XC to an airshow knows that amongst the airshow crowd, there's a subset of . . . umm . . . those people. And if they're not at the airshow, they're definitely trying to assert their dominance amongst themselves on Reddit via Wikipedia and Jane's.