• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Chinese spy balloons floating over the US and latin america

CallumJohn

Apparently these things are huge - the metal part is reportedly ~3 school-buses large. F-22's were scrambled to shoot it down but ended up not doing it, my biggest questions are: what are they measuring or looking at that isn't already available from satellites or the internet? And why didn't Canada shoot the one in the US down while it was crossing over their mostly unpopulated wilderness.

Attachments

• ap23033841588042_sq-d772c3252389cd6be104cd6bbfc2f3736610c020-s800-c85.jpg
    ap23033841588042_sq-d772c3252389cd6be104cd6bbfc2f3736610c020-s800-c85.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 8

Llarry

Way back when -- in the fabulous Fifties -- the CIA did the same thing with (smaller, I guess) balloons bearing cameras over the USSR. I don't think the photo take was too valuable, but of course it was highly classified.

skybert

Skybert
Psychological maybe? “We fly right over your missile fields and your leaders are powerless”

Because yes, all our enemy’s satellites do it day in and day out, but they’re out of sight for the most part?

Random8145

I'll bet the pilot loved this, was probably thinking, "WOO-HOO, I get to use my weapons for real this time!"

Maybe I am naive but I just find it hilarious all the anguish and fury over a BALLOON from China caught flying over us. Honestly, I'll bet the Chinese are laughing their asses off at the American reaction, probably going ? ? I'm not saying a balloon isn't serious but just the reaction seems funny to me.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor