• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Check out MCPON's new duds

phrogpilot73

I believe the utilities that picklesuit was referring to were these:

Not the Camoflauge Utility Uniform.
Ahhh, that would make sense. What I said stands about the Camouflage Utilities though...

Just out of curiosity, what's the difference between "Dungarees" and "Utilities" they pretty much look identical to me.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Ahhh, that would make sense. What I said stands about the Camouflage Utilities though...

Just out of curiosity, what's the difference between "Dungarees" and "Utilities" they pretty much look identical to me.

Utilities were the updated version of Dungarees. Utilities are more like Dockers, whereas Dungarees were denim.

...and could be found in several state penitentiary supply systems as well.

phrogpilot73

Utilities were the updated version of Dungarees. Utilities are more like Dockers, whereas Dungarees were denim.

...and could be found in several state penitentiary supply systems as well.
Ahh, so the only real difference is material... Got it.

The only difference between prison and being underway is that the prisoners get better food and yard time.

Scoob

pilot
Contributor
Ahh, so the only real difference is material... Got it.
and Dungarees = bellbottoms; Utilities = apparently no longer need to get them off over boondockers after falling overboard.
The only difference between prison and being underway is that the prisoners get better food and yard time.
"...like prison with a chance of drowning."

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
and Dungarees = bellbottoms; Utilities = apparently no longer need to get them off over boondockers after falling overboard.

I always thought the bellbottom was more of a throw to traditional naval garb than for function. Especially the function of removing pants with shoes still on.

Scoob

pilot
Contributor
I always thought the bellbottom was more of a throw to traditional naval garb than for function. Especially the function of removing pants with shoes still on.

I would guess the "traditional naval garb" was more inspired by "function" than anything else. Did you not have to remove and inflate your dungarees in boot camp back in your day? (I did.)

Which brings an interesting point - were dungarees the instigator of the hippie bell bottom fad?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Which brings an interesting point - were dungarees the instigator of the hippie bell bottom fad?

Probably...you gotta figure that the Counterculture would go in for mining the surplus stores rather than Sears.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I believe the utilities that picklesuit was referring to were these:
em_14.jpg

Not the Camoflauge Utility Uniform.

You would be correct...although I never had cool tinted glasses.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
I would guess the "traditional naval garb" was more inspired by "function" than anything else. Did you not have to remove and inflate your dungarees in boot camp back in your day? (I did.)

I had to inflate mine also. Good thing I remembered skivvies that day. The bellbottoms were cool because you could throw them on straight out of the dryer, but they sucked when they finally turned white.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Marines wore camouflage utilities for years prior to our current uniform, and we managed to avoid looking like gas-station attendants/shitbags after 10 minutes. Of course - I'd be willing to bet you didn't wash them with a whole bottle of Sta-Flo, and then use a whole can of Faultless while ironing. Not to mention using fusing tape to hold the pockets flat. And of course, when I've seen sailors wearing utilities - it's pretty obvious that they don't know what a cover block is.
51v6TPKqC2L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Damn it Pyle! I told you to use Sta-Flo, Faultless and fusing tape. When are you going to start fucking listening? And block that cover you shitbag!

Well golly gee whiz Sargent Carter, Shazam!

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
- especially when standing with feet shoulder width apart, one foot positioned so as to allow an AC vent to blow up one leg, across your sack, and down the other.
/threadjack

One of the great things about flying the Boeing 717 - the best ball a/c I've ever experienced.

/end threadjack

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator

I get the bell-bottom idea--to get the trousers over one's boots.

On the other hand, considering the skin-tight fit of the rest of the pants on most sailors, how do they get the pants over their asses?

Scoob

pilot
Contributor
On the other hand, considering the skin-tight fit of the rest of the pants on most sailors, how do they get the pants over their asses?

The hardest part was avoiding the suddenly appearing stampede of Marines when you'd ask: "will someone stuff me in my pants?"

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor

Yes, we learned to inflate our dungarees in boot camp back in my day. We did not, however, jump into the pool fully dressed in dungarees and then have to remove said dungarees while still wearing our boondockers. We were dressed in our issued swim trunks and used the dungarees provided by the pool to learn that valuable survival skill. We did bot the inflate while you jump into the water trick AND the inflate while you are already in the water trick.

I just don't remember any instructor saying to me that I could remove my pants with my shoes on. Like phrogdriver pointed out, they may have bellbottoms but boy are they tight-fitting in other areas.