• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Check out MCPON's new duds

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
My only problem with the trop khakis are the black socks and shoes.....do you think I could get a uniform mod pushed through so that I could wear my Reef flip-flops instead?? They're mo' comfy!
I guess the shoe/socks have changed (??) -- we used to see the Trop Khaki Short pop up in CUBI w/ brown shoes and khaki knee length socks ... also the Trop Whites Short w/ knee length white socks & shoes ...

And a khaki or white pith helmet to top off the ensemble. :D

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
070406-N-0555B-034.jpg
I see a cowboy, an aviator, and a construction worker. Where is the indian and biker?

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I guess the shoe/socks have changed (??) -- we used to see the Trop Khaki Short pop up in CUBI w/ brown shoes and khaki knee length socks ... also the Trop Whites Short w/ knee length white socks & shoes ...

And a khaki or white pith helmet to top off the ensemble. :D

Half joking/half serious, but back if your day did you have to wear men's sock garters? I think those combined with the pith helmet would just be over the top!

23103780.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Half joking/half serious, but back if your day did you have to wear men's sock garters? I think those combined with the pith helmet would just be over the top!

23103780.jpg
Nope -- no garters ... that would have only passed muster in an Olongapo bordello ... :D

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
'Black and Tan', replacing the two above uniforms (They picked the one on the right, the 'Marine-like' one :():

male_and_female-735x573.jpg

Why? Just doesn't make sense to me...

Does this mean Chiefs have khaki pants to distinguish?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Semi-off-topic, but seeing as how metal collar devices (vice sleeve badges) are becoming more and more common for Navy E's: I was thinking it should become standard for all E-4+ to wear a rating device on one collar point and your crow on the other, like the Docs and RPs do now. You never see rating badges otherwise, except on jumpers. And it lets you address a petty officer you don't know by his rate, instead of just "petty officer".

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why? Just doesn't make sense to me...

Does this mean Chiefs have khaki pants to distinguish?

Because many in the Navy thought that the current service uniforms were not good enough, 'professional appearance' was something repeatedly mentioned. The 'Black and Tan' is one reason the Navy leadership, especially ADM Mullen, is pushing for the return of Service Dress Khakis.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Because many in the Navy thought that the current service uniforms were not good enough, 'professional appearance' was something repeatedly mentioned. The 'Black and Tan' is one reason the Navy leadership, especially ADM Mullen, is pushing for the return of Service Dress Khakis.

I guess it's what you are used to. I figured we'd be seeing the gray shirt.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dungarees haven't been popular for a long, long time, and the utilities they introduced a couple years ago are too similar for most. One of the female sailors in "Carrier" put it as "I look like a dyke janitor in this getup."

I think the impulse was right - to "neck down" the number of uniforms and make them sharper-looking and more military - but somehow making us look like Marines doesn't seem like the right solution. "We need more esprit d'corps. Marines have it. Let's dress like Marines!"

I think the blue digis will be around for a while, but Karnak predicts another Task Force Uniform in about three years to "address Fleet concerns" with this khaki abomination.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I would have worn anything to get out of utilities. I hated that fucking uniform, I looked like a gas-station attendant, the pants were miserable (didn't fit right, faded, wouldn't hold a crease, shrunk in 2 washes) and it was nearly impossible not to look like a shitbag after 10 minutes work in them. I think BDU's are definitely a good way to go, seeing as EVERY other service has them (hell, every corpsman I see wears the Marine BDU's anyway)

I would rather wear the blue coveralls all day than utilities.

(Okay, the rant is over)

The Black and Tan looks okay, better than Salt and Peppers...

phrogpilot73

I would have worn anything to get out of utilities. I hated that fucking uniform, I looked like a gas-station attendant, the pants were miserable (didn't fit right, faded, wouldn't hold a crease, shrunk in 2 washes) and it was nearly impossible not to look like a shitbag after 10 minutes work in them. I think BDU's are definitely a good way to go, seeing as EVERY other service has them (hell, every corpsman I see wears the Marine BDU's anyway).
Marines wore camouflage utilities for years prior to our current uniform, and we managed to avoid looking like gas-station attendants/shitbags after 10 minutes. Of course - I'd be willing to bet you didn't wash them with a whole bottle of Sta-Flo, and then use a whole can of Faultless while ironing. Not to mention using fusing tape to hold the pockets flat. And of course, when I've seen sailors wearing utilities - it's pretty obvious that they don't know what a cover block is.

We also don't have BDU's (Battle Dress Uniform) - that's the Army name for the old camouflage utilities. We wear the Marine Corps Combat Utility Uniform, or MCCUU.

lmnop

Marines wore camouflage utilities for years prior to our current uniform, and we managed to avoid looking like gas-station attendants/shitbags after 10 minutes. Of course - I'd be willing to bet you didn't wash them with a whole bottle of Sta-Flo, and then use a whole can of Faultless while ironing. Not to mention using fusing tape to hold the pockets flat. And of course, when I've seen sailors wearing utilities - it's pretty obvious that they don't know what a cover block is.

I believe the utilities that picklesuit was referring to were these:
em_14.jpg

Not the Camoflauge Utility Uniform.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
I would have worn anything to get out of utilities. I hated that fucking uniform, I looked like a gas-station attendant, the pants were miserable (didn't fit right, faded, wouldn't hold a crease, shrunk in 2 washes) and it was nearly impossible not to look like a shitbag after 10 minutes work in them. I think BDU's are definitely a good way to go, seeing as EVERY other service has them (hell, every corpsman I see wears the Marine BDU's anyway)

I would rather wear the blue coveralls all day than utilities.

(Okay, the rant is over)

The Black and Tan looks okay, better than Salt and Peppers...
Two words, you little whiner:

Bellbottom dungarees.

Truth be told, those were the most comfortable things ever - especially when standing with feet shoulder width apart, one foot positioned so as to allow an AC vent to blow up one leg, across your sack, and down the other.

Good times.:D