• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

*Caution* New tests are out and I was the guinea pig.

Status
Not open for further replies.

leatherneck82

Manassas IFS
Well Tougs how do you think you did? What version of the ASTB did you have (3/4/5)? Those questions don't sound familiar. First, a beam is the widest part of a ship, thus running from port to starboard. A keel is the main timber or steel piece that extends the whole length of the ship (the whole ship is built on top of the keel). I have no idea what your talking about as far as current goes. Was that a aviation/nautical question or an electrical question?

:irked_125 Ok in response to frogman and anybody else who plans on getting on here and asking about shortcuts or extreme specifics let me say that learning only what you think you HAVE to learn for the test is a very bad idea. Therefore don't bother me about it. Learn as much as you can about everything and don't take shortcuts.

Oh yeah and I'm now selling the Leatherneck82 ASTB Gouge for the new tests for $5. Live by the Gouge, die by the Gouge, and pay me money for the Gouge. :icon_lol:

tougs9

I took 3 and the current question was on the supplement part. What I mean by current is the current of the water and the beam question was on the aviation nautical part. Also leatherneck did u feel that the reading comprehension was real easy and did you feel you put the answer c for alot of the reading comp questions on the test. leatherneck any questions you have for me on the aviation part go ahead and shoot because I think I got almost ever question on that part right.

leatherneck82

Manassas IFS
I took 3 as well and I don't remember some of those questions at all. As far as I understand the current question the answer must be horizontal, water can't really move vertically unless it is water being pushed from the bottom to the surface (which isn't the case in a current). Yeah paragraph comprehension wasn't too bad once you got past the complex wording and vocabulary. You didn't happen to take your ASTB in St. Louis did you? C was the answer in a lot of places. Thats why they say "when in doubt pick Charlie". On aviation, what was the _____ vortex question? What causes it and whats the damn name of it? Also what part is responsible for roll and bank, is it flap or aileron? These were seperate questions if you remember correctly.

1600 on a Friday night and were both online talking about an aviation test. Were a couple of nerds huh? Well if that's what it takes then so be it right?

tougs9

alright, the vortex question you asked is wingtip vorticies, its caused by slow heavy flight at takeoff(like airliners) it causes turbulance for smaller planes and such. The correct answer was lift. The aileron was the answer for what causes roll and the flaps cause increased lift. They where two separate questions. Hit me back if you got anything else, ill let you know how I did when I get my test back and I took the test in Providence, RI. And Yea that's definately what it takes.

leatherneck82

Manassas IFS
Ok one question was what causes roll? You said that it's the aileron. But another question was what causes bank? Is that aileron as well or flaps? Also I thought the answer to what causes increased elevation would be elevator (the flap on the horizontal stabilizer). On the increased elevation question I put horizontal stabilizer (which come to think of it does sound wrong but at the time it sounded like the only reasonable one). Aren't the flaps on the wing near the fuselage used for banking as well or just for elevation? Also how much weight do you think they give aviation/nautical information part? I mean come on they can teach me that stuff! The reason was that was the one I feel I did poorly on. I know the reason is to gauge your interest in aviation because if your interested you'll most likely know this stuff but it still seems ridiculous.

tougs9

Roll is the movement of the longitudinal axis of an airplane which is a direct effect of aileron movement. The flaps cause increases lift at slower speeds, for things like slow flight and landings. The elevators cause pitch which is the movement about the lateral axis of the airplane which is from wingtip to wingtip. The rudder causes yaw which is the movement about the vertical axis of the airplane

Also the questions on the elevator and the flaps read like this:

1. What on an airplane causes increased lift? Flaps
2. What on an airplane causes pitch? Elevators (pitch is how you bring the plane to a higher elevation)

They are confusing at first but that is how it works. And I don't know how big the aviation part is but I would definately say it counts alot for your pilot rating and you need a 6 to pass that (it has a breakdown in the arco book).

Also did the mechanical comp seem almost too easy for you get back to me.

tougs9

I talked to my OSO today and he told me that the grading system wasn't ready for form 3. He contacted Pensacola and they told him that they have not figured out how they want to grade the new forms yet. If anyone has any info on this please post it.
Thankyou

p1nky1298

Death Dealers
I took Form 3 just this past Monday and my OSO office told me I would probably be getting my score back by Tuesday. I hope he's sure about that because my file goes up to the August board.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Took form 3 yesterday. He told me about a week or so wait for the results. I had two problems that had missing information - one on the diagram, and one in the answers, but it was very easy to figure out what it meant. There was one question that was totally messed up though. Same one that leatherneck mentioned - match the number, but the first number wasn't given.

The paragraph comprehension was much easier than I was expecting. They were just 2-3 sentence blurbs. I thought they might be a little longer.

Leatherneck - I got an a$$-load of C's for answers too, especially on the first 3 parts. I figured that if I should run out of time on the test, that I should just guess c for everything else cause it would probably be right. I think I got 4 in a row one time at the beginning of one of the tests.

The Aviation Supplemental Test was pretty simple. One of the questions for me was "how old were you when you graduated highschool?" so I know that I got at least one right. It had a few basic math questions. The only thing that I would suggest studying up on are nautical terms.

The SA was pretty easy, but the last one had me looking at it for about a minute. The pictures in the ARCO book are very clear and it's easy to see the attitue of the plane. The test pictures quality was a little less - like someone xeroxed the ARCO book or something. I think the view was something like the plane flying into shore at an angle, pitched up, and banked to the left. Two of the answer choices looked identical, but I finally figured out that one was flying straight into shore instead of an angle.

The math section went by pretty quickly too. Make sure that you can easily do one of those problems like "4 bakers can make 10 cakes in 3.5 hours. How long will it take 6 bakers to make.....". I thought that this was probably one of the "harder" ones. And there was one where you had to simplify a fraction. Something like:

n+3
--------
n^2+3N

I had a brain fart on that one for some reason, so I just used the answers and worked backwards. Overall, the test wasn't too bad. Study the mech. gouge on this site and just make sure that you understand the concept of the SA. I'm not sure what's gonna happen with the messed up questions. He told me that he's gonna send it up the chain and see if they can not grade that question or something. Hopefully we all won't have to wait too long for the scores.

rocco36

I would think bank would be a combination of aileron and pitch of the elevator? Sure the aircraft is gonna bank say 45 degress right or left with some aileron, but ultimatley you would pull back on the stick to create a bank? I don't know, but that just seems logical to me. As far as military aircraft, I don't see flaps being used much for bank except for landing...to make a steeper approach without increasing airspeed. Who knows, I could be wrong, but that's my guess. Good luck finding that answer.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
rocco36 said:
I would think bank would be a combination of aileron and pitch of the elevator? Sure the aircraft is gonna bank say 45 degress right or left with some aileron, but ultimatley you would pull back on the stick to create a bank? I don't know, but that just seems logical to me. As far as military aircraft, I don't see flaps being used much for bank except for landing...to make a steeper approach without increasing airspeed. Who knows, I could be wrong, but that's my guess. Good luck finding that answer.

The question asked which part causes the roll, not how do you turn the plane. The aileron is what rolls the plane.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
I just wanted to say thanks to Leatherneck and others that have started the new gouge on the new ASTB test. I'm taking mine on 20 Aug, so hopefully this stuff will help me out. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.