• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

*Caution* New tests are out and I was the guinea pig.

Status
Not open for further replies.

leatherneck82

Manassas IFS
Today July 9 2004 I took the ASTB in St. Louis. My test was test 1 Version 3. Apparently what they are doing now is putting out three versions (3/4/5) of the test and I had to wite in what version I had. The test was so new that there were horrendous typos in it. One question asked which number was closest to a number and they gave you 4 choices (i.e. A}. 0.003 B}. 0.03 etc.) but they didn't give you the number to compare it with, it was blank. I was a major guinea pig here. My first test booklet was missing the last 15 questions of the mechanical part of the test, I had to get a new test. Some new changes are that the math and verbal are now separated into two sections with 30 question each. The Spatial Apperception was 25 questions with 10 minutes to do it (I finished in 8 mins so thats not a problem). The biggest problem was the aviation/nautical section. The handout helped a little but only about 50%. Mechanical section was a peice of cake (no monkey and pulley question). Another thing is that there is a new 34 question "Aviation Supplemental Test". You are given 25 minutes to complete it and I finished in very quick time. What is contained in this section is a mixture of math, verbal, mechanical, and aviation/nautical questions mixed all up together in one section. My Cpt. told me that they don't take this score into consideration for flight school so I don't know what the purpose is unless it is used for borderline scores. I will update you guys with my scores when I get them. I actually feel pretty good about it. I'm dog tired now though so later tonight or most likely tomorrow I will post on here some study tips and a few of the questions that I remember.

Semper Fi do or d... :sleep_125 ....

Gryphon

new version of test

hey,

i'm new to this forum. i found it earlier this week as i am currently preparing to take the ASTB on Tuesday. i too am taking the new version of test. Thanks for giving everybody the heads up on what the new version is like. i hope its a lot like the sample prep test still though? also, as far as the verbal section, is it all reading comprehension or is there vocabulary as well? appreciate the help. by the way, I am just taking the math, verbal, and mechanical sections. i'm applying for supply and SWO. thanks bro.

G. Stone

tougs9

What do you mean you had to write in it, do u mean fill in the blank questions. Please leave as many tips as you possibly can Thankyou

leatherneck82

Manassas IFS
No there are no fill in the blank questions. I had to blacken in the number of the test that I had on the answer sheet. As far as the verbal goes it was all reading comprehension. The Arco ASVAB book helped me with it but I'm sure the ASTB book had them in there as well. The guide on this site is good enough for the math and the mechanical. Just make sure you know about electricity (even though there was only one question), especially ohms and voltage. The hardest for me was the aviation/nautical section. This is where the online ASTB guide came up way short. DO NOT RELY ON THE GUIDE. Rules of the road came up twice on the test except they were for airplanes, if a faster airplane overtakes a slower airplane how should he pass (I put above the slower plane). Also if two airplanes meet head on which way should each of them turn (I put to the right). You need to know what each part of the airplane does not just the name of it. There were two questions that threw me a little. Which part is responsible for roll? And which part is responsible for bank? I put flap and aileron but now I'm pretty sure that its the other way around. They also asked a question about what causes _____ vortex behind the wing? I forget exactly what the name of it was but I put that drag causes it. You need to know what a keel is on a boat. Knowing the names of the parts of a boat comes in handy, there are several of those. Another aviation question was what instrument is responsible for measuring bank. I put artificial horizon. You also need to know the purpose of the rear (tail) rotor on the helicopter (to counter the main rotors torque).

Therefore your study guide should be the online guide coupled with a lot of paragraph comprehension, and supplemental information on aviation and nautical information. The number of questions on the Spatial Apperception was apparently reduced so that should not be a problem. What helped me was I studied SA so much that I could look at a picture and I knew what position the plane would be in without having to look at the answer pictures. So all I had to do was look for the picture of the plane that was in my mind. If this doesn't work for you do this, because you can't mark on the test use your fingers to cover the obviously wrong answers that way you can focus on the possible ones.

Note: the above information is only for test 1 version 3. If you get 4 or 5 thats your luck, so don't rely on what I said, just study you arse off and get as much supplemental info on aviation/nautical as you can.

Gryphon

thanks again leatherneck for your help,

as far as the mechanical section. is it mostly commonsense or is there a lot of calculations? any reading of meters? any identifying tools?

as far as the math section, is there a lot of geometry or word problems, or both?

also, were you pushing for time in both of these sections or did you finish in plenty of time.

man, it seems like after i take the test on tuesday, you and i will be the most sought after people in this forum since we are in essence the new gouge.

thanks bra!

tougs9

thanks leatherneck im taking the test on wed. any more info would be great if you think about it, also how close does the math relate and how hard is the reading on reading comp.

leatherneck82

Manassas IFS
Ok mechanical is almost all common sense. There is one meter reading question but those are easy right? No identifying of tools. Math was word problems with a few geometry. Know your basic algebra formulas. The odd thing was I didn't use too much of the scrap paper for writing things down or figuring things out. That doesn't mean that it was easy though. The math was the only thing that I was pressed for time on. I had to guess on the last question right as my Cpt. came in. All other sections I had plenty of time left. Math relates relatively well to study guide, although I suggest getting an old basic algebra book to supplement your studies with if you have the time. Obviously you two guys don't have that luxury. The word problems are somewhat hard in that they are talking about theory of relativity and business practices and using upper level vocabulary, but just don't let the complex wording of the paragraphs throw you. For practice use ASVAB or ASTB word problems from Arco and try to get it to where you only have to read the paragraph once. It can take a lot of time if you have to keep going back and re-reading the statement. Just follow my study tips and learn as much as you can about aviation/nautical before then. That should be the toughest part unless you've read all sorts of stuff since you were a kid. By the way try to remember as many questions as you can so we can help all of the other poor suckers out who have to take the new test.

Gryphon

one last question leatherneck

as i finish up my studying,

i just had one more question. is there any surprise questions that asked you or tested you in some area that you weren't expecting? also, are there any exact questions from the study guides? man, sorry to bug you like this. i'm just not a great test taker and am getting worried.

thanks for the help.

G. Stone

leatherneck82

Manassas IFS
gdstone
So sorry I couldn't get to you on your question, I was in St. Louis taking my ASBVAB and MEPs. Physical went fine and got a 93 on the ASVAB. Is that really as good as everybody was making it out to be? I do remember seeing several questions that were very similiar or exactly the same as on the online study guide but I've slept (several times) since then so I couldn't tell anybody exactly what they were. That will be up to you to ask "popular guy". On another note just study the whole guide guys, it's not that much information. No sense just studying questions that are supposed to be on the test. Expand you mind! Judging from my ASVAB my Cpt. said he wouldn't be surprised if I did well on the ASTB so I will update you on what I got.

I do have a request however. To those who are knowledgeable on the subject of aviation should look at my posts on what is in the test and make sure my answers are correct. I.E. rules of the road and the _____ vortex question etc.

tougs9

can anyone tell me what the kell of the boat is. In the right of way question when a faster airplane is passing a slower one you pass to the right not above it I think. Also leatherneck how many boat questions are on the exam. And are the math word problems more similar to the arco or are they more similar to the study guide.
Thankyou

leatherneck82

Manassas IFS
They usually grade ASTBs every Monday. And you will usually find out the Wednesday after they grade it. I'll find out the 19th of July.

tougs9

Does the beam of a ship run from starboard to port, or bow to stern and does a current run vertically or horizontally. Both of these questions were on the astb!

Status
Not open for further replies.