• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

*Caution* New tests are out and I was the guinea pig.

Status
Not open for further replies.

frogman

grading form 3

I took the Form 3 exam on 7/19, and was told yesterday that they were a little slow in getting the grading machines geared up for this new ASTB. Supposedly that issue will be addressed late this week or early next week. I have to say it's not fun waiting for those scores...

justachic

USMC OCC flight candidate
don't bother studying the ARCO book

i studied primarily from the ARCO published Military Flight Aptitude Tests book, and knew the sucker inside and out. i have a college graduating 3.9 gpa... i know how to study... and i can tell you i knew that book inside and out, because that is what my OSO told me to study. well, someone (ie, the people who made up that insane test) are smoking crack, because i failed solidly. that book did little good. for understanding the format of the test, sure. otherwise it was a complete waste of my time. My OSO talked to other OSOs in 5 districts and counting and the only TWO people who passed the new computerized test thus far were ALREADY military pilots. of the 5 districts, NO (NOT ONE) new recruit passed the test. if there's any of you out there who passed the test, particularly officers/candidates who are NOT pilots (yet), PLEASE, PLEASE direct me in the right direction as far as study guides. all i want to do is fly, and this is the VERY FIRST test i've ever failed in my life. i'm not a happy camper. HELP ME OUT!!! PLEASE!!!

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
I didnt realize the computer tests were out yet. Do you think that it's possible that there might be errors in the computer grading system? If the new paper test has several errors, then I'm guessing that the electronic version would have a few.

tougs9

Got my results yesterday Tuesday of the 27th got a 6/7/6. If anyone has anymore questions on the test feel free to ask.

wannabeamarine

tomorrow morning

hey everyone-
I just wanted to let you guys know that i am taking the test tomorrow morning, so i will try and remember as much as i possibly can about the test to help out everyone taking the test after me. i took the test just a little over a month ago and the only section that gave me any problems was that nautical/aviation section. That was on the old test and now i am taking the new test. I had some questions like what are the differences from the old to the new? For example, the test i took didn't have many real flying application questions, a few of course, but mostly dumb questions that you would only know if you had been studying this stuff for awhile. Such as space craft, carriers (U.S. and british), and some other very RANDOM questions, I am hoping that I will do better on this next time around, but who knows... Anyways any advice you can give in between now and then would really be great, otherwise I will try to update the rest of you with as much info as I can remember tomorrow afternoon. Thanks yall.

FlyingDutchman

I discovered this message board this weekend while looking up info on the astb. I just took form 3 today and I think I got 3 wrong on the avaition section (the one I worried about the most). The ones that messed me up were the characteristics of unstable air (I had turbulence, poor visibility, but I think it's turbulence, good visibility). The station name where the ship is controlled. I had "coxswain" but that's the actual person. not sure of the answer there. (correct my mistakes for any of these, please) The other I got wrong was the bulkhead is a verticle partition of a ship, and I can't remember what I put, but I knew the right answer as soon as I handed in my test. I remember a couple other questions that were on there that were tricky, so if anyone wants to hear more I can put those up.

FlyinHigh

Please Do..

FlyinDutchman:

I am taking the test on Thursday morning, I have studies a ****load and I feel that I am ready to take the test. I have been focusing most of my attention on the Aviation/Nautical section, I think I have a good idea of most of them but if you can remember any questions in that section in particular please post. Thanks.

kfmiki4262

I am applying for supply and I noticed that someone said (that was also supply) that they only have to take the math, verbal and mechanical sections of the ASTB, is this true? My recuruiter was not very clear. I am a finance major and do not have a clue about Aviation or Nautical. I have just recently deceided to look at the Navy as a carreer and am really new to how it works. Any help would be nice....and it I have to take the Aviation and Nautical what is the best study guide? I have this test in two weeks.

Archangl

ASTB on Wednesday and Some Nautical help

Hey all...
Im taking to ASTB this Wed the 11th. Here are some of nautical terms that I have been reviewing (general ones).

Keel- goes bow to aft of the boat, backbone of the ship
Hull- Outer wall
Bulkhead- Inner wall
Gunwale- upper edge of the side of a vessel
LORAN- Long Range Aid to Navigation
draft- part of the ship below water line
freeboard- part of the ship above the water line
windlass- where the anchor is or is stored
deck - the floor of a ship, can have mulitple decks
overhead- this is the nautical term for ceiling
spars- ribs of the boat, the branch off from the keel

Port- Red light - Left
Starboard- Green- Right

Remember for Port and Starboard to look at the number of letters in each word. Red has less letters than green, Left has less letters than Right. Port has less than Starboard, match accordingly.

Does anyone else have any to add that might help?

Also, I talked to my OSO and he said all the typos and errors have been fixed to his knowlege. Lets hope he is right... Wish me luck

FlyinHigh

I had all of that stuff down too. Then on the test I got thrown some curveballs, make sure you know your aircraft. I had a couple of questions dealing with types of aircraft like for example the question read something like which aircraft has the farthest range capacity, or something like that. I also got a question that asked how many Apollo missions there were in total. I also got asked which type of antisubmarine warfare was best. I had all of the **** and airplane stuff down but these were just a few that I was unprepared for. Best of luck to you. Anymore questions, fire away

Samurai

Does the posted ASTB Study guide on this website apply to the new computer based test??? I've been using that and the ARCO study guide to prepare... any tips??? Please???

FlyinHigh

Samurai, I believe you have the option to take the computer test or not, you should look into that. I also heard that taking the computer test is a disadvantage to you as you can not skip ahead to the next question without first putting an answer, so if you think you do not know it, then you have to guess. That sucks because when I took the test I skipped all the ones I thought would take time and came back to them at the end.

asise

It really tied the room together.
Don't waste any time on the math and verbal section - or any other section for that matter. The only one I had extra room on was the aviation and nautical info - that's because guessing doesn't take up any time! Everything else was down the the wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.