• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Carrier - A 10 episode PBS Series

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Code cracked!

There is only one point I have liked so far in this series... the mentioned the P3 once!! :D Only to use a place holder graphic of some empty ocean to depict the supposed P3 crews performing a ladder search... sigh...

Seriously though, I have enjoyed the series, and particularly like that they are focusing on the ppl vice the ship.

After several episodes, I realized how the director approached the subject (and why John enjoys it), the flow of the presentation is exactly like several AW threads in the way she picks a topic or topics (like multiple threads) and shows it from personal perspectives (like posts) and moves on like a threadjack. Like AW, there are "posts" of brilliance and posts of questionable value and sea stories galore.

Hmm. AW as a movie across all Naval Aviation?

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ah. Didn't realize he was still CTW6. Great guy.

Pete was the CDCO on the Stennis with me when I was Air ops. He's good people. But he always kind of reminded me of this guy...
bad-reality.jpg

I caught bits and pieces of the episode that aired last night (I'm compulsive channel changer :eek:)...and actually felt a little nostalgic watching the pitching deck blue water ops recovery.

I think the Navy having to post online policy responses to the each episode is a lot of PC overkill.

I would be curious to know if anyone's career (E or O) suffered as a result of this (I'm sure some did whether people will say it or not).

B

Blutonski816

So far, I've enjoyed the series...
LAst night, the sequence involving the crossing the line ceremonies seemed kind of tame in comparison to the stories I've heard... then again maybe there's only so much they were willing to show on camera... *shrug*

a quick sidenote, one of my buddies who was watching parts of the show with me pointed out that VFA-41's CO and XO bear uncanny resemblances to Robin Williams and Ted "Buffalo Bill" Levine respectively...

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
a quick sidenote, one of my buddies who was watching parts of the show with me pointed out that VFA-41's CO and XO bear uncanny resemblances to Robin Williams and Ted "Buffalo Bill" Levine respectively...

That's EXACTLY what I thought! Heh. Especially the XO... first thing I thought when I saw him was "Put the lotion in the fucking basket!"

gotta_fly

pilot
I would be curious to know if anyone's career (E or O) suffered as a result of this (I'm sure some did whether people will say it or not).

I wondered that too, especially during the don't ask don't tell segment. Whether this is true in practice or not, the Navy's website says it's not a problem:

"Q. For those who the production suggested were homosexual, did the ship or Navy pursue them for discharge?
A. None of the service members who commented on homosexuality during the program divulged a sexual preference to a uniformed service member that was a violation of the Title 10 law. Therefore there was no authority to pursue the issue."

Another interesting point from the website is that apparently the Navy, given the opportunity for final review, only cut 30 seconds from the entire series. That's pretty generous given the amount of footage being aired.

Rubiks06

pilot
It may have just been my interpretation of it but the QM3 they interviewed in that segment all but said "IM GAY". I thought that was kind of strange, "its more challengeing to be here because of who i am" unless there was creative editting there. I also found it interesting that most of the people they interviewed on the topic really didnt care one way or another.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
LAst night, the sequence involving the crossing the line ceremonies seemed kind of tame in comparison to the stories I've heard... then again maybe there's only so much they were willing to show on camera... *shrug*

The Navy has changed quite a bit wrt the Shellback ceremony. I crossed the line the first time in 1984 (again in 1990, 2000 and 2006) and it was much different than crossing the line in 2006. The 2006 crossing the line ceremony was much more tame than that of yesteryears. I'm certain less people get hurt due to the changes. Most of these changes are due to the Navy's stance on hazing.

-ea6bflyr ;)

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I was just about to ask if he was "the vegan" but right then and there you spelled it out. What's he up to these days?

By the way, the rumor was that his wife changed him. Any truth to that?

Last time I saw him or spoke to him was when he left 30. Not sure if the wife changed him. That would be a difficult one to day. Maybe with the birth of his kid and his wife, it made him into a steely eyed, hard charging, meat eating, hunting, oil investing, conservative :D

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
I've watched bits and pieces... mainly during commercial breaks during other shows.

I've actually seen a couple people I know: former TW6 Commodore and a former USNA Chaplain (at least I think the Chaplain is the same guy).

I'm pretty sure that the Chaplain is the same guy. I had to look twice to make sure, though.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

No, that's how it is (or at least how it was on the Kitty Hawk when I did it). Pretty pathetic when you can't even make a LCDR to crawl through a cardboard box with a smoke machine on the other side.

East

东部
Contributor
As a native from a country, which had gotten rid of it's carrier in 1968, I enjoy every minute of the series. My old man cruised aboard our carrier and all the seastories came to live for me.

flysupertomcat

Jim told me I can buy Gaydar online
What I found to be interesting was the contrasting moods in the ready rooms during the night time recoveries. From what was shown, the Marine guys were joking the pilots the whole time while the two Navy squadrons shown were nearly dead silent and tense. I don't believe in jinxes but I know I would feel pretty stupid/crappy if I said something like "he's not getting aboard" and then something goes wrong. Just feels like they were making light of a very serious situation.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
It may have just been my interpretation of it but the QM3 they interviewed in that segment all but said "IM GAY". I thought that was kind of strange, "its more challengeing to be here because of who i am" unless there was creative editting there. I also found it interesting that most of the people they interviewed on the topic really didnt care one way or another.

I don't find this surprising. I couldn't care less and I know many people who feel the same.