• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Carrier - A 10 episode PBS Series

hfrog84

Token Air Force (Viper) Guy
Well, nobody ever tells you that on the Boat. Unless you get kicked to a JTAC, all you ever hear is the CAOC, ASOC, etc. And it gets frustrating when you don't get employed. Us up in the Hummer would call up our pointy-nose guys on J-voice just to let them know what we were hearing over the SATCOM and whatnot.

I think the griping wasn't so much that they weren't dropping, but it was everybody else (read: AF) was dropping and they weren't. It's a Zoomie-run air war over there and maybe it's strictly a matter of perception, but seemed like they'd much rather have AF assets dropping than Navy.

Afghanistan was a different story. The Air Wing was much busier over there.

I was one of "the bastards" at the CAOC in back in O-5 and the Nimitz showed up towards the end of my tour (yes only 120 days!). Whether you dropped or not was strictly luck of the draw -- at least on my watch. And although no one was dropping much during that time, there was still some good americans doing good work supporting the ground forces--not necessarily traditioanal CAS, not sexy, but important non the less. And FTR, the CAOC is a joint entity, full on Army/Navy/Marine liaison contingent throughoout the building both on ops and plans side.

The fact that the CAOC tended to have fingers that were way too long and into places they didn't need to be (insert proctologist /Flight Doc jokes here) beacause every bomb was startegic blah, blah, blah..... is another debate requiring at least 2 scotches and a cigar.

Redux

I caught my first episode today, "crossing the line" anymore is a watered down joke, not worth the effort. WTF happened to one of the oldest traditions left on the earth? :confused:

a2b2c3

Mmmm Poundcake
pilot
Contributor
I caught my first episode today, "crossing the line" anymore is a watered down joke, not worth the effort. WTF happened to one of the oldest traditions left on the earth? :confused:

Someone called their daddy and complained.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I'm not even a shellback and I think that the ceremony was kinda sorry. I remember my uncle (retired as a chief this past year) telling me about his experiences with it. Methinks the Captain was mighty, mighty conscious of the camera crew being present. I also wonder about what may or may not have been happening elsewhere aboard the ship ( and especially the other ships) that we did not see.

A minor note, I'm not sure how I feel about the promoted gunnery sergeant having to move to the goat locker. I see that it is convention aboard ship, but I also understand his point of view as we put our major rank segregations at E5 to E6, and especially E3 to E4.

Decent series.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

I have some sailing buddies that talk about the ceremonies they had(and still have). In the civilian world it is still pretty crazy.

I am sure this one was especially dumbed down due to the fact that PBS had a film crew there!

Redux

I have some sailing buddies that talk about the ceremonies they had(and still have). In the civilian world it is still pretty crazy.

I am sure this one was especially dumbed down due to the fact that PBS had a film crew there!

I don't know if it's because of PBS or the new PC Navy, I suspect the later. No getting the cherry from the Royal Baby, no Royal Barber, Dentist, cargo nets ect. I'm not talking keel hauling here but WTF Over. Let's hope they got a surf and turf dinner on the roof afterwards. Maybe PBS just didn't want to waste much footage and wanted to show all 5 wiccans or something. :sleep_125 Chiefs initiations are now more like a line crossing then an actual crossing and they're even diluted anymore. :eek:

phrogpilot73

A minor note, I'm not sure how I feel about the promoted gunnery sergeant having to move to the goat locker. I see that it is convention aboard ship, but I also understand his point of view as we put our major rank segregations at E5 to E6, and especially E3 to E4.
It always will be a point of contention because E7 is the magic paygrade in the Navy, whereas E6 is the magic paygrade for the USMC. I doubt it will ever change, because I suspect they just don't have enough space for every Marine SSgt to live in the Chief's berthing area.

E3 to E4 is big for the young Navy guys as well, because they're getting their Crow. They will work very hard to make sure they keep the Crow...

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
-2...there were several enlisted maintainers in the section talking about the Marine Hornet squadron...

Just my luck, the episode after I posted they showed a whole crew of enlisted maintainers :) Its cool that they showed that though... even salsa dancing! :eek:

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
E3 to E4 is big for the young Navy guys as well, because they're getting their Crow. They will work very hard to make sure they keep the Crow...

I think the young sailor that got her crow put it best when she said: "now I have my crow and...i'm still washing windows...". :)

brownshoe

Contributor
I think the young sailor that got her crow put it best when she said: "now I have my crow and...i'm still washing windows...". :)

Depends on if you've actually earned the crow or just passed the written test.;) Trust me on this one.:)

Steve

East

东部
Contributor
Just enjoyed every single episode.
Especially the men (and women) behind the mission.
Personal stories (for instance shooter and ATCC officer) gave insight how officers take that burden of deployment for a change.

Great show.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
I just finished watching all the episodes. I think it was was very realistic. I spent 5 years between the Saratoga and JFK, mess cranked on both, blah, blah, blah. The junior enlisted perceptions were fairly accurate. But perceptions are reality for people. Like the chick that was waiting to be seen at dental for her 4 week old toothache. She was mad the O got to go in front of her. She just doesn't understand the system. Usually you have 1 doc doing physicals and 1 doing sickcall. The same thing would have happened if it was an AW getting his flight physical. She just focused on the Officer part of it. The one thing about the show I didn't like was how they bounced around in time. It would have been better if it was more of a time line show.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
Just enjoyed every single episode.
Especially the men (and women) behind the mission.
Personal stories (for instance shooter and ATCC officer) gave insight how officers take that burden of deployment for a change.

I was a 2nd class with the ATCC Officer on the JFK back in the mid 90's. I think she was even having problems back then. Glad to see that she got her kids out for the tiger cruise.

Flyboylance

New VR FTS select
pilot
I thought that it was very true to form also. It was funny. After the first few episodes, I had some of the freshman mids come up to me and say "There's no way that stuff is real". I just laughed and said wait and see. There are people all around you with stories just like that.