• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Can I fly jets!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
zab1001 said:
Propstop, hurry up and qualify as a PPC so you can tell a story not involving cooking for the crew.

(I am impressed though, none of my 3Ps ever cooked like thta for me. Because they HATED me)
Me and the IFT on my crew did the cooking. We were bold, fearless and brazen. We had a mother f*cking Fry Daddy in our chow box for God sakes - hot oil jumping around the place. Speaking of pancakes, here's a great story: We had this Sensor 2 who would puke on every single flight. Anyhow, chow that morning consisted of, among other things, pancakes. Well, this guy woofs down a couple of them, but as time passes he starts to get sick. You know how pancakes can get kind of dry and all, especially if you don't wash them down. I see him run back to the big trash can in the galley and I look back just in time to see him puking these things up. To my amazement, what emerged from the guys mouth was a long, cylindrical object the size and shape of his throat - like a big chewed up pancake stool. It was like he was extruding Play Doh, or something. Funniest thing I ever saw.

Good times,

Brett

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Brett327 said:
It was like he was extruding Play Doh, or something. Funniest thing I ever saw.

damn, that's...uh...gross. Almost as gross as doppler well ice cream, but not quite as.

I think even as a PPC i'll cook. I don't think i'll go for the fry daddy, as it is messy (but as PPC, i can direct the 3P to clean up). I want to get an electric fly pan and/or a wok. Also something to boil water in would be good, you know, make some pasta.

The crew really appreciates it when you do it, and I usually make a small profit too! :D

makana

I wake up in the morning & I piss excellence.
pilot
I just wanted to add my $.02 about this post (sans the "there I was" TRACOM story) - everyone is entitled to have their own hopes, dreams, aspirations, etc. It's when you let it dictate your life and ruin your attitude when you don't get the platform you want that it becomes a problem. Aspiring to be a jet pilot is a great motivator for many students and SNA wannabes. But when that aspiration is not realized due to your own inadequacies (grades) or needs of service, you should not take for granted that you still get to defend your country with another aircraft. So when guys are pissing and moaning about not getting jets, they should just get over it and be a man (or woman) and fulfill their commitment they signed on for... that commitment would seem a whole lot longer and a lot less fun wearing black shoes instead of brown!

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Hey OPSO, I want PropStop as my 3P!!!

PropStop said:
and I usually make a small profit too! :D
Sniff, bringing a tear to my eye.... good job!!

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
A referral post, you're KILLIN me....

MARINESNA said:
I hope you stop and read my message.
Nope, I'm hung over on CHU-HIs, and it was just on BIG block of text, that I just kinda stared at, and said to myself, "Nope, not enough brain cell power to read that"...

Seriously though, good comments (don't necessarily agree with all of them, ie Jets aren't always the first in, Helos ARE cool, and you can get burnt making pancakes during a windshear, or was that a different post?), but we got it the first time.

Outta here, saturday morning, and going in to work with the shoes, the AGONY!!! Zab, can I come to Chile TAD? A4s, you need someone to carry your pub bag and ride cargo?

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
makana said:
That commitment would seem a whole lot longer and a lot less fun wearing black shoes instead of brown!

Although I would agree with that if I had a flight slot, I am now forced to defend my current path and suggest that it could be fun and fulfilling wearing black shoes.

Although I am not one of them, I am going to have to suggest the possibility that there are those out there that do not want to be naval aviators, and furthermore that those individuals would think that serving as a naval aviator would seem "a whole lot longer and a lot less fun" (especially due to 8 year commitment).

Not trying to be "that a$$hole," but there always has to be one ba$tard on the other side of the fence. Not to take your line Brett, but,

Keepin it Real... :D

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Say it isn't so!

Godspeed said:
that it could be fun and fulfilling wearing black shoes.
:eek:

Godspeed said:
those out there that do not want to be naval aviators, and furthermore that those individuals would think that serving as a naval aviator would seem "a whole lot longer and a lot less fun" (especially due to 8 year commitment).
The hell you say! jk Seriously though, everyone has their own inclination and interests. Flying is NOT for everyone. But, I have to give one thing to SWOs, in what job field could you have so many opportunities for Command, and that time period IN COMMAND is so much longer? Aviation doesn't even come close....

The way the SWOs keeping upping the bonus ($75k now?), be interesting to see when you are going to see the lemmings start to head in that direction....

Godspeed

pilot
webmaster said:
:eek:
But, I have to give one thing to SWOs, in what job field could you have so many opportunities for Command, and that time period IN COMMAND is so much longer? Aviation doesn't even come close....

The way the SWOs keeping upping the bonus ($75k now?), be interesting to see when you are going to see the lemmings start to head in that direction....

Yeah and look at some of those nukes! Some of those bastards could buy their own damn plane after their four years! Im not going to get too carried away though. We know naval aviation is the bomb diggedy. Suggesting otherwise on this site would be commiting reputation point suicide.

Reactions: bch

makana

I wake up in the morning & I piss excellence.
pilot
Godspeed said:
Although I would agree with that if I had a flight slot, I am now forced to defend my current path and suggest that it could be fun and fulfilling wearing black shoes.

Although I am not one of them, I am going to have to suggest the possibility that there are those out there that do not want to be naval aviators, and furthermore that those individuals would think that serving as a naval aviator would seem "a whole lot longer and a lot less fun" (especially due to 8 year commitment).

Not trying to be "that a$$hole," but there always has to be one ba$tard on the other side of the fence. Not to take your line Brett, but,

Keepin it Real... :D

It is certainly possible that some officers didn't want to be pilots, but based on your major, your avatar, and your user name, I'm guessing you weren't one of them. Hey, you are entitled to defend your newfound career path and I applaud you for it. But having done several years of sea duty as prior enlisted, I can speak from experience that I would rather be obligated to flying naval aircraft for 8 years than driving naval vessels for 5 years.

What I said in my first post can also apply to non-aviators, too: "...when that aspiration is not realized... you should not take for granted that you still get to defend your country with another aircraft [or providing supplies for them]. So when guys are pissing and moaning about not getting jets [or aviation altogether], they should just get over it and be a man (or woman) and fulfill their commitment they signed on for"

Godspeed

pilot
Amen Makana. Although I didn't get what I wanted, I am still proud and happy to serve. However, I intend to take every opportunity provided, through the form of redesignation (both during college, OCS, and directly afterwards), as well as after my four year commitment, to apply for aviation. I'm not done yet!

Although we all have our goals, I think most of us are content and happy with where life takes us, especially those that are motivated enough to become naval officers. Those that wanted jets, end up loving P-3s, those that wanted aviation, end up digging nuke, swo, or supply. Hell, even if they end up not being content, at least they have demonstrated that they are capable of following their aspirations. For example, if I don't like supply and never get a flight slot, I am motivated enough to find an pursue a career that I do like. I think that is what is important.

As they say, success isn't measured by ones ability to avoid failure, it is measured by their ability to overcome it. But as I look at my high school classmates back in Washington State, 3000 miles away, seeing them in the drive through window at wendys, bagging groceries at Fred Meyer, or watering plants in the Walmart gardening section, I am pretty damn happy with my BDCP Supply slot. :D

I think any chance to become a naval officer beats even the best scholarships out there.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
PropStop said:
. I want to get an electric fly pan and/or a wok. Also something to boil water in would be good, you know, make some pasta.
Oh, yeah. You gotta have one of those. We had an electric fry pan and a griddle (for the aforementioned pancakes). The fry daddy doubles as something to boil water in, so you can make spaghetti and stuff. Ahh what fond memories that brings up. Never heard of DW icecream though. What is that, like scraping the frost off stuff down there?

Good times,

Brett

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
hey look, you might fly jets, you might not, get over it

Brett327 said:
Oh, yeah. You gotta have one of those. We had an electric fry pan and a griddle (for the aforementioned pancakes). The fry daddy doubles as something to boil water in, so you can make spaghetti and stuff. Ahh what fond memories that brings up. Never heard of DW icecream though. What is that, like scraping the frost off stuff down there?
Good times,
Brett

(pre-post aside: George Foreman Grill is the best thing to ever happen to Combat Aircrews)

DW Icecream:

You theoretically can put a garbage bag with cream, sugar, and flavoring (strawberries, chocolate, parsnips, whatever) in the Doppler Well on a high alt transit and supposedly after 4-5 hours the vibration and cold will mix and freeze it into ice cream. Throwback to WWII. Never seen it done in reality. NOTE: This will not work in many of the balls-hot climates P-3s enjoy, since the OAT skyrockets as you descend. Most of those places have other things to enjoy, better than half-a$s ice cream...

And now, because I have a feeling Brett will enjoy it, a blast from the past, a zab "Tale of the Sea", from a post I wrote about a year ago:

As long as we're telling stories.....

So I eat a HUGE breakfast prior to an 11 hour mission. Well, hour 5 rolls around and I realize I'm not gonna make it. So I line the ol' non flushable P-3 toilet with our typical CRYSTAL CLEAR trash bags (triple bag thank you). I do my thing, clean up, tie 'er off, spray some Lysol, good to go. Let me specify, this was the kind that cannot be classified as a solid OR a liquid. Throw that bad boy in the Doppler Well (cavity in the belly accessible from the cabin, but not heated, so the 'matter' would be supercooled if not frozen).

So, in typical P-3 fashion,we land, I take my sh*t with me, so my enlisted guys won't have to deal with it.

As I pull it out of the Doppler Well, my AW2 acoustic operator looks at me all excited.

(Dead Serious): "Kick Ass! The Lieutanant made Doppler Ice Cream!!! Sir! Sir! What flavor??? Can I have some???"

I look at him, say "Rocky Road Champ, it's all yours..."

(No I didn't let him take it or open it, but boy i wanted to)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
LOL

anim_lol.gif

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Doppler Ice Cream

What a delightful story. While we're on topic, we had just taken off on the second leg after just having dropped off some PAX. Well, our gruff old FE comes back to use the head only to discover that one of the PAX had left us with a big steamy surprise. This thing was really starting to stink up the plane, so the FE goes forward and I realize that he's dumping the cabin pressure. We ended up sending the thing out the free fall chute. I can only imagine what someone on the ground could have thought upon seeing a garbage bag filled with sh!t flying through the air.

Good times,

Brett

Status
Not open for further replies.