• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Can I fly jets!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
UInavy said:
I don't think anybody is trying to start a "mine is bigger than yours" competition here. Besides, TraCom stories are a big part of this place. Its all good natured jokes, don't let it get to you.

funny thing about the P-3 compared to most navy planes...mine IS bigger than yours :D

but, in case anybody is wondering, this is just my sarcastic sense of humor showing through here. I mean, come on, like we'd really eat a doughnut while flying!

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Where's my boxed lunch?!?!?

PropStop said:
I mean, come on, like we'd really eat a doughnut while flying!
You're so right, usually its just the chips and salsa on the fuel control panel with the FE asleep, and the MP3 player blaring over on the radar cabinet.

Brett327 said:
Flying IMC is not the same as flying wing IMC.
You're right, but what about flying IMC with the nugget 3P at the controls, hoping he doesn't go to sleep on you :sleep_125 , or can hold altitude and doesn't get vertigo :boggled_1 .... Plus, we don't have all the neat gizmos for flying low over the water at night beneath a 100% cloud layer at 900', no night vision, ICS panel lights that won't DIM so you have to throw your gloves over them, an autopilot that you don't trust to do an abrupt nose over on you, and a DDG out there "somewhere" darkened ship, encroaching on your buoy pattern ("FLIGHT, SS3, turn right now!" zoom down the side.....hmm, good thing they cleared me to close the ship).

But I guess the per diem makes up for all the 1970s equipment! :D

PropStop

pilot
Contributor
webmaster said:
But I guess the per diem makes up for all the 1970s equipment! :D

the per diem and the women!

man, i have been on watch WAAAAAY too long.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
PropStop said:
funny thing about the P-3 compared to most ...mine IS bigger than yours :D
but, I mean, come on, like we'd really eat a doughnut while flying!

400er_k62081.jpg
I dunno ... MINE is bigger, MINE !!
doughnut.jpg

And doughnuts? You guys today don't know anything about doughnuts. We ate ours before launching -- much fresher and all. I had a B/N who would NOT GO without a cup of coffee, a cigarette, and a chocolate-covered doughnut. Period. No way .... He would not man up until the doughnuts arrived ... at least his priorities were always straight (or round?) .

115_steveprosser_4.jpg

(sorry about the big pix -- but it's worth it)

FlyingFortress

Flying turd
Difficult flying? I bet none of you guy's have EVER flown over the Indian ocean while inverted on the topside of a Mig-28!!! Now that's some killer skillz!!!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
PropStop said:
funny thing about the P-3 compared to most navy planes...mine IS bigger than yours :D
Now THAT is funny!

Good times,

Brett

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
shoo24 said:
Oh SNAP!!

I like your in-flight reading there, A4s...
Ohh, those were the days. We had an Intel O who would slip cutouts of Playboy chicks into our smart packs and briefing materials...that is until we were invaded by the split-tails. :(

Brett

PropStop

pilot
Contributor
Patmack18 said:
As long as we're telling 'there I was stories...."

okay, story time.

So there we were, out over the PAC at 1500', wind shear like you'd never believe +/- 500' and +/- 40kts of airspeed constantly. We were shaking like a cat s*tting on a sheet of ice. It was bad, it was awful. But, being the 3P on the crew and having planned a magnificent meal of blueberry pancakes, fruit and whipped cream topping, breakfast sausage, and fresh french roast coffee, i was not deterred. I HAD A MISSION!

Now, the galley in the P-3 is in the back, right under our HUGE vert stab. If you even look at the rudders you throw people around back there. In these conditions we were bouncing around like teenagers on crack. Never the less, I push forward, summoned all my courage and intestinal fortitude (i occasionally get airsick unless i'm in the flight station) and I cooked. It was epic. I should gotten a medal! The griddle was 400 degrees of pure hell. The 1950's convection oven howled like a wolf in heat. The coffee maker was spilling liquid hot...liquid...everywhere. I was burned, scalded, but I never quit! I served that meal!

Now, since most of the crew was puking their guts out, nobody ate, so it was all pretty pointless really. I'll take an approach to mins in a hurricane any day over that again!

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Propstop, hurry up and qualify as a PPC so you can tell a story not involving cooking for the crew.

(I am impressed though, none of my 3Ps ever cooked like thta for me. Because they HATED me)

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
you'll make someone a great wife
I thought my community treated our young poorly you guys have us beat cooking???!?!?!?!?!?

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Brett327 said:
Ohh, those were the days. We had an Intel O who would slip cutouts of Playboy chicks into our smart packs and briefing materials...that is until we were invaded by the split-tails. :(

Brett

Should have stayed away from expeditionary. 138 = All balls.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
PropStop said:
okay, story time.

So there we were, out over the PAC at 1500', wind shear like you'd never believe +/- 500' and +/- 40kts of airspeed constantly. We were shaking like a cat s*tting on a sheet of ice. It was bad, it was awful. But, being the 3P on the crew and having planned a magnificent meal of blueberry pancakes, fruit and whipped cream topping, breakfast sausage, and fresh french roast coffee, i was not deterred. I HAD A MISSION!

Now, the galley in the P-3 is in the back, right under our HUGE vert stab. If you even look at the rudders you throw people around back there. In these conditions we were bouncing around like teenagers on crack. Never the less, I push forward, summoned all my courage and intestinal fortitude (i occasionally get airsick unless i'm in the flight station) and I cooked. It was epic. I should gotten a medal! The griddle was 400 degrees of pure hell. The 1950's convection oven howled like a wolf in heat. The coffee maker was spilling liquid hot...liquid...everywhere. I was burned, scalded, but I never quit! I served that meal!

Damn, thats the sh*t heroes are made of. Seriously. Just hearing you tell it reminds me of the movie memphis belle.... Except I picture some guy making sandwiches in the middle of a flack storm over Germany. Good times.

MARINESNA

Yes You Can Fly Jets

I would like to take an oppurtunity to respond to your observations and comments.
First, I would like to start by saying, yes we should all be lucky to be given the oppurtunity to fly. Coming from the fleet it is very competitive to transition to become a SNA. As new junior officers you should feel lucky to be where you are and enjoy what you do for a job.
2) As far as the airlines jobs I know quite a few reservists here in Meridian that are airline pilots and several who are applying to become pilots. I assure you that they did not have intentions of using the military to get them to the airlines. If flying for the airlines was that great they would not continue to come back to Meridian to fly as instructors. All I hear is how they love both jobs, but training SNA's is much more rewarding.
3)As for bringing up the notion of Top Gun, if that is what you need to drive you as a student to give your all to the program than continue to do so. I believe that having dreams is what drives us all. So don't let anyone tell you to stop dreaming about TOP GUN or MATWS-1.
4)I hate to hear an instrutor tell students to learn about the order of battle. Knowing that wether you fly a jet, helo, or maritime we are all just another support MOS for that lance-corporal and pfc on the ground. To set the record straight one platform cannot do its job without the other. I hate to hear about having to learn the order of battle. You may want to look at that order yourself. No disrespect on that comment, but no offensive ever goes without an air campaign, lead by yes JETS!!!! That comment is coming from experience.
5)I will skip this comment because I do agree, ERAU does not teach how to become a NA.
6)I think it is pretty arogant to say that a helo is the only pure stick and rudder. I would have to say the old guys in the sim building here in Meridian would highly disagree. As for being more challenging, I think the challenges are completely different.
7)The tone of this comment is correct. But what I will say is that our brothers on the ground say the only thing a pilot leads is himself. I will say that respect is earned and not ever just given. As for you junior officers who read this rebuttal, Always have a good attitude and never, never, never say that your job is more important than another. ONE TEAM ONE FIGHT ONE VICTORY (even our Air Force brothers)
To conclude remember that our brothers on the ground always have it worse than we do. Wether you are dropping bombs from an F18 or harrier, shooting TOW's and Rockets from either Snakes or Hueys, or putting troops in zone from frogs or ****ters we are all working towards the same cause.
For all SNA's never stop dreaming and asking about what it takes to be a JET PILOT if that is your dream. Never let anyone tell you it cannot be acheived or attained. However, Like mentioned being a helo pilots is rewarding, Coming from the guy on the ground there is nothing like the sound of an inbound Jet or Helo to save my ass!!!!!!! :icon_rage

Attachments

• f18fast.jpg
    f18fast.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 122
Status
Not open for further replies.