• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Can I fly jets!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
virtu050 said:
no mention of P-3's in this thread? where's the love?

Get used to it, when was the last time you heard someone drone on and on about how much they want to fly Orions...I'd be pretty suspicious as to his motives...we aren't even bastard children of bastard children...we're more like the Navy's foster kids...fat, ugly, sickly foster kids...hey that'd be a good patch...

No argument whether it's old school flying though, especially when fly-by-wire for us equals control cables through a crap hydraulic system and the most ridiculously huge elevator trim wheel ever (seriously, that thing could double as a nosewheel rim). I would argue pushing 45-70 tons of Lockheed's state of the art (circa 1964) around qualifies as stick and rudder (esp. 2 engines out). I'll stop blowing myself now to say I'd wager a helo is harder to master, that sh!t looks tough.

Excellent post dustydog. Has this been building up, or did some foolish SNA cross you and finally bring it to a head?

saltpeter

I'll give your shout out to the P-3 community. You bastards caused the closing of my community (ES-3) and sent me to pergatory (WHACKAMO in OKLAHOMA).

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
This is a great thread. There is nothing wrong with "wanting" I wanted my wings and to fly Cobras more than anything but I didnt act like I was entitled to anything, if an istructor asked I told him what I wanted, pissed my primary onwing off since he wanted to produce jet guys but oh well. I was however prepared for "the needs of the Corps" but want provided a great motivation. As I studied on a saturday night I would tell myself "Self, if you go out tonight somewhere someone else is staying in and working to take your spot" it worked most times.

Desire is a good and powerful thing but knowing your place is even more important, this is a heirarchical (sp?) thing and just gettingther is an accomplishment but not a laurel to be rested on, the sooner everyone realizes this the better off they will be. Great thread DD.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
freshy said:
Hey man, it's just a preference you know? Some people like driving sports cars, others like driving big trucks with mud flaps. You can't hold it against people for having a preference.

Just for the record...I won't be the one *****ing when I get a cobra slot...hee hee.

To add to what E5 posted... That is also the typical "Have not yet been to flight school yet attitude." Do yourself a favor, don't be one of those guys who shows up to API saying, "I'm gonna be a ______ driver."

brd2881

Bon Scott Lives
pilot
If it's meant to be, it's meant to be. And by the way, those of us down here in K'rock are flying A's and they have nothin but steam gauges and iron sights, I don't pretend to know sh!t yet 'cause I am pretty green, but I bet that the senior guys here would argue that they do alot of "seat of the pants", stick and rudder flying. My .02

freshy

Genius by birth. Slacker by choice.
pilot
E5B said:
That's exactly the attitude DustyDog is talking about.

The "If I don't get jets, I'll settle for Cobras" attitude......

Hey Fleshy, what happens if you select the Osprey? DOR? That thing is a death trap, remember?

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8697&highlight=osprey

Gimme a break

I don't know where I wrote "if I don't get jets....blah blah blah" Hey man don't try and label me.

I think it's kinda GOOD to have my "haven't been to flight school yet attitude" I mean someone tell me where it says you have to ditch all aspirations for the future upon arrival to API? I think it's good that people have hopes for what they fly. What I DO NOT agree with...is if SNA's aren't ready to shift their hopes and dreams upon finding out what pipeline they get. What's wrong with living in a little dream world for a while until you find out otherwise?

Oh yeah....and excuse me for having an opinion about the goddam Osprey...That thing still scares the hell out of me.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If someone is in API/Primary and tells me they "don't care" what they fly and would fly "anything", they're either a liar, or are trying not to step on any toes. If you want to fly helos, say you want helos. If you want to fly jets, say you want jets. Most of the IPs I flew with couldn't stand students who "didn't know" what they wanted to fly. I know there are some people who are genuinely confused about what they want to fly, I'm not talking about them.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Everyone cares what they get... there's nothing wrong with having a desire to fly a certain airframe. But don't let it rule your attitude in primary. I always said that I really wanted jets and if I didn't get 'em, I'd go home, get drunk, and wakeup the next morning and say I'd be the best helo pilot in the Marine Corps (bloom where you're planted and all that). On the other hand, we had people in our primary VT who thought they were OWED a certain airframe, that if they didn't get it, they would make a big stink about it. People like that weren't the most popular studs among students and IPs. bch knows who i'm talking about.

While students care what they get, they also are usually fairly ignorant about the various communities. I know in my primary squadron, we could only really hear about the helo side of the house, and it was pretty limited there too (skid guys were too senior to be up on the fleet really). There were no jet guys or C-130 guys to tell us anything about their communities. In my opinion this was the biggest let down in primary. It's hard to make an informed decision when you haven't been exposed to your choices much at all. So while it's fine to say you want to fly a certain aircraft, don't knock the others unless you're up on what they do.

/rambling

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
squeeze said:
On the other hand, we had people in our primary VT who thought they were OWED a certain airframe, that if they didn't get it, they would make a big stink about it.

Ever notice those guys tend to be poor sticks and don't get what they want? Always seems that way to me.

I found in Primary, if you wanted to know anything about E-2/C-2 or Strike, you had to look elsewhere.

freshy

Genius by birth. Slacker by choice.
pilot
I'll go take my place next to the mashed potatoes now.

Semper Fi

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
i remember the week of selection (after i already submitted my choices) we had a brief on C-130's and jets. The Jet people didn't really impress me.. all they said was like "blah blah blah pointy end of the spear blah blah" but the c-130 people had cool videos and actually talked a lot about their community.. I actually wanted to go back and make the switch if i could.. but at the time it was limited to marines and coast guard. the reserve option was not an option. but p-3's go through the same advanced training as c-130's so it was cool. half my class was air force c-130 pilots and they were some pretty cool katz.

Status
Not open for further replies.