• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Can I fly jets!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
dustydog said:
6) Flying a helicopter is the only pure stick and rudder flying that you will do in the military.

I've got two aircraft for you. They're navy even. The **** can I fly, the C-2A and the E-2C Hawkeye. As stick (well...yoke) and rudder as you can get. Just though I would mention it......I'm bored.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
I always thought I was owed the P-3 by the navy. I was born to it. I was entitled to it! I DESERVED IT DAMNIT!

It was my dream since i was 9 to fly something with a rack, a kitchen, and laser beams. I got 2 outta 3, that ain't bad.

A4's, you wana talk about true stick and rudder flying by the seat of your pants?! Try this: You're at 300', doing 180 kts, your PPC is flying, you've got a plate of breakfast sausage and pancakes in one hand, your other hand on the AP disconnect button on the yoke, and a coke between your legs. You've only got a few minutes before your food gets cold and you coke gets warm - WHAT DO YOU DO?! That's difficult flying. You mean to tell me an A-4 is more difficult than that? What navy were YOU in?!

Reactions: bch

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
PropStop said:
.... WHAT DO YOU DO?! That's difficult flying. You mean to tell me an A-4 is more difficult than that? What navy were YOU in?!

You win :icon_wink . The only time mine was "difficult" was @ 3/4 of a mile, "call the ball", totally BLACK, no horizon, the ship can't make enough wind, we're low fuel state, no "needles", there are lightning storms all around, I have vertigo, I've got to take a leak, and my B/N is screaming ... "We're GONNA' DIE!!".
T_A6_Carrier.jpg

I defer to your degree of difficulty :) ... my Navy @ 50' > 450 KIAS (no need for an altimeter -- "you can feel" it) -- was FUN !!!
... but "difficult"... Naaaaa ...
:)
LOWLEVEL1.gif

updatba.gif
ROGER BALL!!

PropStop

pilot
Contributor
A4sForever said:
You win :icon_wink . The only time mine was "difficult" was @ 3/4 of a mile, "call the ball", totally BLACK, no horizon, the ship can't make enough wind, we're low fuel state, no "needles", there are lightning storms all around, I have vertigo, I've got to take a leak, and my B/N is screaming ..."We're GONNA' DIE!!".

yeah, jet guys don't know what difficult flying is, not at all.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
ouch, ok ok... real fixed wing guys... not the guys who can't figure out if they want to be helo bubbas or jet pilot LOL jk

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
bch said:
still waiting for you fixed wingers to fly backwards.....

I can't even walk backwards, but fly?? I've done it --- kinda -- or was it "falling backwards" from a zero-airspeed, nose-high "zoom" climb in a dogfight? In any case, I just sat there and waited for the nose to fall through (with a minor "burp" from a compressor stall) -- helped by a light "tap" on a rudder -- and I was back flying and wreaking devastation on the hapless F-4s I was fighting/training.

a4_skyhawk_insig.jpg
Does this qualify ... ??? WHICH WAY IS UP, ANYWAY ???
A4.jpg

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
PropStop said:
yeah, jet guys don't know what difficult flying is, not at all.

when you have to come down through ~4k' of solid goo at night on the wing and dirty up in the sh-t, come talk to me :)

/hardest. approach. ever.

PropStop

pilot
Contributor
squeeze said:
when you have to come down through ~4k' of solid goo at night on the wing and dirty up in the sh-t, come talk to me :)

/hardest. approach. ever.

like a P-3er doesn't fly through the goo. Seems like all we do is IMC flying. It isn't hard. Now do that with a doughnut in one hand and hot coffee between your legs - oh, SNAP! now we're talking REAL flying!

dustydog

pilot
Try flying all the way to the ground in low-light, brown out conditions, nevering seeing the earth until you hit it. That is challenging flying. Training command "There I was..." stories just don't cut it.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
PropStop said:
like a P-3er doesn't fly through the goo. Seems like all we do is IMC flying. It isn't hard. Now do that with a doughnut in one hand and hot coffee between your legs - oh, SNAP! now we're talking REAL flying!
Flying IMC is not the same as flying wing IMC.

Brett

Status
Not open for further replies.