• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Camouflaged Aircraft and related topics

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ATAC KFIR at Fallon yesterday

KFIRsusnet.jpg

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Camouflage Navy style at Fallon cont'd

Even the VFC-13 Saints support vehicles sport interesting paint schemes

Saintmobile.jpg

Saints in action

Saintgo.jpg

Another Saint paint scheme

Red5.jpg

Yet another

Nuts.jpg

Saint line

Saintsinblue.jpg

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Any idea how long the Saints plan to keep flying the F-5, HJ? Fantastic pics. Even the "naked" P-3!

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Any idea how long the Saints plan to keep flying the F-5, HJ? Fantastic pics. Even the "naked" P-3!

As long as possible. They just snapped up a bunch of former Swiss aircraft that are in immaculate condition so they can keep operating the F-5 indefinitely.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
A bigger question on the role of adversaries, and something of (another) threadjack--why the F-5? As I understand it, the F-5 was originally used as an adversary because its characteristics are reminiscent of MiG-21s and below. At least to my semi-trained way of thinking, it's not really duplicating the performance of the higher-end potential adversary aircraft today. With as many FSU aircraft as are available on the official and unofficial markets today, why use a stand-in? Money?

For that matter, can't a newer, higher-performance aircraft duplicate many of the characteristics of an older one merely by restricting the performance, i.e. holding back from its limits? Why use an older aircraft like the F-5?

That may sound like a retarded newbie-type question, but I really am interested.

montellv

Professional Badguy
pilot
Money tends to be a large factor when you consider the operational cost of an F-5 compared to a Hornet. There are also moves afoot to improve the capability of the Tiger to better simulate a 3rd Gen (+) fighter. One last point is that although we train to worst case scenarios, the MiG-21 is still the percentage threat in the world.
With that said, I'd love to see the Navy buy some Fulcrum/Flanker for me to abuse the fleet with.

B

Blutonski816

^Since you brought it up, I 'll just ask. What's the average maintenace manhours per flight hour for the F-5?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Jackass said:
The f5 is such an great looking plane. sheesh.

Indeed, but it's not the only sexy looking machine on the Fallon flightline

TOPGUNs-1-1.jpg

Dingobat

Guess she don't like the Cornbread either...
So do the Russkies have a evil, alternate-reality twin to Topgun with adversary aircraft painted in Navy and AF schemes?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No...but the Chinese do. The PLAAF has a collection of aggressor squadrons that emulate US and Taiwanese tactics.

Interestingly enough, the refer to it as the "Blue" Force.

montellv

Professional Badguy
pilot
^Since you brought it up, I 'll just ask. What's the average maintenace manhours per flight hour for the F-5?
Not a sikorsky maintainer, but I can say with certainty it is more than a Cessna and less than a Tomcat:D

Bravo to Sikorsky Maintenance for the Golden Wrench

Attachments

• sikorskyf-5.jpg
    sikorskyf-5.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 97

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Jackass said:
HJ you have the best pictures ever! Do you have a favorite? If so I wanna see it! I hope you don't mind if I use a pic for a desktop image.

Curious though, why is that viper a D model? Any particular reason (nsawc training?) or did the navy just take what they could get?

Feel free to use you you like for desktop. One reason I post them is to help motivate those who aspire to take to the air.

The current TOPGUN Vipers are F-16A/B models bought by Pakistan and then held in embargo status for years. Two seaters were part of that deal.

DesertViper.jpg

Another TOPGUN Viper returning on same day. Having a backseat available helps in IUT and to allow aviators from visiting Air Wing see things from the Bogey Driver's perspective.