• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Camouflaged Aircraft and related topics

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
corazzatalittorio.jpg

This kind of camo might not be effective but dammit, it looks cool

Once ships went to all BVR engagements, it didn't serve much purpose.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The "dazzle" camouflage for ships in the Battle of the Atlantic worked pretty well. The purpose wasn't to hide the ships, but to screw with sub periscopes and surface ship gun rangefinders by making it impossible to estimate course/speed. Better radar and sonar eventually made it obsolete, but it served its purpose.
800px-HMS_Belfast_1_db.jpg

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HMS Belfast is pretty sweet. I was in London last year around this time and I visited it and I would recommend anyone to do the same. Of any historic ship I've visited, this is the best one I've seen as you could visit so many of the ship's spaces.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...this is the best one I've seen as you could visit so many of the ship's spaces.

Oh boy, make sure you tell 'em you'd like to visit as many spaces as you can when you get to the boat...after one Air Wing tagalong on a 3M inspection, I checked that block. But whatever floats your boat..the boat will eagerly satisfy your curiosity.

Mod note: some questions get moved to Stupid Question thread to protect the OP and some are moved there because they are, well...just stupid. In this case, the question was asked in the Stupid Question Thread, but proved to be a really good question with stimulating answers and iamges so it is being "promoted" out of the Stupid Question thread.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
From a walk-about on Fallon Flightline last Thursday

TigerTails.jpg

What's the deal with the "BUNO" on the one F-5 there? It almost looks like an AF number, but even that isn't right. Or did the Navy buy 600,000 more aircraft and no one said anything?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
BlueViper.jpg

Here's another one for you then. I'll upload some more just for you when I get a chance.