• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Camouflaged Aircraft and related topics

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Given the differences in tail fins (note the little flat surface at the top), I wonder if that is indeed a T-38 . . .

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Given the differences in tail fins (note the little flat surface at the top), I wonder if that is indeed a T-38 . . .

It is.
t-38-19990517t38turn.jpg

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What's the deal with the "BUNO" on the one F-5 there? It almost looks like an AF number, but even that isn't right. Or did the Navy buy 600,000 more aircraft and no one said anything?

Aircraft bought on Air Force contracts often retain their Air Force serial numbers that begin with the Fiscal Year they were bought. Most of these are ex-Swiss aircraft.

Another VFC-13 F-5E with Air Force style BUNO

June081290-1.jpg

BUNO (USAF style) on NSAWC F-16B aircraft

June081222.jpg

HJ Photo

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Navy does not operate any T-38s as Adversaries although Test pilot School has a handful of Orange and White ones. However, in the early days of TOPGUN, the CO went scavaging and found some early A model T-38s that the Air Force didn't want and impressed them into service alongside their A-4E Skyhawks. When the first F-5E/F-5F aircraft showed up later, a few T-38s were given to VF-43, but they were retired before the arrival of the F-16Ns.

Since the T-38 and F-5 were both Northrop products developed from same common fuselage, wings, engines, etc. but F-5E and F model as well as short-lived G have distinctively different noses with radar and gun(s). The F-5 series even evolved the nose even further to the current mako shark looking configuration.

F-5F and F-5E on VFC-13 flightline. Note similar nose congifurations and compare to T-38 which is rounder from frontal view and more curved on bottom when viewed from the side.

Frontal view. (Note: Small side blisters identify former Swiss aircraft)

June081198.jpg

Vipers9.jpg

HJ photo

B

Blutonski816

Since the T-38 and F-5 were both Northrop products developed from same common fuselage, wings, engines, etc. but F-5E and F model as well as short-lived G have distinctively different noses with radar and gun(s).

I scratched my head for a minute when you said "G" and I had to wiki it to know you were talking about the F-20

montellv

Professional Badguy
pilot
What's the deal with the "BUNO" on the one F-5 there? It almost looks like an AF number, but even that isn't right. Or did the Navy buy 600,000 more aircraft and no one said anything?

Don't worry, that Aircraft (side 31) is no longer in the inventory:(

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Aircraft bought on Air Force contracts often retain their Air Force serial numbers that begin with the Fiscal Year they were bought. Most of these are ex-Swiss aircraft.

I knew about the year precedent, but I was under the impression that AF BUNOs were only 5 digits long (like the pic of the T-38), which is what was confusing me. That's interesting that it keeps the number despite a complete change of ownership.

Yankee Uniform Tango
BlueViper.jpg

Here's another one for you then. I'll upload some more just for you when I get a chance.

I wasn't aware that Marines fly F-16s in the Adversary Squadrons. "Bogeys and Bandits" mentioned that they typically only fly F-5s (then again the book was written over 10 years ago). Cool.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wasn't aware that Marines fly F-16s in the Adversary Squadrons. "Bogeys and Bandits" mentioned that they typically only fly F-5s (then again the book was written over 10 years ago). Cool.
Judging by the tail, that is an NSAWC jet. Many joint Navy/USMC commands will have either some of their aircraft marked "NAVY" and some "MARINES," or have one on one side of the fuselage and the other on the opposite side.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've always wanted to take a Spit up . . . but PINK? Maybe I need to adjust my monitor. Though granted, this is the same service that, instead of "NO STEP" would put "Not to be walked upon . . ." :icon_tong

B

Blutonski816

I'm surprised the Air Force hasn't adopted this paint scheme.

I have heard about the use of pink as a suitable camo scheme in desert enviroments. Someone told me of a Pink Hummer operated by the Brits in the sandbox.