• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CAL FIRE

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I can’t speak for rob, but:

California Democrats think cattle and meat-eating are responsible for climate change, and that climate change is responsible for the wildfires in California. The Democrat Gov of CA created rules that hamper cattle ranchers and place blame on cows for climate change: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/california-climate-change-rules-on-cows-landfill-emissions/

Whereas, in reality, most scientific studies show that grassfed ruminant holistic grazing activity actually regenerates the soil, prevents wildfires, sequesters carbon into the soil, and enables the soil to retain more water (reducing the threat of fires):
https://ucanr.edu/?blogpost=29203&blogasset=102388
https://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postdetail.cfm?postnum=43618
None of this addresses my question, which was posed to Rob.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

My brother, sister and mom currently live in Sacramento, we have family in South Lake Tahoe and the Bay Area. I'll post specific ordinances that have prevented common-sense land clearing soon . . . .
Based on this linked material, the impediments seem to be environmentalist lobby groups like Sierra Club, not law or policy per se. definitely interested in applicable ordinances you’ve seen.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
None of this addresses my question, which was posed to Rob.
image.jpg

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Back to the helicopter side, CALFIRE is hiring and the requirements are substantial.

Experience: Applicants must have logged at least 2,000 hours of pilot-in-command flying helicopters, which must include the following:
  1. At least 500 hours of mountain pilot-in-command helicopter flight time, routinely making landings in mountainous terrain above 4,000 feet MSL.
  2. At least 500 hours of turbine helicopter time as pilot-in- command.
  3. Two hundred and fifty hours as pilot-in-command of helicopters performing low level missions in fire control, map survey, powerline patrol, search and rescue, and spray or seeding operations over mountain or forested or comparable military operations.
  4. At least 100 hours as pilot-in-command in helicopters carrying sling loads.
  5. At least 50 hours as pilot-in-command in helicopters in the past year.
Probably easier to get hired at Delta!

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Probably easier to get hired at Delta!
To this random jet guy, that honestly reads like "West Coast Guard helo bubbas with deployment experience in Afghanistan, no others need apply."

That said, on civvie street, there are times where they no-kidding need a given "purple squirrel" skillset for valid reasons, and times where the hiring manager is just being a douche and too lazy to train motivated talent. I've beaten my head against a wall trying to get veteran bootcampers their foot in the door as software developers, only to deal with hiring managers who think they can demand the same qualifications for entry-level hires as a FAANG when we're . . . umm, not a FAANG.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
There's this law/regulation, from link Rob posted above.

"In California, those rules are enforced by CARB, the state’s mighty air resources board, and its local affiliates. “I’ve talked to many prescribed fire managers, particularly in the Sierra Nevada over the years, who’ve told me, ‘Yeah, we’ve spent thousands and thousands of dollars to get all geared up to do a prescribed burn,’ and then they get shut down.” Maybe there’s too much smog that day from agricultural emissions in the Central Valley, or even too many locals complain that they don’t like smoke. Reforms after the epic 2017 and 2018 fire seasons led to some loosening of the CARB/prescribed fire rules, but we still have a long way to go. "

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Shouldn't they update the R in CARB to stand for "red skies?"