• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Breakdown of "The Drama"

jmcquate

Contributor
Back to Big Blue. There was an article in the post yesterday about an F-15E squadron at SJ that has been shut down. The only hours they get are with other squadrons keeping a few crews qualed to fly.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Bullshit.

Trips to Fallon don't count as airwing functions and neither does the once a year Hornet Ball. The Oceana O club is nothing like it used to be, and not the 20 year ago used to be. Be careful around those females. That shit won't fly in Brett's Navy. VFR over the water, in a W area, doesn't count. Key West all the time? Doubtful. Once every 6 months is not all the time. Shitting on hinges is fine, but the ballsacks? That sounds gay. New Navy and all. Enjoy.

Naval Aviation is not dead, but it is in a strong atrophy. And if the PC 100% of the time for 100% of the people crew keep sliming their way into leadership positions, then it will implode. We might was well be the Air Force.

Sometimes it all depends on your point of view. Sounds like yours sucks...just saying.

birdshitmanagement.jpg

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I've flown every single day (not including the intervening weekend) for the last couple weeks. At the theoretical halfway point of my JO tour now, I would say this has been the norm overall. My average week, sequestration or not, is maybe one non-flying day, but most likely every day and sometimes double here and there.........which probably averages to every work day over time. Have not noticed the slightest difference since sequestration started.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
To the part of this conversation that pertains to flying.... Has anyone actually seen a dramatic decrease in monthly flight hours since sequestration kicked in?

I spent a few "free" weeks underway getting traps and flying every day. I could be flying every day of the week while at home if it weren't for evals/awards/etc. We're going to be giving hours back at the end of this month/quarter.

I'm sure there are folks out there who took it in the shorts, but by and large it doesn't appear to have been the doom and gloom we may have been anticipating.

Beuller?

Part of my ground job is flight hour tracking (sigh) and this quarter we saw basically the same number of hours as in 2Q. Will be interesting to see what we get in 4Q.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Haha. I hear you can do some wonderful things with SHARP these days...;)

mdubs

pilot
I for one having been coming here a long time to get info sooner than BUPERS puts it up, ask questions of experienced guys ahead of me, and watch/read interesting things about Naval Aviation. Reading other people's opinions about politics or how the Navy sucks seems like a waste of time for me, I can go find tons of people on the ship who will complain if I need my fix. Although I rarely if ever post, I enjoy the site as it is and hope it continues to aid newbies and others as well. On that note, anyone get the O-4 list early?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Accidentally posted this in the Private Naval Aviators forum a couple days ago. It was meant for the eyes of all of AW membership, aviators and non aviators alike.

Ladies and gentlemen, kids of all ages....

Air Warriors has been around since early 1999, about 14 1/2 years now. For these last 13 1/2 years it has existed as a forum with varying degrees of look, feel, and function as the technology has evolved. And unlike its original design which lasted about a year, the forum concept has provided unlimited dynamic content, the ability for website visitors to interact with each other, and yes even for allowing online relationships to develop (good and bad). When I initially came up with the idea to start this website, I envisioned creating something that had the feeling of a small community where those in the know could help out those who didn't. However, at the time of conception, my only real experience with the internet was limited to kicking Webmaster's ass in Age of Empires and taking a basic HTML and web design class in college. I simply did not have the experience or the web knowledges to create exactly what I had in my head, nor did I really know where to look to figure it out. So I was left with the journal concept, providing gouge downloads, and yes....even a guest book (for those of you that remember what those were). :eek: Initially it was just a journal detailing my experiences as I progressed through the training process. Later, Webmaster had a training journal of his own when he started flight school a few months after me. When I made the decision to leave naval aviation and pursue my lifelong dream of being a SWO, I approached Webmaster with the idea of him taking over ownership of the website. He readily accepted the offer while sipping on his favorite raspberry bay breeze drink at one of our many weekend BBQ's. Not long after he took over control, he was able to put in a forum system. Though it was a rough system and used an Access database (if I recall correctly) for the back end, it was far better than anything I had been able to do up to that point. That new system was really the genesis of what you see before you now.

This forum, since those early beginnings through present day, has thrived on personal interactions and the contributions, mentorship, and leadership of the following: winged aviators, SNA's/SNFO's, SWO's, supply officers, flight surgeons, officer recruiters, submariners, civilians, enlisted sailors, marines, coasties, airline pilots, law enforcement personnel, military spouses, government contractors, etc, etc, etc. Air Warriors started out as a site dedicated to all things naval aviation and that continued even after the first forum system was put into place. Later, however, AW began to evolve and branch into other areas outside of naval aviation. Presently, there are 8 subforums specific to commissioning programs, 4 on the Marine Corp, 2 for the reserves, and 8 that are specific to other navy communities. Most of those subforums have been a part of this site for over a decade now.

Many of you might be wondering where do we go from here or you might be thinking that AW is just never going to be the same without the contributions of those individuals who recently left. This is not the first time that significant contributors have chosen to leave AW, nor will it be the last. I have seen more people than I can count over the years come and go on this forum. This is, however, the first time that folks have chosen to leave in such a manner as they did. I will tell you that I really enjoyed interacting with those guys on this forum, for a variety of reasons. Sometimes they were funny. Other times they pushed my buttons. And other times we had intelligent conversations. I will miss interacting with them.

For all you winged aviators who think the world should bow at your feet, get over yourselves. And I mean that in the nicest way possible. New folks coming onto this forum looking for information do not know you or care that you have wings under your name. They do not know the time, energy, and work you put into earning them. They literally have no idea what they mean. YOU DO and that is why you put so much focus on them. But trying to cram that same respect for your wings down their collective throats does nothing but alienate them. I am not saying they shouldn't be corrected if they are disrespectful to you or others. They do. But in some ways I think there are many of winged aviators here that are far more uptight and high strung than any SWO I've ever served with. You probably don't like hearing that, but I've observed it for a long time now. Lighten up. I also think the moderators in general have been much too quick on the trigger in putting someone in timeout if they don't agree with what they're saying.

Finally, something everyone here needs to come to grips with is not all visitors to this forum give a damn about naval aviation or wings. And honestly, I think THAT'S the crux of what needs to be addressed in terms of forward direction for this site. Do you want folks who are from other navy communities or want information about those communities participating on this site......or not?

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
Holy crap. I haven't logged onto AW since early March and I've only just caught up on the drama. WTF just happened? I guess you guys could ask the same of me. I guess work, my second kid (9 months old now) and my MBA have all been kicking my ass and I had zero clue this stuff went down. Clearly, I wasn't recruited to join the Rebel Alliance, but that's just as well. I miss what most of those guys brought to the site and hope to see at least one of them at a class reunion soon, but I'll live. Here's what I have to offer and I promise it's not worth more than $0.02. Anyone not named webmaster or steve wilkins or who didn't invest cash or sweat equity to build this site doesn't have much of a leg to stand on to critique the decision to part ways with those in question. Of course, there are advertising dollars involved and maybe even a few dollars left over after bandwidth and maintenance costs are covered. But legally and ethically, those dollars belong to those who, again, invested cash and sweat equity. And the guys who were granted mod rights did so as guests of the webmaster. I think his decisions were consistent with the original vision of this site and were done for the benefit of every past/present/future youngblood who comes to AW for answers to their questions about life in the profession of arms. I sincerely hope you guys recognize that. The ball is back in our court to keep the site alive and well. Is Naval Aviation dying? It's not thriving from where I sit. I'm one of the lucky ones. I flew my nuts off all around the planet in jets (T-37s), props (T-6s), and helos (H-46s and MH-60S). I remember when our community had the worst promotion and command opportunity rates in the Navy but the best retention. These days, I am taking calls/texts/emails/FB messages from bubbas asking me about opportunities on the outside because I have a window into that world getting my MBA at a good school. I'm talking #1EPs, 3 star Flag Aides, and rock stars who I thought were certainly staying in through command tours. Not sure where I am going with this part of the rant, so I'll quit. But I still love the Navy and I will tell you all about it over a Stone IPA at the IBar. Anytime.

P

ProudNavyLady

Accidentally posted this in the Private Naval Aviators forum a couple days ago. It was meant for the eyes of all of AW membership, aviators and non aviators alike.

Ladies and gentlemen, kids of all ages....

Air Warriors has been around since early 1999, about 14 1/2 years now. For these last 13 1/2 years it has existed as a forum with varying degrees of look, feel, and function as the technology has evolved. And unlike its original design which lasted about a year, the forum concept has provided unlimited dynamic content, the ability for website visitors to interact with each other, and yes even for allowing online relationships to develop (good and bad). When I initially came up with the idea to start this website, I envisioned creating something that had the feeling of a small community where those in the know could help out those who didn't. However, at the time of conception, my only real experience with the internet was limited to kicking Webmaster's ass in Age of Empires and taking a basic HTML and web design class in college. I simply did not have the experience or the web knowledges to create exactly what I had in my head, nor did I really know where to look to figure it out. So I was left with the journal concept, providing gouge downloads, and yes....even a guest book (for those of you that remember what those were). :eek: Initially it was just a journal detailing my experiences as I progressed through the training process. Later, Webmaster had a training journal of his own when he started flight school a few months after me. When I made the decision to leave naval aviation and pursue my lifelong dream of being a SWO, I approached Webmaster with the idea of him taking over ownership of the website. He readily accepted the offer while sipping on his favorite raspberry bay breeze drink at one of our many weekend BBQ's. Not long after he took over control, he was able to put in a forum system. Though it was a rough system and used an Access database (if I recall correctly) for the back end, it was far better than anything I had been able to do up to that point. That new system was really the genesis of what you see before you now.

This forum, since those early beginnings through present day, has thrived on personal interactions and the contributions, mentorship, and leadership of the following: winged aviators, SNA's/SNFO's, SWO's, supply officers, flight surgeons, officer recruiters, submariners, civilians, enlisted sailors, marines, coasties, airline pilots, law enforcement personnel, military spouses, government contractors, etc, etc, etc. Air Warriors started out as a site dedicated to all things naval aviation and that continued even after the first forum system was put into place. Later, however, AW began to evolve and branch into other areas outside of naval aviation. Presently, there are 8 subforums specific to commissioning programs, 4 on the Marine Corp, 2 for the reserves, and 8 that are specific to other navy communities. Most of those subforums have been a part of this site for over a decade now.

Many of you might be wondering where do we go from here or you might be thinking that AW is just never going to be the same without the contributions of those individuals who recently left. This is not the first time that significant contributors have chosen to leave AW, nor will it be the last. I have seen more people than I can count over the years come and go on this forum. This is, however, the first time that folks have chosen to leave in such a manner as they did. I will tell you that I really enjoyed interacting with those guys on this forum, for a variety of reasons. Sometimes they were funny. Other times they pushed my buttons. And other times we had intelligent conversations. I will miss interacting with them.

For all you winged aviators who think the world should bow at your feet, get over yourselves. And I mean that in the nicest way possible. New folks coming onto this forum looking for information do not know you or care that you have wings under your name. They do not know the time, energy, and work you put into earning them. They literally have no idea what they mean. YOU DO and that is why you put so much focus on them. But trying to cram that same respect for your wings down their collective throats does nothing but alienate them. I am not saying they shouldn't be corrected if they are disrespectful to you or others. They do. But in some ways I think there are many of winged aviators here that are far more uptight and high strung than any SWO I've ever served with. You probably don't like hearing that, but I've observed it for a long time now. Lighten up. I also think the moderators in general have been much too quick on the trigger in putting someone in timeout if they don't agree with what they're saying.

Finally, something everyone here needs to come to grips with is not all visitors to this forum give a damn about naval aviation or wings. And honestly, I think THAT'S the crux of what needs to be addressed in terms of forward direction for this site. Do you want folks who are from other navy communities or want information about those communities participating on this site......or not?
BEAUTIFULLY said!! I absolutely agree! Well, I don't have all of the experience nor the knowledge you have on the subjects that you discussed, but I will say this: Respect toward other naval communities on this site really is waning. It is hard for people who decide to go SWO to feel truly welcome. I have seen the negativity blossom toward myself and to several other folks before me. I absolutely love this site for so many reasons including the information it provides and the comradery it allows to develop. It really would make this place far better if steps were taken to make the communities feel more like a family. As far as I'm concerned, it's the Navy. It's NOT the naval aviators and then some other insignificant people who do other stuff.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When I'm treated like a family member by the SWOs aboard USS Boat, then I'll stop making fun of their SWOters and predilection for fratricide. Designator friction is a fact of life in the fleet and donning rose colored glasses doesn't tend to make one's life any easier.

BigRed389

None
BEAUTIFULLY said!! I absolutely agree! Well, I don't have all of the experience nor the knowledge you have on the subjects that you discussed, but I will say this: Respect toward other naval communities on this site really is waning. It is hard for people who decide to go SWO to feel truly welcome. I have seen the negativity blossom toward myself and to several other folks before me. I absolutely love this site for so many reasons including the information it provides and the comradery it allows to develop. It really would make this place far better if steps were taken to make the communities feel more like a family. As far as I'm concerned, it's the Navy. It's NOT the naval aviators and then some other insignificant people who do other stuff.

Here's the deal:

Some of the SWO jokes here are also grounded in a bit of truth. When you've actually been to sea, you'll understand it. So it's really not that big a deal.
As someone who actually IS a SWO and has been here for a while, I can say that I feel about as "welcome" as can be expected.

It's also to be expected that aviators may come across like they think they're the Masters of the Universe. Most people like to think they're pretty awesome.
Guess what...you're going to meet and work for and be evaluated by SWOs with the same kind of overinflated egos, who also suck at playing nice with others.
And then you're going to meet people in the Navy who'll think we should abolish the Army.
Sailorbob aviator/Army bashing usually goes way farther than any of the joking I see here.

So...my advice again, don't show weakness. Admitting that stupid things like this bother you is, if you don't want to call it weakness, something people will gleefully exploit. Especially aviators. They're like jackals.