• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Blue & Gold Officer available

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah I gathered that. Poor choice of words on my part, but I was trying to say that he did everything he could to help me get my package together, etc.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Evidently I miss-read your post, but here is what I was going off of:

What I was getting at is that your BGO has VERY little impact on whether you are accepted or not.

I disagree. I suspect that when your father was assigned to admissions at USNA he did not select too many candidates that were not whole heartedly recommended by their BGO. The BGO is the eyes and ears of admissions. Now all the cheer leading in the world will not get a goober selected, but a BGO, especially if they are a military officer, can have a very negative effect on an application if they write an interview appraisal that is anything but affirmative and even enthusiastic. Ever hear of damned by faint praise? So imagine a BOG actually not making a positive recommendation, or one with qualifications. There are plenty of other applicants with paper before the board that have enthusiastic recommendations. Why take a chance? At the least I think it would generate a phone call to the BGO to discuss details. A BGO may not get you selected, but he can do a heck of a lot in not getting you selected.

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
I can't imagine they'd bother having BGO's if they were going to pay them no mind.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Keep in mind that many BGO's are some kids parents. There are definitely different levels of BGO's. They would probably base the weight of your rec (or non-rec) more on your status as a prior naval officer than a BGO.

JTB7

The admission board has resources that rank the competitiveness of high schools. Don't worry too much about your rank if you are in a truly competitive college prep type of high school, are taking the most challenging courses, and receiving good grades.

You don't apply for NAPS. The admissions board makes the offer based on your USNA application. It is usually someone who they think has very good potential as a mid and officer but is lacking in academics only. A NAPS offer is really quite complementary. It says your officer potential is high enough they are willing to make the extra investment in one more year of school just to make sure you succeed academically.

I am taking accelerated English[basically preps you for ap english], ap chemistry and a year ahead in math. Next year im going to take ap physics and ap english along with normal classes. Have a 3.5 gpa, in football[once a team captain] and track and close to getting eagle[boy scouts] I run a 8:00 1.5 mile, can do 60 pushups and 12 dead-hang pull ups [I'm a sophomore]

Am I competitive enough to get into the academy? If I get the eagle, and keep getting better at my physical ability, do I have a good chance at getting into NAPS[or a prep school if I dont get in]?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
[I'm a sophomore]

Am I competitive enough to get into the academy?

No. You have to be a high school graduate.

All kidding aside, I think you are on track to having a very competitve package. Keep in mind many admissions decisions are not made at the national level. Many decisions are made by the local Congressmen and Senators who choose thier primary nominations for the Academies. If you work hard to secure that you don't need to compete with other candidates from around the country for alternate slots.

In any case keep up the hard work, graduate from HS and you might be a plebe in a couple years. Wow, what a goal to aspire to..... becoming a plebe.

JTB7

No. You have to be a high school graduate.

All kidding aside, I think you are on track to having a very competitve package. Keep in mind many admissions decisions are not made at the national level. Many decisions are made by the local Congressmen and Senators who choose thier primary nominations for the Academies. If you work hard to secure that you don't need to compete with other candidates from around the country for alternate slots.

In any case keep up the hard work, graduate from HS and you might be a plebe in a couple years. Wow, what a goal to aspire to..... becoming a plebe.

I will get to yell at plebes when I am an upperclassmen, so it's all good...

How many primary nominations do the local Congressmen get for each academy?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You have striper written all over you.

Striper? When I first saw it I thought you meant stripper, which made no sense......Shows you where my mind is......In a good place.......:D