• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Blue & Gold Officer available

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
High school seniors hoping to get into the USNA should already be talking to a Blue and Gold Officer. If not, start the on line app now. Juniors and Sophomores that want more info, speak up. If you have a Blue and Gold Officer that isn't meeting your needs I will see if I can help.

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
What percent get jets?

What_Percent.jpg

Goob83

None
Blue and GOLD officers are terrible here in NORCAL. Their answer is find a recruiter. What exactly are they suppose to do?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Blue and GOLD officers are terrible here in NORCAL. Their answer is find a recruiter. What exactly are they suppose to do?
A Blue and Gold Officer tells a prospective USNA applicant to go to an enlisted recruiter? I don't know the value in that since a recruiter can't help a kid with a USNA app. I have hear that BGOs are frequently useless and difficult to deal with. That is too bad. Fact is they are all volunteers whose motivation varies greatly. Some are civilian with no military background. Maybe they had a child who was a mid at one point. The USNA knows it is a problem. I understand the new Department Head in the Candidate Guidance Office, a P-3 puke, is trying to clean up the BGO ranks a bit and remotivate the others.

Goob83

None
I am an officer recruiter but all NAPs guys are sent to enlisted recruiters to complete paperwork and then we are called in to give the Oath and such. at this point bombarded with questions. Additionally, I get calls from folks that are accepted for USNA all the time saying the BGO told them to find an Officer recruiter for questions. I have three OHARP USNA guys now that were a great help over the summer.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am an officer recruiter but all NAPs guys are sent to enlisted recruiters to complete paperwork and then we are called in to give the Oath and such. at this point bombarded with questions. Additionally, I get calls from folks that are accepted for USNA all the time saying the BGO told them to find an Officer recruiter for questions. I have three OHARP USNA guys now that were a great help over the summer.
O.K. I see the NAPS connection now. I was thinking the BGOs were sending guys to enlisted recruiters rather then working with them to improve their chances. Still, I think it is deplorable that a BGO can't answer questions about the Navy or the fleet. I wonder if those local BGOs that send kids to you with questions are civilian.

On another note. Are your USNA OHARP guys 13XX guys? Last I heard they were not sending aviation guys from the A pool to OHARP. We haven't seen one at the NRD I support for a couple years at least. I have a nephew, freshly minted USNA Ensign, that is in A pool and I would love to have him come OGARP at my NRD. I'd make the call if I thought they would spring him.

Goob83

None
We have had one 13XX guy he was not USNA the others are NUKESSSSSS. and the are all USNA folks

THE BGO folks are retired O6 and guy that was in while back and made it to LT before he got out. I have not talked to either one of them but I have seen the letters and ask the applicants about the BGO they are working with

UMichfly

pilot
None
I'm a SNFO and I am currently doing OHARP, although I wasn't in A-Pool when I got picked up for it. My detailer sent out an e-mail looking for a bunch of stash 13XX types to do OHARP in various locales so I would imagine your nephew could get assigned there if he's proactive...and a 1370 since the stash time seems to be huge right now. Good luck!

m3urthy

Why don't you have a seat right over there.
I remember when I was a HS Junior/Senior and was looking around at service academies.

USNA- BGO was very intimidating and hard to talk to. Didn't really care about helping out.

USAFA- Amazing Academy liason officer. Opened up his home many times out of the year to entertain and educate candidates and their families. Easy to get in touch with and even held PT days to get kids in shape.

USMA- Very friendly staff liason staff in New York and a solid alumini organization that assisted in interviewing and educating prospective cadets. I got the impression of a very close and tight knit group from the people that I dealt with here.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
My old man did his final tour as the dean of candidate guidance at USNA a few years ago. Part of his job was overseeing the BGO's and administering the annual weekend where the academy flys the BGOs out to Naptown and they attend meetings/tours while living in mutha-b. My BGO sucked, so I can understand if people are having problems with theirs. Part of the problem is that it is voluntary and the BGOs can be involved as much or as little as they want. The old guy knows his stuff (he sat on the admissions board for 3 years), and if he doesn't know the answer he knows who to call to get it. He's on here occasionally as P3perdiem or something. If there are enough people with questions I can try to get him to check the site more often or I can just forward them to him myself.

Just throwin' that out there since I have alot of time on my hands between waiting to start OCS and sending in head shots for a part as a knight at Midieval Times...

JTB7

Since I know the Academy looks at your class ranking as #1, I was wondering if they gave any leeway to students going to completive schools. I have a 3.6 gpa and am in the top 40% of my class. At most other schools, I would be at least a top 25% of my class. Also, if I do not get into the Academy, how competitive is it to get into NAPS?
Thanks

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Since I know the Academy looks at your class ranking as #1, I was wondering if they gave any leeway to students going to completive schools. I have a 3.6 gpa and am in the top 40% of my class. At most other schools, I would be at least a top 25% of my class. Also, if I do not get into the Academy, how competitive is it to get into NAPS?
Thanks

The admission board has resources that rank the competitiveness of high schools. Don't worry too much about your rank if you are in a truly competitive college prep type of high school, are taking the most challenging courses, and receiving good grades.

You don't apply for NAPS. The admissions board makes the offer based on your USNA application. It is usually someone who they think has very good potential as a mid and officer but is lacking in academics only. A NAPS offer is really quite complementary. It says your officer potential is high enough they are willing to make the extra investment in one more year of school just to make sure you succeed academicly.