• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best Naval Aviation movies

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flight of the Intruder, as well as Final Countdown, Bat 21, have been a few of my favorite movies,

Just watched Intruder again, and at the end there is something i have never understood.

Been around planes all my life, Boeing, MDC, general aviation, dad flew since he was 11, worked at NAS Whidbey for a NMCI contract etc, but never in the military.

In the movie, Danny Glover must play the CAG or the Air Group Commander, and Jake Grafton must be the squadron commander or leader, since Danny leads the meetings in the Ready Room, and Jake has that one guy come to him in the hanger deck about getting married and such.
**NA = Naval Aviator
NA Wings.gif
**NFO = Naval Flight Officer
NFO Wings.png

Glover is a CDR and the Squadron CO. Grafton is a LT, probably a squadron Divisiom Officer; thus charged with the welfare and counseling of his Sailors.

If so, Why, at the end do they talk about Danny Glover getting his own ship and making Admiral? Never been in the navy, but isn't the flying part of the navy, separate from the sailing part of the navy?
Nope, Airwings are married to Carriers, they are a team (sailing and flying together).

Why would the CAG or Group Commander have right to being a Admiral or Captain of a ship?
It isn't a right, it is the promotion path of the very successful NA/NFO, as (s)he moves upward in the senior gredes..

Gotcha, so he would have to go to "ship sailing school"? if they decided they wanted their own command, or would they already have done that?
'
They don't decide that, they have to be selected by a board of very senior Officers. After a "ship-driving" seamanship school, they are given command of a large (deep draft) auxiliary ship for 1-1.5 years, to hone their shiphandling skills for carrier command.

Hope this clears things up for you, and BTW In my opinion, The Bridges at Toko-Ri, is the greatest NA movie EVER!:D
BzB

Last edited:

Renegade One

None
...BTW In my opinion, The Bridges at Toko-Ri, is the greatest NA movie EVER!:D
BzB
I'd watched that movie for probably 15+ years…but not until I made my first deployment did I understand what those roar and thump sounds in the background were when LT Brubaker is sweating in the RR or his SR.

Then my first JO 8-man was right under CATs 1 and 2 on CORAL SEA and everything made sense. Pretty impressive sound direction/effects for the time in which the movie was filmed.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd watched that movie for probably 15+ years…but not until I made my first deployment did I understand what those roar and thump sounds in the background were when LT Brubaker is sweating in the RR or his SR.

Then my first JO 8-man was right under CATs 1 and 2 on CORAL SEA and everything made sense. Pretty impressive sound direction/effects for the time in which the movie was filmed.
Yeah, on both my RANGER & CONNIE cruises, my SR was under one of the bow cats. During the first carqual/workups, after the first few hours, you didn't really hear them, or got awakened by the slam-bang any more. I guess the brain learns pretty fast, to block it out (or you could never sleep during fltops)!:(

After the first cruise, shortly after I got home, one of my little kids asked me "Daddy what's that awful banging noise on the tape you sent us"? I said I don't know, show me. When I heard it I was amazed at how loud & disturbing it must have been to the little ones, then 5, 4 & 2. On the cruise the following year, I avoided recording family tapes during flight ops, duh.:rolleyes:

I would think the crew's berthing under the FD landing area, suffers a similar 'noise pollution' problem, with the loud screech of the AG engines during each trap.:eek:
BzB

Last edited:

brownshoe

Contributor
Yeah, on both my RANGER & CONNIE cruises, my SR was under one of the bow cats. During the first carqual/workups, after the first few hours, you didn't really hear them, or got awakened by the slam-bang any more. I guess the brain learns pretty fast, to block it out (or you could never sleep during fltops)!:(

After the first cruise, shortly after I got home, one of my little kids asked me "Daddy what's that awful banging noise on the tape you sent us"? I said I don't know, show me. When I heard it I was amazed at how loud & disturbing it must have been to the little ones, then 5, 4 & 2. On the cruise the following year, I avoided recording family tapes during flight ops, duh.:rolleyes:

I would think the crew's berthing under the FD landing area, suffers a similar 'noise pollution' problem, with the loud screech of the AG engines during each trap.:eek:
BzB
Shit... it all became white-noise to me. Like the planes at high-power ashore.

(BTW... I've much to tell you and Ron. Catch up with you two 'old farts' soon. :))

Last edited:

Kaman

Beech 1900 pilot's; "Fly it like you stole it"
Worst Naval Aviation movie...Top Gun, because they had a Coastie H-3 deploying a US Navy Rescue Swimmer Instructor! Have no idea with all the resources at North Island that they couldn't use an HC-1 H-3 t0 make that scene legit...At the time, the USCG had NOT begun training their own SAR swimmers, and even when they did...The NAVY trained them until they started their own school down in Cape May...

Renegade One

None
Worst Naval Aviation movie...Top Gun...
You need to learn how to pay attention. Recruiting, etc….

Get over the freaking minutiae you disagree with… TOPGUN/Tomcat folks could give you a huge shirtless, dog-tag volleyball beatdown in that regard. But for "big Navy"? It was a GREAT movie. Probably not the best…but great in its own way…and at its time.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Worst Naval Aviation movie...Top Gun, because they had a Coastie H-3 deploying a US Navy Rescue Swimmer Instructor! Have no idea with all the resources at North Island that they couldn't use an HC-1 H-3 t0 make that scene legit...At the time, the USCG had NOT begun training their own SAR swimmers, and even when they did...The NAVY trained them until they started their own school down in Cape May...
Yeah! And I'm really pissed Maverick wore an E-2 squadron patch while flying an F-14.... not.

jmcquate

Contributor
If Top Gun has taught us anything..............it's no fox 2 until the piper turns green.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Shit... it all became white-noise to me. Like the planes at high-power ashore.
My 1st night aboard USS Midway...in the top bunk just under the port cat. Had just dozed off.

Suddenly the cat launched somebody right above my head! Startled, I woke up and sat up abruptly. As I did, I hit my forehead on the I-beam overhead my bunk, knocking me back down into the rack and almost out. Hurt like hell and bleed too.

But that was the first and I think the last time a launch ever woke me up. I could sleep through anything after that, except GQ.

brownshoe

Contributor
My 1st night aboard USS Midway...in the top bunk just under the port cat. Had just dozed off.

Suddenly the cat launched somebody right above my head! Startled, I woke up and sat up abruptly. As I did, I hit my forehead on the I-beam overhead my bunk, knocking me back down into the rack and almost out. Hurt like hell and bleed too.

But that was the first and I think the last time a launch ever woke me up. I could sleep through anything after that, except GQ.
I could put up with the noise, we learned. But I wouldn't put up with the shit today... breathalyzer tests at the gate? WTF!

Last edited: