• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best Naval Aviation movies

Kaman

Beech 1900 pilot's; "Fly it like you stole it"
You need to learn how to pay attention. Recruiting, etc….

Get over the freaking minutiae you disagree with… TOPGUN/Tomcat folks could give you a huge shirtless, dog-tag volleyball beatdown in that regard. But for "big Navy"? It was a GREAT movie. Probably not the best…but great in its own way…and at its time.

Wow....

Renegade One

None
TopGun.
Best movie.
End of story.
Lock the thread.
I never said it was the best…I'm probably in the "Toko-Ri" camp, although there are others that come to mind. I just said that "on balance"…it was pretty darned good for the Navy. I think that's a fair statement.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
50+ years on and I still think that Toko-Ri remains a far more accurate depiction of Naval Aviation.
Agree completely... did a bit of research, found that I had cited "Bridges... " as my favorite all-time movie in 8 posts scattered over this, and other AW threads, since Oct. '09. Stickin' to it!:D
BRIDGES.jpg
BzB

Renegade One

None
50+ years on and I still think that Toko-Ri remains a far more accurate depiction of Naval Aviation.
Agree completely... did a bit of research, found that I had cited "Bridges... " as my favorite all-time movie in 8 posts scattered over this, and other AW threads, since Oct. '09. Stickin' to it!:D
View attachment 13264
BzB
No argument…my favorite as well. I think I've said it before…took me until my first cruise on CORAL SEA to understand what the hell the "thump-bang" sounds were in the background when Brubaker was sweating out his own mortality in the Ready Room or his stateroom. THEN…I got it!

Kaman

Beech 1900 pilot's; "Fly it like you stole it"
Thump-bang? Nothing like being on the crapper when the first Noload hits the water brake right over your head...

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Couple of other movies:

for the Navy there is "Operations Petticoat"

and for aviation there is "Dr Strangelove"

For those who may not remember, back in the day we had B-52's aloft 24/7 orbiting with H-bombs waiting on the go code.

Last edited:
This is my first post and it's funny, Top Gun is on tv. I was reading the rules of the forum and saw this thread. When I went in the Navy in 86 my recruiter said the movie helped everyone meet their quota for years.

Well my son was just selected for SNA and leaves for OCS very soon. I've asked him so many questions I'm probably driving him crazy. My other son was enlisted like me so this is a new ball game for our family. We are all very proud but I know we will not see him for long stretches but to fly I would still do it! Lol.

I like Top Gun but Tom is way out there with his church, nuff said.

Many questions to follow I just need to find the right place. Do they have a "curious dad" forum.

Honestly I've never seen Hot Shots, I'll have to check red box. Top Gun was just on the tube while I was surfing this site, made me feel like breaking the ice. I'd like to see Howard Hughes Hells Angels. It might be on YouTube.

This I'm sure isn't the right thread but when do you get a "call sign" in the Navy? I searched and found plenty of guidance on what not to do but on a timeline I was curious when that happens. I can already hear it Flounder.....