• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best Naval Aviation movies

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
So you made me go look in SHARP. Sadly, you can only go back as far as 2003. I'm sure NALCOMIS can go back to the Bronze age, though.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
......2. What was the Prowler doing on the big launch to fight the Japanese? I'm only imagining he was going up for some extra traps, or maybe to get some practice plugs from the tanker.... Or maybe he just got the good deal +45 cycle day dick around!!!

He had a camera man in his back seat filming what this still shot was captured from.:cool:

Final Countdown.png

Renegade One

None
I'm late to the fight, but The Final Countdown is by far the best.... especially as a roll 'em with half the airwing in the ready room. Two main questions though.....

1. For the nugget that took off in the 80's and landed in 1941, how do you enter that in the log
Probably a 1.6…day CAT, day Case I TRAP...like always. Unless he pulled the trigger…then it's all in Green Ink. How they sorted all of that out after "return to normal"…I have no idea. I probably never had the clearances to really know...

2. What was the Prowler doing on the big launch to fight the Japanese? I'm only imagining he was going up for some extra traps, or maybe to get some practice plugs from the tanker.... Or maybe he just got the good deal +45 cycle day dick around!!!
Standard air wing "scramble alert strike package"? One never knows.
Theory 1: Voice comm jamming or exploitation?
Theory 2: Someone said "We need to highlight ALL of the airplanes in the wing in this movie."

I'm jiggy with either...

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
2. What was the Prowler doing on the big launch to fight the Japanese? I'm only imagining he was going up for some extra traps, or maybe to get some practice plugs from the tanker.... Or maybe he just got the good deal +45 cycle day dick around!!!

Flying respot?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I'm late to the fight, but The Final Countdown is by far the best.... especially as a roll 'em with half the airwing in the ready room. Two main questions though.....

1. For the nugget that took off in the 80's and landed in 1941, how do you enter that in the log book?

Maintenance would love that. Negative 350,400 hours in the logbook. That plane could fly forever without any inspections required.

rp23g7

Hi Everyone, newbie civilian here.

Thanks for you service on this day before Veterans Day.

Its great reading what military pilots think about movies, i have a question about Naval Aviation rank heirarchy.

Flight of the Intruder, as well as Final Countdown, Bat 21, have been a few of my favorite movies,

Just watched Intruder again, and at the end there is something i have never understood.

Been around planes all my life, Boeing, MDC, general aviation, dad flew since he was 11, worked at NAS Whidbey for a NMCI contract etc, but never in the military.

In the movie, Danny Glover must play the CAG or the Air Group Commander, and Jake Grafton must be the squadron commander or leader, since Danny leads the meetings in the Ready Room, and Jake has that one guy come to him in the hanger deck about getting married and such.

If so, Why, at the end do they talk about Danny Glover getting his own ship and making Admiral? Never been in the navy, but isn't the flying part of the navy, separate from the sailing part of the navy?

Why would the CAG or Group Commander have right to being a Admiral or Captain of a ship?

rp23g7

Gotcha, so he would have to go to "ship sailing school"? if they decided they wanted their own command, or would they already have done that?
'

jmcquate

Contributor
They get what's know as a deep draft command to learn the ship driving part. Then they become the XO of a CV and if nothing goes wrong they should get command of a CV.

rp23g7

cool, thanks, never understood that, i think James Farentino mentions something in Final Countdown too. Guess i have to watch Bridges at Toko Ri, since everyone says its good, never seen that

Renegade One

None
Hi Everyone, newbie civilian here.

In the movie, Danny Glover must play the CAG or the Air Group Commander, and Jake Grafton must be the squadron commander or leader, since Danny leads the meetings in the Ready Room...

Glover plays the part of the A-6 squadron CO. Jake Grafton is just a first (probably) tour pilot, crewed with a second (or third) tour Bombardier/Navigator in "Tiger".
If so, Why, at the end do they talk about Danny Glover getting his own ship and making Admiral? Never been in the navy, but isn't the flying part of the navy, separate from the sailing part of the navy?

Why would the CAG or Group Commander have right to being a Admiral or Captain of a ship?
In the time depicted, being a squadron CO, assuming you did well, was a "good path" to making CAG. CAGs, at the time, were post-command O-5s, and IF they did well there, could be selected XO of a CV…and if "did well" there… off to "deep draft" command of a ship (oiler, ammo ship, AFS, etc.). Do well there…off to "major command" of an aircraft carrier. It's a "Title 10, US Code" thing…only aviators (pilots or NFOs) can command aircraft carriers. Have no idea if the "afterward" in the movie has any relevance to the real persons involved at the time…but it plays well.
cool, thanks, never understood that, i think James Farentino mentions something in Final Countdown too. Guess i have to watch Bridges at Toko Ri, since everyone says its good, never seen that
Yes…go see this.