• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best Naval Aviation movies

hobbstc

None
Did anyone besides me go see TopGun 3D? It really took me back to seeing in in the theaters the summer of '86. I went for my 6th birthday and knew right then that's what I wanted to do. Then my eyes went south, and that's another story, but it's still why I am a military aviator today. It looked fantastic on the big screen, the sound was perfectly remastered, and the 3D did an amazing job of enhancing the dogfight sequences. Unfortunately it also enhanced the shirtless volleyball scenes and made the love making tongue licking scene even more gross.

Corsair2002

Sequestration Fodder
pilot
My vote for The Bridges at Toko Ri. Anybody else remember that sim instructor in K-ville that flew one of the F9Fs in that movie? Wolf?

OscarMyers

None
My vote for The Bridges at Toko Ri. Anybody else remember that sim instructor in K-ville that flew one of the F9Fs in that movie? Wolf?

Just saw that movie for the first time a few weeks ago. I was really impressed with the cinematography, considering the year it was filmed. And the pinwheel maneuver. Craziness.

Corsair2002

Sequestration Fodder
pilot
Amazing what they can do with models....Or I should say, amazing what they can do without CGI...everything nowadays looks animated....

Renegade One

None
Did anyone besides me go see TopGun 3D? ...it's still why I am a military aviator today. It looked fantastic on the big screen, the sound was perfectly remastered, and the 3D did an amazing job of enhancing the dogfight sequences. Unfortunately it also enhanced the shirtless volleyball scenes and made the love making tongue licking scene even more gross.

Yep…me too. I can't quite come to grips with how they were able to "de-layer" all the stuff originally shot on flat formats, and then "separate" the layers into something really new. Amazing.

Roger shirtless volleyball…and the bed scene…but others (a new generation?) will dig those. Whatever...

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Big roger that! "Bridges" is my favorite movie of all time! First saw it as a young NAVCAD in Preflight, at a Navy Blvd. drive-in (remember those?), in Pensacola. Damn motivating! Little did I dream that some 10 years later, my experience practically duplicated LT Harry Brubaker's final mission... with the important exception that I just barely made the coast (gliding on fire):eek: , and was plucked from the water under fire, by a 'modern Mike Forney' & his crew!:D
And the pinwheel maneuver. Craziness.
Crazy... maybe, but not too smart using (& overheating) recips; however, Pinwheel has been used on occasion since Korea, using jet-powered aircraft... which did not suffer engine damage as long as max EGTs were not exceeded. In Airpac, it was mainly employed in Yokosuka (as in "Bridges"), to assist the tugs in docking in extremely high winds. Our CVW-9 did a jet Pinwheel once entering Yoko on RANGER in '60, using F-8 Crusaders, F-3H Demons, and A-4 Skyhawks (VA-95s A-1 Skyraiders were excused:)). It seemed to be successful, as we didn't destroy the pier or run aground!:eek:
BzB

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Big roger that! "Bridges" is my favorite movie of all time! First saw it as a young NAVCAD in Preflight, at a Navy Blvd. drive-in (remember those?), in Pensacola. Damn motivating! Little did I dream that some 10 years later, my experience practically duplicated LT Harry Brubaker's final mission... with the important exception that I just barely made the coast (gliding on fire):eek: , and was plucked from the water under fire, by a 'modern Mike Forney' & his crew!

Did you get to come home to Grace Kelly?

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
I don't recall the "timeframe" when TFC was filmed…may have been some combination of both at the time. I have NO idea what uniforms might have been portrayed in the movie...

I know the E's in the movie were wearing salt and peppers still. Think it came out in '79?

ProwlerPilot

pilot
I'm late to the fight, but The Final Countdown is by far the best.... especially as a roll 'em with half the airwing in the ready room. Two main questions though.....

1. For the nugget that took off in the 80's and landed in 1941, how do you enter that in the log book?

2. What was the Prowler doing on the big launch to fight the Japanese? I'm only imagining he was going up for some extra traps, or maybe to get some practice plugs from the tanker.... Or maybe he just got the good deal +45 cycle day dick around!!!