• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Being Gay in Naval Aviation

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Not LGBTQ but similar discrimination issue...

A served CO (male) mentioned he was reviewing rankings for E-6 evals and noticed that every female in his command was bottom half, most were Ps. Hmmm, that's weird. Pulls the string and the women in the command were not being given the opportunities to serve in break out primary and collateral duties, nor were they qualifying supervisory watches because of the same phenomenon you see in the civilian workforce where women are less likely to make waves and take career risks for whatever biological or psychological reasons.

Took a lot of top down forcefulness to get women into those roles and surprise, they succeeded. And I'm sure he had plenty of his subordinates saying it was favoritism.

Point is that this stuff goes on and even if it's not an overt "I'm going to tank your career because you have a vagina / are attracted to the same sex / whatever," and if you don't think so then you're probably not looking and listening hard enough.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
God, what an awful way to go through life. Glad he got weeded out.

yeah what a piece of shit. "Good pilot"......yeah, I bet he was great at tanker joins in a prowler ? (I assume those words mean "didn't hit the ramp" only in prowler speak)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
yeah what a piece of shit. "Good pilot"......yeah, I bet he was great at tanker joins in a prowler ? (I assume those words mean "didn't hit the ramp" only in prowler speak)

He was a former Intruder type and apparently had a good rep from VA, it didn't hurt that all but one of our hinges and the XO in the squadron were also Intruder types and he hid his worst tendencies from everyone but the JO's. Either way he went on to his post-DH joint tour and didn't get selected for CO, and is probably being an an asshole in the cockpit of an airliner now.

Raymero

haha I was gonna say the same thing. Unless you want to count the vast metroplex of Burlington/Mt Vernon/La Conner :)

....to be fair, there is a food co-op and a Target.....
I left Whidbey in 1985 and went back for a reunion in 2013. Man what a change.

FinkUFreaky

pilot
He was a former Intruder type and apparently had a good rep from VA, it didn't hurt that all but one of our hinges and the XO in the squadron were also Intruder types and he hid his worst tendencies from everyone but the JO's. Either way he went on to his post-DH joint tour and didn't get selected for CO, and is probably being an an asshole in the cockpit of an airliner now.
Hey he might have been blackballed. Understand the fleet has the option to mention assholes before they’re being hired! I know of at least one example.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Hey he might have been blackballed. Understand the fleet has the option to mention assholes before they’re being hired! I know of at least one example.

Not interested in names, but what did that individual do to get themselves blackballed by the entire airline industry? I've met a lot of assholes in flying, but only one or two that I would say should never be allowed in the cockpit of an aircraft again. They were crystal clear examples that would easily stand out in an interview.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not interested in names, but what did that individual do to get themselves blackballed by the entire airline industry? I've met a lot of assholes in flying, but only one or two that I would say should never be allowed in the cockpit of an aircraft again. They were crystal clear examples that would easily stand out in an interview.

I looked him up and it appears he is flying for an airline. Like I said, he had a decent rep among Intruder types so I am not surprised where he is at all.

I only know of one instance where a guy was 'blackballed', a guy from my first squadron who could only get hired to fly Electras out of Scotland. Ironically he was one of the morons who would pull the power back on long transits to get the extra 0.2 or 0.3 of flight time. Why was he blackballed? He was a moron and it was evident to pretty much anyone soon after meeting him. Even the guy we called 'Scary' got hired by an airline, and you really gotta work to be 'scary' in a P-3.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
There are fucking weirdos with very low seniority numbers in all airlines. Much like we didn't weed them out, neither did the airlines. I've been in the show for 6 months, so this isn't like the wisdom of a really experienced person, it is just common knowledge. I also think that I might just be an oblivious person. Walking down the bridge with the CA yesterday, we passed the outgoing crew, and that CA (of the previous crew) and I had flown before (couldn't remember if it was OE or just a random trip). IIRC, this guy was maybe low 2-300's seniority. My CA was like "he is one of the top 25 assholes in our company and is on everyone's no fly list". I remembered him as a slightly quirky/eccentric dude and I eventually got him laughing, and we had a pretty good trip. What I haven't seen (yet), is a CA who wasn't good at flying or scared me. There would be a far different opinion or interpersonal exchange if that ever took place, which is just an insane thing to imagine.

Last edited:

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
There are fucking weirdos with very low seniority numbers in all airlines. Much like we didn't weed them out, neither did the airlines. I've been in the show for 6 months, so this isn't like the wisdom of a really experienced person, it is just common knowledge. I also think that I might just be an oblivious person. Walking down the bridge with the CA yesterday, we passed the outgoing crew, and that CA (of the previous crew) and I had flown before (couldn't remember if it was OE or just a random trip). IIRC, this guy was maybe low 2-300's seniority. My CA was like "he is one of the top 25 assholes in our company and is on everyone's no fly list". I remembered him as a slightly quirky/eccentric dude and I eventually got him laughing, and we had a pretty good trip. What I haven't seen (yet), is a CA who wasn't good at flying or scared me. There would be a far different opinion or interpersonal exchange if that ever took place, which is just an insane thing to imagine.

I’m curious, is your point that your CA had far too harsh of an opinion of that CA, given the fact that you had a seemingly pleasant trip with him? Or that “weird” guys like that slip through the cracks? I wouldn’t necessarily call that being oblivious, it just sounds like you can get along well with a wide range of people, which is a great quality that we need more of.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I’m curious, is your point that your CA had far too harsh of an opinion of that CA, given the fact that you had a seemingly pleasant trip with him? Or that “weird” guys like that slip through the cracks? I wouldn’t necessarily call that being oblivious, it just sounds like you can get along well with a wide range of people, which is a great quality that we need more of.

The latter was my point. Yeah, maybe so, I'm at least far calmer than when I'm on the boat......you definitely don't want that "me" :)

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
The latter was my point. Yeah, maybe so, I'm at least far calmer than when I'm on the boat......you definitely don't want that "me" :)
I’ve met plenty of people in my squadrons that didn’t fit the stereotypical mold and would be considered “weird” by some. Many of them turned out to be standup dudes who just like different things.

One thing I think we can all agree on is that nobody likes assholes. Those are the types that I think should be weeded out at every opportunity, and if people don’t want to fly with someone because they act like a dickhead or a tyrant then I think it’s well-deserved.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
There are fucking weirdos with very low seniority numbers in all airlines. Much like we didn't weed them out, neither did the airlines. I've been in the show for 6 months, so this isn't like the wisdom of a really experienced person, it is just common knowledge. I also think that I might just be an oblivious person. Walking down the bridge with the CA yesterday, we passed the outgoing crew, and that CA (of the previous crew) and I had flown before (couldn't remember if it was OE or just a random trip). IIRC, this guy was maybe low 2-300's seniority. My CA was like "he is one of the top 25 assholes in our company and is on everyone's no fly list". I remembered him as a slightly quirky/eccentric dude and I eventually got him laughing, and we had a pretty good trip.

Well, maybe you’re just an asshole too… ?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It is kind of ironic that the Navy isn’t the service first in line to be informally enforcing a “no asshole rule” already, considering we institutionally spend so much time cooped up in a damn psychological pressure cooker where you physically can’t get away from people who piss you off.

Instead we have stupid jokes like “happiness is a constant.”

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Well, maybe you’re just an asshole too… ?

On the boat, interacting with stupid boat donkeys, I absolutely was. I do actually regret that, a small amount, in hindsight. It was almost never them truly being stupid on an individual basis. To @FLGUY 's point, I think that taught me something that I have tried to carry over to this job. Though KCM tests this on a regular basis.