• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Being Gay in Naval Aviation

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Good. It's not a sinecure. Get with the program or retire. My twentysomething self was pretty anti-gay, but it's because of the time I grew up in and my lack of life experience. If my fortysomething self who served with several outstanding LGBT Sailors was the same way, I'd have wasted half my life.

I relate to this. Not really anti gay ever, but the slurs were common in our childhoods, without thinking about it. As a guy turning 40 in a few days, I think it is bizarre that anyone gives a single F at this point. I'm at the old end of any instructors OP would ever fly with, if I'd even be around by then. If I ever knew about a kid being discriminated over their orientation, that discrimination would end right there. No place for that. And frankly, no time for that. All we need is for you to be good at your job and care. Not everyone, by any means, has that, straight or otherwise.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I relate to this. Not really anti gay ever, but the slurs were common in our childhoods, without thinking about it. As a guy turning 40 in a few days, I think it is bizarre that anyone gives a single F at this point. I'm at the old end of any instructors OP would ever fly with, if I'd even be around by then. If I ever knew about a kid being discriminated over their orientation, that discrimination would end right there. No place for that. And frankly, no time for that. All we need is for you to be good at your job and care. Not everyone, by any means, has that, straight or otherwise.

Are you the site's oldest MIDN or is @CommodoreMid?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Get with the program or retire. My twentysomething self was pretty anti-gay, but it's because of the time I grew up in and my lack of life experience. If my fortysomething self who served with several outstanding LGBT Sailors was the same way, I'd have wasted half my life.

This is an interesting point. The Navy and DoD is collectively is only 10 years from where it was hunting for LGBT members to kick out. Even the O4s who put together the JO rack and stack during the FITREP 500 entered at a time where it was culturally encouraged to do so. Not trying to kick a group of people out from service is an important milestone but only one of many in the transformation to truly becoming an accepting organization. A lot of the cultural transformation to acceptance has been left up to individual effort. It has not been a universal institutional change that has happened quickly.

There’s a bunch of posts painting with broad strokes and rose colored glasses about how people have never seen or heard of people they served with ever having issues with gays as long as they didn’t flaunt it etc. That’s certainly the party line and may very well have been the case in specific instances but doesn’t paint a complete picture. I’ll expand on my post alluding to how being “out” post DADT hasn’t always been career enhancing. Looking back on it with the benefit of employment at several DEI champions of companies, I cringe at what was once viewed as culturally acceptable in the Navy.

During my shore tour after repeal of DADT there was a JO in the wing who was told by their Navy CO in their FITREP debrief that they got an MP as their final FITREP because the Coast Guard XO didn’t like them… turns out the XOs close friend and mentor was the Coast Guard Liaison Officer O-6 in Pensacola and JOs former CO in the VTs who right before the repeal of DADT was announced attempted to initiate proceedings to kick the JO out due to his moral convictions after the squadron flight doc informed the CO that the JO had admitted their orientation while receiving medical care in the base clinic. This action was overruled by CNATRA because power to kick someone else got removed from unit level commanders the year prior. MP shore tour meant FOSx2 was in that JOs future.

Disassociated sea tour post DADT I had an O-5 boss on the carrier openly state that he couldn’t kick out an LGBT sailor now so he just had to hope that he killed himself so he wouldn’t have to deal with him anymore. “Fucking faggot” and other anti gay slurs were tossed around regularly at the wardroom table by JOs including one who made it to the front office of a VQ squadron.

I know a JO who around 5 years or after repeal that got an unranked MP for their final FITREP in their fleet squadron with no tangible explanation from the front office as to why but they were “out” post DADT. “Gobbles” who was previously referenced in a post and had a positive fleet experience on the west coast, thought his experience was universal and outed this other JO to his east coast squadron. Unranked MPs from JO tours in aviation are career enders as we know.

Someone posted that there’s about to a couple COs who are out in VAQ… there are still LGBT O-5+ who felt they had to marry the opposite gender and have a child to have a successful career in the Navy. I know two LGBT pilots in the helo community who made O5 CO and then O6 (one was a bachelor HT CO during DADT and repeal and one was an operational CO a few years ago) and a SWO CO who commanded a DDG before making O6. Obviously they made it successfully but how much was a factor of not being “out”at the right time/ right command, or getting stationed on the left coast where heavy socially progressiveness of the local community fosters a more accepting environment?

There’s no denying there has been progress made since DADT repeal but It’s going to take an additional 20 years to get to the point where those in leadership positions entered the service when it wasn’t culturally accepted and engrained to kick people out for being LGBT. Perhaps LGBT needs to be a diversity consideration in FITREPs and promotion boards along with race and gender for more consistent career opportunities until DoD gets there.

These days if someone was LGBT just starting their DoD job search I’d probably recommend going Guard first because each unit has their own individuals culture and an applicant can shop individual units and see how accepting they are of their LGBT members more easily by asking simple questions about how the LGBT members of the command like it. If there aren’t any out members of the command that are commonly known that’s a big red flag that the command culture isn’t accepting of the LGBT community, even this day in age.

Last edited:

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Valid points.
I completely agree with you. I would hope that as we get further away from DADT that attitudes continue to evolve, but so much of it will always be dependent on the backgrounds of those in positions of power.

It’s good that we’re at the point where I can have a rockstar sailor transition genders with front office support, that the ready room shows up en-masse to support a gay aviator at his courthouse wedding prior to deployment, and we have sitting gay/lesbian COs, but there’s still progress to be made.

Generally I’d like to say that naval aviation is good about giving everyone a fair shake, but (as you noted), that unfortunately isn’t always the case.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Real Talk

All good points. I'd say the military has the benefit of quick turnover with respect to world view. Even the O6 leadership today only have 20 years of longevity. Even less for the O5 squadron-level (16 or so). By the time an SNA today gets to the fleet, their CO will be commissioned in 2015, born ~1991, and firmly millennial.

On the other hand, I fly with plenty of GenX/Baby Boomer pilots in 121 world who have no concerns about expressing their personal opinions on all things. My sim partner waived for Kara Hultgreen and felt strongly about it.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
All good points. I'd say the military has the benefit of quick turnover with respect to world view. Even the O6 leadership today only have 20 years of longevity. Even less for the O5 squadron-level (16 or so). By the time an SNA today gets to the fleet, their CO will be commissioned in 2015, born ~1991, and firmly millennial.

On the other hand, I fly with plenty of GenX/Baby Boomer pilots in 121 world who have no concerns about expressing their personal opinions on all things. My sim partner waived for Kara Hultgreen and felt strongly about it.

Don’t disagree with 121 pilots having the need to provide commentary on everything as if their opinions actually mattered. But as line pilots they usually don’t hold any power over the future employment of a pilot at the company, and a Captain or even CP not liking someone’s age, race, gender or sexual preference/identity is even going to stop them from upgrading. The absolute worst thing I’ve ever heard re: LGBT in the airlines was probably the equivalent a standard Tuesday in the fleet. In 4 years I only had one boomer make a string of over the top anti gay/women/black comments in the plane and I just told him to shut the fuck up and that was the end of it. We were both off probation so what was he going to tell the Chief pilot or pro standards that wasn’t going to get them to ask why I told him to shut the fuck up? Nothing and we both knew it. He apologized and said that his wife who is a VP for J&J keeps telling him he’s going to get fired for saying stuff like that but he keeps telling her that aviation is a boys club. He’s at Frontier now, so good luck to him with that.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I completely agree with you. I would hope that as we get further away from DADT that attitudes continue to evolve, but so much of it will always be dependent on the backgrounds of those in positions of power.

It’s good that we’re at the point where I can have a rockstar sailor transition genders with front office support, that the ready room shows up en-masse to support a gay aviator at his courthouse wedding prior to deployment, and we have sitting gay/lesbian COs, but there’s still progress to be made.

Generally I’d like to say that naval aviation is good about giving everyone a fair shake, but (as you noted), that unfortunately isn’t always the case.

Absolutely, those things mentioned are huge cultural improvements. I’m genuinely curious if the majority of the oof instances are concentrated on the east coast and in the south. I wouldn’t necessarily be surprised if that was the case, west coast Navy and all

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This is an interesting point. The Navy and DoD is collectively is only 10 years from where it was hunting for LGBT members to kick out. Even the O4s who put together the JO rack and stack during the FITREP 500 entered at a time where it was culturally encouraged to do so. Not trying to kick a group of people out from service is an important milestone but only one of many in the transformation to truly becoming an accepting organization. A lot of the cultural transformation to acceptance has been left up to individual effort. It has not been a universal institutional change that has happened quickly.

Everyone's experience is their own but having served my entire time on active duty before the repeal of DADT I didn't see any cultural encouragement to 'hunt' or kick out LGBT members of the military. The only times that I saw it come up, and it was only 3 or 4 times, was when the sailor or officer was having significant other issues and they came out during the process to discipline them for other things. Things were very 'live and let live' during that time period in my personal experience.

I do agree that there were, and still are, individuals that did object to LGBT folks in the service but their comments or attitudes were generally muted and not often discussed, and very few of those were malicious in that they retaliated or impacted someone's career. The only glaring exception was a DH in my VAQ squadron who didn't like LGBT folks, women or as it turned out later Jews serving in the military. He was also an asshole in general who was tolerated by a weak-willed CO because he was a 'good pilot'. Fortunately did not make CO.