• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BDCP approval timeline: Does it have to take up to 6 mos???

CECEngineer

One more question for those that have been so helpful: What is the bare minimum to score on push-ups, curl-ups, and 1.5 mile run to pass the PRT. I have been kinda slack about working out since I have been working so hard at my school work last semester.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
pittmanb8 said:
One more question for those that have been so helpful: What is the bare minimum to score on push-ups, curl-ups, and 1.5 mile run to pass the PRT. I have been kinda slack about working out since I have been working so hard at my school work last semester.
WTF? Ok, who is this? This has got to be some jokester messin' around. John, you trying to be a funny guy? A4's, is it you, testing my patience? Brett maybe, trying to piss me off? Who is it? I want a name.

CavemanOgg

pittmanb8: Wanted to jump in and say that its awsome that your applying and to not listen to those who get their kicks out of bashing newbies on the site. I won't guarantee but i'd put my life savings on the fact that at one point in their Navy career each and every one of the people on this site have wondered aloud why a process was taking a long time. I also would bet that if the Navy stopped paying them they would raise hell with someone despite the rightousness they preach.

Qualifications aside the fact that you would volunteer for the service (where the ultimate sacrifice is always a possibility) shows dedication. good luck with your package.

I believe the minimum IN-PRT standards at OCS for 20-24 year olds are 58 curl-ups, 47 pushups, and 12:00 1.5 mile; graduating standards are 87, 71, and 10:30 respectivily although they are based on an average so if you do better in one area you can do worse in another.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
CavemanOgg said:
I also would bet that if the Navy stopped paying them they would raise hell with someone despite the rightousness they preach.

Listen here, kiddo, the navy WILL pay you what they owe you, make no doubt about that. Sometimes the direct deposit gets messed up, etc, but the money gets to you. I would highly doubt that any officer or career oriented OC on this forum would "raise hell" and quit if this happened.

As for most of the Nukes, Pilots, SWOs and especially Suppos ( :D ) on this forum; yes the navy does pay them, but merely a fraction of what they would earn with their skills in the civilian sector.

I can tell by the nature of your speech that you have a deep understanding and high level of experience with the military and what motivates its personnel to serve, so I won't continue this post by flaming the living hell out of you like I should :D .

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
SoICanBeFree said:
I came to AW for information, initially interested in being a pilot and of course about jets. Then I realized who care about jets, flying choppers or props would be just as great and there are benefits and detractions from every community. Then I further realized it is not as important to receive that SNA slot as to receive the chance to become an officer, but an SNA slot would just be gravy...
DITTO
A4sForever said:
Perhaps the Navy should send most Ensigns to sea for a couple of years after commissioning ?? You know -- to learn about the Navy and how to become a sailor -- before they even thought about flight school ??
That actually sounds like a lot of fun to me; playing SWO!

oztin79

pittmanb8 said:
Don't take it that I am just interested in the money. I just believe that if the program is interested in getting a top notch student that they would not drag their feet for nine months like some have talked about on this forum. It is a scholarship type deal so I feel I am getting cheated if they don't accept me as soon as possible if they like my packet.

I will be turning in my application for commission, letters of recomendation, academic degree completion program, job references, and ESPQ all by the end of next week. My recruiter has not said anything about the ASTB but I thought I saw somewhere that the Civil Engineer Corps didn't have to take it. Does anyone know if this is true???

I don't care if I have the actual cash by Nov 1, but I would like to be officially accepted/sworn in by Nov 1. Does that seem like it is that big of a problem?

Okay, so you sound a little pompous to me. I was sworn into Intel BDCP 24JUN05 with a 3.95, graduating in December and I'm glad they took me. I think your mind could be in the wrong place if you're setting up all these standards that have to supposedly be met by the Navy. It could be the other way around and you're feeling defensive about it. If your DI gets a whiff of this, I want to be in your OCS class to take some of the heat off the rest of us.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
CECEngineer said:
Godspeed: According to http://www.cec.navy.mil/ , the CEC Collegiate program is a scholarship. But I do agree it is not like your typical scholarship like most people think of since you are active duty and getting paid at that pay rate.

Steve Wilkins: Thanks for all the details of the ASTB but I am still not sure if it says that CEC has to take it. I am waiting on my recruiter to email me back to see if I have to take it.

Again I want to thank all those who have helped me get answers to my questions. I can't wait till next week when all my references and other documents will be all in. Then it will just be a few months until I get the hear if I am pro-rec'd or not. It really is exciting to know that I might be able to serve my country in such an honorable capacity. I love Civil Engineering and can't wait to practice what I know for our great country.

The answer to your question is in this paragraph:

a. Applicants for Officer Candidate School, as well as for various direct appointment programs as specified elsewhere in this manual, will be administered applicable portions of the Aviation Selection Test Battery (ASTB). The ASTB need not be administered to nuclear officer program applicants. Nuclear officer program applicants requesting consideration for other officer candidate school programs are not required to take the ASTB unless directed by CNRC. "Form 3" “4” and "5" of each portion of this test battery are in current use.

....as in "various direct appointment programs"

About the PRT, it is not hard to get a score better than that minimum. I'm in the same age bracket as what was listed, and you would really have to NEVER work out to not pass that. If you really just want to barely get by in the Navy, I doubt your career will be very long or successful. On the other hand, I think you have maybe just used some poor wording in your previous posts, and I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you are serious about this.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
threadjack follows .....

Eddie (new name) ... like your new avatar -- Gen Ripper? I can't remember. I know it's not Bat Guano .....

end threadjack .....

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
A4sForever said:
threadjack follows .....

Eddie (new name) ... like your new avatar -- Gen Ripper? I can't remember. I know it's not Bat Guano .....

end threadjack .....

Gen. Turgidson.

Ripper is Mr. "bodily fluids."

oztin79

CECEngineer said:
I have done soul searching and this is what I want to do. If I didn't, why would I be turning in my application to the recruiter. The fact is, real life works based on deadlines. I am putting myself on the line agreeing to work for the Navy in the future. I'm sorry if I am an objective person and feel that there should be a deadline for the Navy to make a promise back to me. I am willing to serve my country and go through all the waiting and application process. But that doesn't mean I can't expect to hear something back in a timely manner. Whether I will or not hear back soon is part of the bureaucracy process but my desire to get accepted as soon as possible shows determination on my part to get into the program.

And to answer the previous post, my first question wasn't how quickly will I get paid. My first question was can it really be as hard as everyone says. Then I asked if I could begin receiving the scholarship by Nov 1 (which isn't all about the money but rather about notification of being officially accepted into the program.)

As much as everyone has preached to me, could anyone answer my question about whether CEC has to take the ASTB.

Also, there appears to be people that are not reading my post--- I AM NOT GOING TO BE A PILOT! Before you tell me to get on a ship before I should be allowed to fly, please read my first post which said I want to be part of the CEC, not a pilot.

I would appreciate it if someone could answer some of my questions instead of questioning my desire to become an officer.

Actually, an attrition rate at OCS (other than health issues) exists specifically because the board isn't right about its selections 100% of the time. A lot of people find out they don't want to put up witht he bs at Quantico/Pensacola or just can't hack it for whatever reason and DOR. If you are selected and paid in a period that meets your stated conditions, there's still 3 months of shoveling heavy loads of sh*t at OCS. I think I'm starting to look forward to it in a sick way. Reminds me of NROTC Indoc at MCRD San Diego.

Sometimes true meaning doesn't come across in email or IMs (etc.), and if you come to deserve your commission and complete OCS, I wish you, and all other candidates reading this, the best of luck. Our job as the few chosen for this honor is to get each other through it, but there will always be a$$*oles on the other side who shouldn't have made it.

wardo

WARDO
What's up guys? I just started the application process for BDCP and I was told to count on 6 months, and that's if you're even accepted. It's pretty elite company as far as I know. Trust me, I'm prior enlisted (ET2), the motto of the military is hurry up and wait. Take the initiative and get everything done ASAP. I have yet to take the ASTB (Aug 10), and my reference letter forms are ready to go out ASAP. Remeber to stay on people who are holding up the process. Any sooner than a deployment (6 months) and you're lucky.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
wardo said:
It's pretty elite company as far as I know.

Ahh yes my friend. Ask anyone on this forum :icon_smil ... We are the elite independant operators of the navy; it's pride and joy. Without us, my friend..... the navy would be nothing more than a disorganized, useless fleet of canoes, aimlessly struggling to stay afloat and protect this nation.

HOORAH

Uncle Sam's Misguided Children
dk009 said:
Believe me its not a case of the Navy needing you, its a case of you wanting to be in the Navy and what you will do to accomplish that goal. good luck on your decision.
Although not with the Navy I just have to say, AGREED! No one is nonexpendable. No matter how hot $hit you THINK you are there is always someone else just like you around the bend that will do the job the same if not better. So deflate the big head and remember the same thing applies to the civilian world too as well as every other branch of the military.