• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BDCP approval timeline: Does it have to take up to 6 mos???

CECEngineer

This is not a 'can I make it' post. I just wonder how hard it really possible could be to get into the BDCP. I hear about everyone complaining about how long it takes and how much they had to do.
I have a 3.74 GPA at Georgia Institute of Technology, Junior status and an Eagle Scout. I am applying to the Civil Engineer Corps. I just starting talking to my recruiter but wanted to know if it is really that hard to get in or does it really take as long as everyone on this forum says it does to get accepted. Someone with a knowledge in this area please respond cause I don't wanna do the program if I don't start getting paid by Nov 1, 2005 at the latest.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Dude, it all depends on what they need. If they really need people for your year and field... and you are highly qualified compared to others applying... you stand a good chance.

If you apply to a year that is full and everyone still applying is just as/more qualified... your chances aren't so good.

The only way to really find out is to start an application and see where it goes.

And... 4 months would be a little fast for anyone to get into BDCP. You need to take the ASTB, get your official scores back, fill out your application, get all the recomendations and work evaluations, submit the package, have it accepted, take your physical, PRT and then get sworn in. And even if you are sworn in by Nov. 1, you won't likely see that money till mid December at best. It took me 3 months to start getting paid.

The fact that you're putting deadlines on money, well... that means maybe you aren't looking at the Navy for the right reasons. Some of us, myself included spent a year or two applying and reapplying to get into BDCP.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
pittmanb8 said:
Someone with a knowledge in this area please respond cause I don't wanna do the program if I don't start getting paid by Nov 1, 2005 at the latest.

If you had EVERYTHING done with your package; LORS sent in, application for commission, ASTB taken, job references sent in, EPSQ done, MEPS completed, and PRT completed, there is a good chance that you will get selected or denied within two months, and start getting paid within a month after that. The weight is 100% on your shoulders to get that stuff in. If you do this in an extremely efficient and timely manner (within the next month), I don't see why you couldn't start getting paid by Nov.

With that being said, if you are letting a petty financial deadline influence your choice to become a naval officer, you definitely need to re-evaluate your reasons for wanting it.

Fmr1833

Shut the F#%k up, dummy!
None
Contributor
Then: What are my chances of getting jets?

Now: What are my chances of getting my money when I want it?

Amazing...

CECEngineer

Don't take it that I am just interested in the money. I just believe that if the program is interested in getting a top notch student that they would not drag their feet for nine months like some have talked about on this forum. It is a scholarship type deal so I feel I am getting cheated if they don't accept me as soon as possible if they like my packet.

I will be turning in my application for commission, letters of recomendation, academic degree completion program, job references, and ESPQ all by the end of next week. My recruiter has not said anything about the ASTB but I thought I saw somewhere that the Civil Engineer Corps didn't have to take it. Does anyone know if this is true???

I don't care if I have the actual cash by Nov 1, but I would like to be officially accepted/sworn in by Nov 1. Does that seem like it is that big of a problem?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
pittmanb8 said:
Don't take it that I am just interested in the money. I just believe that if the program is interested in getting a top notch student that they would not drag their feet for nine months like some have talked about on this forum. It is a scholarship type deal so I feel I am getting cheated if they don't accept me as soon as possible if they like my packet.

I will be turning in my application for commission, letters of recomendation, academic degree completion program, job references, and ESPQ all by the end of next week. My recruiter has not said anything about the ASTB but I thought I saw somewhere that the Civil Engineer Corps didn't have to take it. Does anyone know if this is true???

I don't care if I have the actual cash by Nov 1, but I would like to be officially accepted/sworn in by Nov 1. Does that seem like it is that big of a problem?
My questions are: What are your plans if you don't get accepted to BDCP? and How bad do you want to be an officer?

CECEngineer

If I don't get accepted in BDCP I continue in college and get my degree and then get a job in the private sector. There is a need in the private sector for Civil Engineers.

I would like to be an officer but I am not going to be heart broken if I don't get accepted into the program.

The reason I am so laid back about being an officer and getting accepted into the BDCP program is that the NAVY initially contacted me about the program. By them contacting me, I believe that it is because they are interested in me. I apologize if I am not drooling over the program but the fact is that the Navy contacted me and initiated the whole process so I feel that they would want to get me into the program and get me under contract to work for them.

Does anyone know if Civil Engineer Corps has the take the ASTB ???

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
pittmanb8 said:
... I am not going to be heart broken if I don't get accepted into the program ...... I am not drooling over the program

WOW, sport --- you must be quite a catch. And the Navy contacted you, huh?? A friend/former squadron mate of mine was a CE --- and quite successful as such; but a really lousy pilot and average officer. He's now a politician ....

Oh, God .... be still my beating heart. I can hardly wait for the responses. Turn off the TV. This could/should be beautiful. I'll just sit back, watch, and relax .....

Penguin

Respect the WEZ
pilot
pittmanb8 said:

While you have a very impressive GPA, we really don't know anything else about you. Judging by the tone of your posts, you seem pretty satisfied with yourself, but remember there are an awful lot of highly qualified individuals you will be competing against. As far as the timetable, I didn't join the Navy via BDCP, so I can't really speak to that. HOWEVER, I can say if you approach this with expectations about what is reasonable or fair to you with regard to an acceptance/denial deadline, you'll drive yourself nuts. Bear in mind you are trying to work within one of the largest bureaucratic systems in the world. If you really want it, just prepare your documents carefully and get ready to wait much longer than you think is necessary. If it's done before that, count yourself lucky.

dk009

Pilot in Training
the navy didnt contact you, wanting your skills, a recruiter did. They have quotas to meet. Based on your last post i doubt you would have a very easy time making it into the BDCP program. You have to do a few interviews and with your casual attitude toward being an officer, im sure the navy could find a better candidate. The Navy is downsizing and competition is becoming increasingly harder, if you "would like" or have thought it might be cool to be a naval officer, chances are you wont take the neccessary steps and make the sacrifices needed to do it. I could be completely wrong, im just basing this on the attitude you seem to have toward the career choice you have to make. The bdcp takes a lot of time to do, it took me about 6 months to finnally get accepted and i had similar qualifications as you. Believe me its not a case of the Navy needing you, its a case of you wanting to be in the Navy and what you will do to accomplish that goal. good luck on your decision.

Penguin

Respect the WEZ
pilot
Dang...a minute late and a dollar short. I guess the last several posts came in while I was trying to find a polite way to respond to one of our newest members...I guess discretion has gone out the window.
I will now say what I think. There are already plenty of people who would gladly let someone yank out a finger nail or two for a shot at a commission. You can see by other posts on this site that people have devoted countless hours trying to determine how to put their best foot forward for the boards. That being said, I have two last thoughts.

1. I doubt you're nearly as wonderful as you think you are (who among us is?)

2. Do everyone a favor and leave your package on your desk if you don't really want this. As you already pointed out, it takes far too long for the boards to sift through all the paperwork. At least you could save them a few minutes.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here's some recommended reading and food for thought.

"The world is very different now. For man holds in his mortal hands the power to abolish all forms of human poverty and all forms of human life. And yet the same revolutionary beliefs for which our forebears fought are still at issue around the globe—the belief that the rights of man come not from the generosity of the state, but from the hand of God.

We dare not forget today that we are the heirs of that first revolution. Let the word go forth from this time and place, to friend and foe alike, that the torch has been passed to a new generation of Americans—born in this century, tempered by war, disciplined by a hard and bitter peace, proud of our ancient heritage—and unwilling to witness or permit the slow undoing of those human rights to which this Nation has always been committed, and to which we are committed today at home and around the world.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty...

... In the long history of the world, only a few generations have been granted the role of defending freedom in its hour of maximum danger. I do not shrink from this responsibility—I welcome it. I do not believe that any of us would exchange places with any other people or any other generation. The energy, the faith, the devotion which we bring to this endeavor will light our country and all who serve it—and the glow from that fire can truly light the world.

And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country."

--John F. Kennedy, Inaugural Address

Sorry if this sounds a bit preachy, but I fear you would be taking up a valuable spot for someone that truly wants to be a Naval Officer. And not because it sounds like something cool to do or since it would be a good resume' builder, but because of what it means. Your posts really smell of entitlement, and that scares me.

Penguin

Respect the WEZ
pilot
While we're on the subject of appropriate quotations, here's a nice short one by the same decorated Naval officer:

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction:
"I served in the United States Navy""

I think a good gut check would be for you to watch "Faith of my Fathers." It's about John McCain's years as a POW. While you'd be an engineer you would be still need a commitment of gold.