• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BDCP approval timeline: Does it have to take up to 6 mos???

CECEngineer

I think you are missing the point of this forum for me. I am serious about the opportunity to be an officer but I figure this forum is a good way for people to get true answers to questions they have. Recruiters will tell you what you want to hear but I thought this forum would be a good place to get real experiences from others. I don't have to prove to you how dedicated I am or how much I want this chance. This forum should be a place to ask a real detailed question that might would look bad asking a recruiter. I would hope you don't judge someone's character or officer ability based on what they type behind a computer screen - that is why there are interviews by the Navy in person. But thanks for answering the questions I had.

Those that answered the questions I had helped me out a lot. For those that just lectured me about dedication, you helped me in no way - I am dedicated but my acceptence into the CEC BDCP program does not depend on your viewpoint of my dedication.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Just apply... the worst thing they can say is no. You'll have plenty of time to figure out what you want to do in the meantime.

nugget81

pilot
pittmanb8 said:
Those that answered the questions I had helped me out a lot. For those that just lectured me about dedication, you helped me in no way - I am dedicated but my acceptence into the CEC BDCP program does not depend on your viewpoint of my dedication.

Wow. Seriously go back and read your posts. While we may not decide whether or not you are qualified or capable of becoming an officer, we are the ones that you will be working with. Don't ever burn your bridges, especially if you haven't crossed them yet...

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
pittmanb8 said:
I think you are missing the point of this forum for me. I am serious about the opportunity to be an officer but I figure this forum is a good way for people to get true answers to questions they have. For those that just lectured me about dedication, you helped me in no way - I am dedicated but my acceptence into the CEC BDCP program does not depend on your viewpoint of my dedication.

If you want simple answers to simple questions, simply ask them. Don't ramble on about how highly you think of yourself and describe how imperitive it is you receive your first check by xxx date.

It is the qualities of dedication and perseverance among others that make this navy strong and great. Dedication by definition, is to commit oneself to a particular course of action. Those that are dedicated to become naval officers don't base their decision to become one on a short term, comparitively meaningless foundation.

The people responding to your posts are trying to help you, and recognized what could be a fundamental problem in your attitude towards becoming a naval officer. Don't take it personally, listen to what everyone is saying with open ears, and you will find this forum an extremely beneficial asset.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
pittmanb8 said:
I would hope you don't judge someone's character or officer ability based on what they type behind a computer screen - that is why there are interviews by the Navy in person.

Someone with a knowledge in this area please respond cause I don't wanna do the program if I don't start getting paid by Nov 1, 2005 at the latest.
Interview not required.

pittmanb8 said:
..I am dedicated but my acceptence into the CEC BDCP program does not depend on your viewpoint of my dedication.
That you know of anyway.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
Interview not required.

That you know of anyway.
This guy has "Future COC end-runner arounder" written all over him (reference never, never, never thread).

Good times,

Brett

i

I don't understand this me first attitude. Maybe, as previously stated, before you go through OCS, and in the Marines case TBS. But you should be pleased as an individual to be allowed the privelage of serving your country.

I came to AW for information, initially interested in being a pilot and of course about jets. Then I realized who care about jets, flying choppers or props would be just as great and there are benefits and detractions from every community. Then I further realized it is not as important to receive that SNA slot as to receive the chance to become an officer, but an SNA slot would just be gravy... and there are other ways to serve... besides being Maverik.

<---- True proponent for the officer first, aviator/SNA second line of thinking.

ps.. maybe the Navy needs to send its ensigns to a little Basic School to weed out who really wants to be there and instill a little appreciation for flying..

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
SoICanBeFree said:
ps.. maybe the Navy needs to send its ensigns to a little Basic School to weed out who really wants to be there and instill a little appreciation for flying..

Perhaps the Navy should send most Ensigns to sea for a couple of years after commissioning ?? You know -- to learn about the Navy and how to become a sailor -- before they even thought about flight school ??

Such a policy today might weed out any young boys with motivational question marks in their "resume" ..... ???

titoj

Future former Wall Street-er
pittmanb8 said:
This forum should be a place to ask a real detailed question that might would look bad asking a recruiter. I would hope you don't judge someone's character or officer ability based on what they type behind a computer screen - that is why there are interviews by the Navy in person.

If you have questions that would make you look bad to a recruiter, perhaps there's something about the questions (and the motives behind them) that would raise a red flag with anyone. You'd be surprised how much your character shines through based only on what you type behind a computer screen. Thinking of the many past, present and future officers on this site as your personal question-and-answer service says just as much as the fact that your first question was "how soon can I get paid?"

Your sense of entitlement resonates with me. To this point in my life, I have been fortunate enough to have been cut some slack on the sometimes rigid and seemingly pointless boundaries I've encountered. I don't doubt for a second that military discipline - the very least of which is dealing with a huge bureaucracy - will be a new experience for me. However, I also don't doubt for a second that my drive and desire to serve my country will help me adapt, and that I'll be a much better person for it on the other end. You would do well to do some soul searching as well.

-T

CECEngineer

I have done soul searching and this is what I want to do. If I didn't, why would I be turning in my application to the recruiter. The fact is, real life works based on deadlines. I am putting myself on the line agreeing to work for the Navy in the future. I'm sorry if I am an objective person and feel that there should be a deadline for the Navy to make a promise back to me. I am willing to serve my country and go through all the waiting and application process. But that doesn't mean I can't expect to hear something back in a timely manner. Whether I will or not hear back soon is part of the bureaucracy process but my desire to get accepted as soon as possible shows determination on my part to get into the program.

And to answer the previous post, my first question wasn't how quickly will I get paid. My first question was can it really be as hard as everyone says. Then I asked if I could begin receiving the scholarship by Nov 1 (which isn't all about the money but rather about notification of being officially accepted into the program.)

As much as everyone has preached to me, could anyone answer my question about whether CEC has to take the ASTB.

Also, there appears to be people that are not reading my post--- I AM NOT GOING TO BE A PILOT! Before you tell me to get on a ship before I should be allowed to fly, please read my first post which said I want to be part of the CEC, not a pilot.

I would appreciate it if someone could answer some of my questions instead of questioning my desire to become an officer.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
Perhaps the Navy should send most Ensigns to sea for a couple of years after commissioning ?? You know -- to learn about the Navy and how to become a sailor -- before they even thought about flight school ??

Such a policy today might weed out any young boys with motivational question marks in their "resume" ..... ???
I like that idea.....and I can be their sea pappy. :devil_125

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
pittmanb8 said:
Then I asked if I could begin receiving the scholarship by Nov 1 (which isn't all about the money but rather about notification of being officially accepted into the program.)

As much as everyone has preached to me, could anyone answer my question about whether CEC has to take the ASTB.

I would appreciate it if someone could answer some of my questions instead of questioning my desire to become an officer.

First of all, Turbo, BDCP is NOT a scholarship, in any way manner, shape, or form. I am not sure if you have read an outline of the BDCP program. Here is a brief outline of it and the CEC collegiate program, which is similar to BDCP: http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/noru/orojt/generalofficer.htm

Under these guidelines, it doesn't show a mandatory ASTB for the CEC, however I would contact your recruiter to make certain. Hope this helps.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Took about 2 minutes to find this by putting doing a search on Google. You could have had your answer yesterday. Disclaimer: this information may or may not be correct. Therefore, I highly recommend you contact your recruiter and find out EVERYTHING that will be required of you.

From: http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/noru/orojt/introduction.htm#12

AVIATION SELECTION TEST BATTERY
1. Test Overview

a. Applicants for Officer Candidate School, as well as for various direct appointment programs as specified elsewhere in this manual, will be administered applicable portions of the Aviation Selection Test Battery (ASTB). The ASTB need not be administered to nuclear officer program applicants. Nuclear officer program applicants requesting consideration for other officer candidate school programs are not required to take the ASTB unless directed by CNRC. "Form 3" “4” and "5" of each portion of this test battery are in current use.

b. The ASTB should be given in its entirety to all applicants who indicate an interest in aviation programs. The ASTB is divided into five parts: (1) The Math/Verbal Test (MVT), (2) Mechanical Comprehension Test (MCT), (3) Spatial Apperception Test (SAT), (4) Aviation/Nautical Information Test (ANT), and (5) Biographical Inventory (BI). Testing time is 2.5 hours. From these five parts, six scores are derived, (1) Academic Qualification Rating (AQR), (2) Pilot Flight Aptitude Rating (PFAR), (3) Flight Officer Aptitude Rating (FOAR), (4) Pilot Biographical Inventory (PBI), (5) Flight Officer Biographical Inventory (FOBI), and (6) Officer Aptitude Rating (OAR). Currently the PBI and FOBI are suspended. Please click on highlighted area above for the OGRAM article explaining it.

c. The Officer Aptitude Rating (OAR) portion of the test may be given to individuals who are not interested/not qualified for aviation programs. If the individual passes the OAR, and wishes to take the remaining portions of the test, they must do so within the 180- day time-frame. Taking individual portions of the ASTB are not authorized.

d. The OAR is the term used to identify the single index derived when administering only the MVT and MCT. This is applicable only to non-aviation designators, i.e., all non-engineering OCS programs and various direct appointment programs as specific elsewhere in this manual.

e. The ASTB should be given in its entirety to those recruiting personnel (officer and enlisted) who may express an interest in applying for an officer program or requesting redesignation to another officer community prior to being designated as a test administrator.

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
Yea, recruiters read this sight to get a feel for who the candidates really are. They can't waste time on someone who doesn't really want it. Sure, you got contacted, just like a hundred others got contacted; just the first step in seperating the wheat from the chaff. They are looking for people who are motivated to join because those that aren't don't last a week at OCS and come back to bite them.

Most of us who wear the uniform count it as a privilege and honor to do so and it is the culmination of lifelong dreams to serve. So forgive us if we are less than excited about an applicant who doesn't want it unless he gets college money for it.

BTW, he decision whether or not to accept you is based on a file with a lot less personal feel than this board.

CECEngineer

Godspeed: According to http://www.cec.navy.mil/ , the CEC Collegiate program is a scholarship. But I do agree it is not like your typical scholarship like most people think of since you are active duty and getting paid at that pay rate.

Steve Wilkins: Thanks for all the details of the ASTB but I am still not sure if it says that CEC has to take it. I am waiting on my recruiter to email me back to see if I have to take it.

Again I want to thank all those who have helped me get answers to my questions. I can't wait till next week when all my references and other documents will be all in. Then it will just be a few months until I get the hear if I am pro-rec'd or not. It really is exciting to know that I might be able to serve my country in such an honorable capacity. I love Civil Engineering and can't wait to practice what I know for our great country.